Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cleaning windows.

(22 Posts)
janerowena Sun 18-Jan-15 23:20:06

Me too.

Treebee Sun 18-Jan-15 22:31:35

I'm with Coolgran and Tendringran, I use 2 ecloths, one wet with just warm water to clean then a dry one to polish dry. Magic!

TendringGran Sun 18-Jan-15 13:20:14

Microfibre cloths- one damp and one dry- for me.

loopylou Sun 18-Jan-15 07:17:43

Absolutely sweetpea! And never admits he's wrong, bless him.

sweetpea Sat 17-Jan-15 23:03:53

I too have bought a window vac. Brilliant, can't get over how clean and shiny the windows are. We have recently had a new kitchen installed and couldn't find the charger, OH made noises intimating I must have put it somewhere, but he has just found it, with a load of other chargers in his Mum's sewing box! Why would I put chargers in there, when everyone knows the go in the empty Quality Street tin in the cupboard under the stairs?! Anyone else's OH have the knack of accusing you of doing something, but not in so many words, but then you start doubting yourself? grin

granjo39 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:37:25

I always use the spray stuff nowadays,I used to use newspaper but found that it marked the paintwork/PVC. So now I use a cheap kitchen paper and my windows are shining.grin

glassortwo Sat 17-Jan-15 20:15:45

I have blamed the shammy which I havent had for too long, I have used washing up liquid and vinegar for years and had no bother.
I try not to go into the front of the house when the sun shines... then I cant see the streaks grin

thatbags Sat 17-Jan-15 20:12:51

Finish them off with a good rub using damp scrunched up newspaper. Just damp, not sodden. Works a treat smile

Katek Sat 17-Jan-15 20:02:48

Have given in and bought a window vac......fantastic!!

ninathenana Sat 17-Jan-15 18:51:25

We have a window cleaner for outside. I use spray and newspaper inside. I am tempted by the window vac on offer in Aldis st the moment.

sherish Sat 17-Jan-15 18:47:31

I have had the same problem with my windows for so long. I have tried everything without success until I tried Lidl window cleaner. Success!! No streaks or smears. Brilliant at 99p per litre spray bottle. You just couldn't credit it could you? I tried it after reading a thread on here a while back about cleaning windows. I won't use anything else now.

FlicketyB Sat 17-Jan-15 18:45:24

I just use a shammy and warm water and do it quickly. Fortunately all my windows have small panes, so smears do not show.

Coolgran65 Sat 17-Jan-15 17:49:24

I had tried everything I could think of/read about for streak free windows and mirrors without success.
Then I discovered e cloths. A pack of two cloths, one to wash and one to polish dry. Add only water.
Perfect results every time, no streaks or smears.
I even use them to damp/dust/wipe/shine my wooden dining table.

NfkDumpling Sat 17-Jan-15 17:21:46

That's my method VQ! Works well in the conservatory and the other windows all have net curtains. They work well too.

vampirequeen Sat 17-Jan-15 17:18:09

If you change your position slightly on the sofa you won't see the streaks. Works for me every time.

shysal Sat 17-Jan-15 16:31:58

I have heard that Comfort liquid in the water gives a streak-free finish, but I haven't tried it. Good old Fairy Liquid works for me with my trusty tool. Double sided squeegee

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 17-Jan-15 16:10:42

Fairy liquid. Not any old washing up liquid. And a Karcher. And an ecloth for final polishing. For the outside it usually involves several mops as well.

vegasmags Sat 17-Jan-15 15:51:53

Forgive me if this is stating the obvious, but as I am one of those people who seem to learn everything the hard way, it's important to use white vinegar rather than malt, unless you want your house to smell like a chip shop. grin

MamaCaz Sat 17-Jan-15 15:43:32

I also use screwed-up newspaper for buffing up my windows nowadays, both outside and inside. I only learnt this trick a couple of years ago, and really wish I'd known abut it sooner as I end up with far fewer smears now - you know the ones I mean: the smears that are totally invisible until you are sat down later with a cup of tea and the sun is shining through the window!

If the insides of the windows are not too bad, I don't add anything to the water (and I never use anything other than plain water on the outsides). If there are greasy marks on the inside, as is increasingly common now my DGC are here so often, I use the green spray if I have it, but otherwise use vinegar, and it works for me.

loopylou Sat 17-Jan-15 15:37:34

Whatever I use or buy I cannot get streak-free windows hmm

Liz46 Sat 17-Jan-15 15:15:20

Either a small amount of washing up liquid or vinegar. Polish up with screwed up newspaper. Good luck! It's a horrible job.

Howjado Sat 17-Jan-15 15:05:04

As I sit here, the sun is streaming through my windows and, oh boy , do they need cleaning. I have them done professionally outside but I can see every smear my cloth has left on the inside. I usually use that green spray on liquid, with a clean lint free cloth. Now I am going to try the old fashioned squeezee and a chamois leather but what do I put in the water? Washing up solution, vinegar?