Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Riser/recliner chair

(15 Posts)
Scooter58 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:56:55

Anya,thanks for the link,they are only a few miles away from my home in Wishaw,Vampirequeen,loving the description,my grandsons will love calling it the "Tip the granny out chair".

Charleygirl Wed 07-Jan-15 09:27:01

I bought curtains from Plumbs and had the sofa covered to match. It was done very efficiently. It was a few years ago, I cannot remember the price, but I think that I bought during the sales.

I am still delighted with the 2 sets of curtains and the sofa cover- the one thing that did annoy me was the literature which came through my door for at least 2 -3 years afterwards. One does not recover or buy curtains weekly and i became very irrritated with the sheer volume of glossy brochures.

pompa Wed 07-Jan-15 09:17:30

We had a pair of Norton recliners for many years and had them recovered several times. The cost depends on whether you need new cushions or not, with cushions the cost was nearly 2/3 the cost of new chairs. But as they had stopped making that chair, and we liked them, it was worth it. Eventually the mechanism failed and we had to replace them. We now have a pair of Stressless Recliners, but still hanker for our old ones.

littleflo Wed 07-Jan-15 09:07:01

That is a shame, Scooter, he was a lovely man. We found him through yellow pages, he was the only one in a really wide area. He said it is a dieing trade as people throw away now.

I used to have an Ercol suite, it was covered 4 times in its lifetime and had new cushions twice. Bit like Trigger's broom.......

vampirequeen Wed 07-Jan-15 08:58:26

Oh my that sounds rude.

Sorry we call my mum's chair her tip the granny out chair blush

vampirequeen Wed 07-Jan-15 08:57:23

You could get a quote from a local upholsterer and then make a decision. We had a suite recovered and it was far cheaper than we expected.

It might be more awkward to cover because of the 'tip the granny out bit' but it's worth finding out.

Anya Wed 07-Jan-15 08:42:13

Try these

Scooter58 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:33:34

Would like it to tone in if possible,have had it 4 years now and Mum had it for years before that,leather is wearing and cracking anyway hence the recovering but not in leather this time,tried throws and they just slip off the leather.Thanks for all replies,ahll get a few quotes and take it from there.

shysal Wed 07-Jan-15 08:29:43

If it proves too expensive, could you make do with a throw to match the suite?

Riverwalk Wed 07-Jan-15 08:26:07

I wouldn't bother - does furniture have to match? confused

Scooter58 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:15:40

Live in Lanarkshire Scotland littleflo,someone like that would be ideal though,maybe cheaper than large company,have looked up some numbers in phone book and will brace myself for the quotes smile

littleflo Wed 07-Jan-15 07:53:13

Do you live near Dagenham. We had a lovely retired upholsterer wh recovered some chairs last year.

Scooter58 Wed 07-Jan-15 07:29:29

Thanks Sherish,will have a look at their website,if anyone has had covers from them or any other company I would appreciate feedback,trying to decide between full reupholster or covers.

sherish Wed 07-Jan-15 07:20:49

Plumbs advertise loose covers and have been in business for years. I daresay this being a special chair it would probably be more expensive but not as expensive as a new chair. The covers would also be dry cleanable too. I think you could find their number on Google. These kind of chairs are expensive so it may be worth getting a quote.

Scooter58 Wed 07-Jan-15 06:24:37

I inherited my Mums Riser/Recliner chair when she died 4 years ago.I now wish to recover it as I have purchased a new suite and the colour does not match,it's a brilliant chair and as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis the reasons for wanting to keep it are not just sentimental,has anyone had a similar chair reupholstered or purchased loose covers and if so was it horrendously expensive?.This will be a one time only recover as any future suites will be purchased to match the chair colour.