Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much of this breakfast could you eat?

(59 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 15-Jan-15 13:07:48

Ignoring the awfulness of scoffing competitions, how much of this 59-item breakfast on offer in Portishead could you eat?

I like savoury foods for breakfast and have a big appetite in the morning (and other times grin) so could polish-off:

2 bacon
2 sausages
2 eggs
1 hash brown
Few beans
1 toast

Big Breakfast

absent Fri 16-Jan-15 02:58:59

I'm pretty sure I couldn't manage all that through the course of an entire day let alone for breakfast and no, we're not all getting fatter.

Tegan Thu 15-Jan-15 23:40:43

On the rare occasion that I stay somewhere that provides breakfast I eat as much as I can and stuff loads into my handbag to eat later for lunch blush. Even though I hate eating breakfast.....

harrigran Thu 15-Jan-15 23:09:06

I only eat a cooked breakfast when we are travelling, we then can drive on without having to stop for lunch. I don't have the whole greasy works, I usually have scrambled eggs, grilled bacon and mushrooms.

janerowena Thu 15-Jan-15 22:16:03

We're going away next weekend, DBH has deliberately booked us into a hotel where the breakfast is only continental and the full English is an extra £7, just because I won't eat enough of it for his liking! I think that's quite funny.

Years ago, I used to do a big cooked breakfast at lunchtime on the occasional Sunday, a brunch I suppose, to keep him happy.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-Jan-15 20:18:02

If the breakfast was in with the price, I could manage a bit more than that Rosequartz.

Ana Thu 15-Jan-15 19:46:55

What do you fry the banana in, Lona? Surely not bacon fat...

rosequartz Thu 15-Jan-15 19:44:12

Bananas baked in their skins (possibly on the bbq) are nice, split open with a sprinkling of rum and sugar and served with icecream.
But not for breakfast.

soontobe Thu 15-Jan-15 19:40:38

Same as Riverwalk but only 1 of everything.

I am interested in fried banana though!

rosequartz Thu 15-Jan-15 19:09:27

I only have cooked breakfast (apart from a poached egg sometimes) when I am on holiday. It's usually porridge or yoghurt and banana.

So let's pretend I am on holiday in Portishead and going for a brisk walk on the front afterwards wink:

2 slices of bacon - only British from free range porker
1 egg
mushrooms
a grilled tomato (although they don't look like fresh tomatoes)
1 slice of toast and butter

Possibly a small sausage if it could be identified as a local, free-range variety

Charleygirl Thu 15-Jan-15 18:57:30

I could divide up the plateful and there would be enough for at least a week.

I have 2 slices of toast with marmalade, more than enough for me. I never have a cooked breakfast.

Iam64 Thu 15-Jan-15 18:53:28

WE love a cooked breakfast at our house. the grown up children and their partners often join us for the long walk, followed by brunch. Our table groans, it's bacon, sausages, eggs, mushrooms, fried tomatoes, fried bread and potato cakes if there are any left over mashed spuds hanging around. Without wanting to sound precious, the bacon and sausages are from the local butcher, who slaughters his own out door pigs. The eggs are free range and we have proper butter and marmalade on our toast, with pots of tea and coffee. Some Sundays we're more restrained, scrambled eggs and toast. But, those meat feasts happen about once a month, total joy smile

loopylou Thu 15-Jan-15 18:36:22

For me? No way, makes me feel sick to look at it! Fruit, yogurt and coffee is plenty.

Agus Thu 15-Jan-15 18:25:56

I couldn't eat any of it. No one needs that amount of food for one meal. Gross!

hildajenniJ Thu 15-Jan-15 18:14:19

I only have a cooked breakfast when I am on holiday. At home a bacon sandwich is a treat. It's usually toast and tea for me.

ninathenana Thu 15-Jan-15 18:13:43

I hasten to add the cooked breakfast is a once a week thing. The rest of the week I have a bowl of fruit n fiber and DH has two rounds of buttered toast.

janerowena Thu 15-Jan-15 17:53:49

No, I can't. DBH gets very cross with me if it is included in a hotel deal, because he can eat a massive breakfast and then not want lunch, but I normally only eat two boiled eggs for breakfast, on their own. If not, then two slices of thin toast and marmalade, possibly tomatoes and mushroom on toast. So when out, I usually have two poached eggs on one slice of toast and then want lunch, just soup or something but it does annoy him because he doesn't want to stop as he is still full up.

Nelliemoser Thu 15-Jan-15 17:50:52

Quite apart from being a veggie there is no way I could eat a cooked breakfast of that size.

A good bowl of cereal does me fine.

Leticia Thu 15-Jan-15 17:49:32

I would want toast with it.

Leticia Thu 15-Jan-15 17:42:52

If I do have an English cooked breakfast when staying away I only ever have bacon, mushroom and fresh tomato.

KatyK Thu 15-Jan-15 17:37:52

River - yes I did sound like a bit of a goody-goody didn't I? I assure you I am not !

Galen Thu 15-Jan-15 17:35:37

The corner cafe is a tiny place. I'm surprised you could fit people of the size their customers must be.

TerriBull Thu 15-Jan-15 17:05:21

Geek yogurt ? grin should have said Greek, but I'm sure Geek would be good too!

TerriBull Thu 15-Jan-15 17:02:46

Gluttony! or even gross to purloin a word from a younger demographic. No wonder we are all getting fatter! We only have cooked breakfasts if we are away somewhere in Britain, or possibly Ireland, but heavens nothing like that much! Occasionally, at the weekends we have a sort of brunch, Waitrose Chorizo sausages, grilled tomatoes, baked beans and toast, or if my husband is feeling benevolent he will do scrambled eggs (he does them so well) and smoked salmon. Weekday breakfasts, Geek yogurt and banana sometimes with a spoonful of muesli on top, or toast and peanut butter for me or marmalade for him.

vegasmags Thu 15-Jan-15 16:55:02

I'm not really fond of breakfast, except when I am on holiday. When in Greece, l love yogurt and honey, followed by fresh fruit. When in the US, my favourite is a diner breakfast consisting of bacon, Western eggs, hash browns, biscuits and country gravy. As a chaser, I like buttermilk blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and a doughnut on the side.

Teetime Thu 15-Jan-15 16:32:28

Nasty nasty!! I usually have Weetabix or porridge if I'm playing golf so need something sustaining but not heavy otherwise it's yogurt and fruit. I make myself have a protein breakfast twice a week which is either 2 eggs and 2 well grilled bacon or small piece of smoked haddock with one poached egg. I feel very very full after this and don't eat much else other than fruit until dinner time.

When I was a Junior nurse serving breakfast used to make me feel ill especially Tuesdays - fish cakes and beans!!!! Yukk.