Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Panic - lots of lipstick on the carpet - how do i get it off?

(13 Posts)
Weed Thu 25-Dec-14 11:26:18

Anything greasy....Scrape off any residues with blunt knife...any left apply Surgical spirit with a piece of cotton wool....

Place two layers of kitchen roll on the top of the area and massage with domed part of a dessert spoon...this will release the grease and absorb it back into the kitchen roll rather than pushing it deeper into the carpet

Have fun

Joelise Wed 24-Dec-14 16:13:43

You've reminded me of when DGS was about two & a half, kittylester , he proudly announced that he'd drawn a track ! He had drawn his track with thick black crayon , all over my beige carpet ! Nothing would remove it, even the expert sent by the insurance company couldn't get rid of it. Thus a new carpet tchsad .

Ariadne Wed 24-Dec-14 13:16:04

E how is good too! Once managed to get ball point pen off a damask tablecloth - someone else's tchblush

Tegan Wed 24-Dec-14 12:27:52

I bought a selection of stain devils from Morrissons after getting a blob of mascara on the S.O.'s new curtains [make up mirror was on the window sill shock.

KatyK Wed 24-Dec-14 12:08:00

there is a site called wikihow or something like that. They have solutions for practically everything. May be worth a try. I hope you can get it off.

loopylou Wed 24-Dec-14 10:19:06

Asked Granny and probably resigned ourselves to a permanently marked carpet!

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Dec-14 10:04:53

What did we do before the internet for bits of instant advice like this?
Need some advice on a domestic mishap? Just Google the problem and find a solution.
One of my best results recently was how to rescue a split ganache.

loopylou Wed 24-Dec-14 10:04:23

Breathe again! Have a lovely Christmas!

kittylester Wed 24-Dec-14 09:33:31

I looked at the internet too loopy and was looking in the back of the under the sink cupboard looking for any of the above when I came across a spray called De-solv-it! It was brilliant.

Panic over - thank you all!! flowers

loopylou Wed 24-Dec-14 09:04:51

Quick look on Internet suggests use a stain remover, acetone nail varnish or hairspray but test a small area first. Basically needs alcohol based product, wouldn't think baby wipes would do it.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Dec-14 08:16:58

I don't know hun. I hope it comes off.

Grannyknot Wed 24-Dec-14 08:00:42

This is the best I can offer:
m.wikihow.com/Remove-Lipstick-From-Carpet

kittylester Wed 24-Dec-14 07:51:23

We only turned out backs for a minute but DGD seems to have spread lipstick over quite a large area - what do I do ? Will a babywipe work?