Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Widows' Pension

(6 Posts)
Katek Sun 11-Jan-15 22:12:27

Thanks for clarification-much appreciated.

bikergran Sun 11-Jan-15 21:22:21

ignore the number 9 I don't know how that got there !!

bikergran Sun 11-Jan-15 21:21:54

katek there have been BIG changes in what used to be called *widows pension" it is now called bereavement allowance which you get if your under state pension.9 you get it for 52 weeks)..I myself am 59 and will receive bereavement allowance until 30th of June this year, I will then have to go on Jobseekers (around £72) a week I believe..so it sounds like your friend may be facing similar. But best she does check up on things and not to leave it until last minute.

Katek Sun 11-Jan-15 21:10:03

Ah....I had assumed (in my ignorance) that she would receive this pension until she reached retirement age as she only works part time. She's 60 at the moment so it's another 6 years before she can claim her retirement pension. On the other hand, my daughter who was widowed at 42 works full time but has a widowed mother's allowance until DGS reaches 16 or 18, not sure which.

Ana Sun 11-Jan-15 20:43:36

You can only claim bereavement allowance (which is what Widow's Pension is now called) for 52 weeks if you are under state pension age. After that, it depends on your circumstances as to what you can claim, but there's no automatic 'moving on' benefit.

Katek Sun 11-Jan-15 20:38:48

Looking for a bit of info - my friend was widowed 9 months ago and was just saying that her pension runs out in March. Why is that the case and is there any benefit she moves on to? She still works but only part time.