Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any recommendations for a car which is comfortable with hip/back problems

(47 Posts)
Josie365 Sun 25-Jan-15 21:38:21

Hi. I'm posting on behalf of my mother in law. She wants a new car, she's looking for a small hatch back sized one. The problem is that she has arthritis in her back and has had some problems with her hips also. She likes the height of our Nissan Qashqai but it is too big for what she needs. Anybody got any recommendations for a car which is easy to get in and out of but isn't too big! Thanks.

Katek Wed 11-Feb-15 18:05:41

Snap, Rascal! I'm never out of car wash especially driving on country roads. It looks very smart though. I had a look at the Peugeot 2008 as well but found it was a little too big for me. I do like crossovers though.

Atqui Wed 11-Feb-15 14:14:18

We had a picassonbecause it was easy to get in and out of and found it v. Comfortable and reliable. H now has quashqai for a change, and similarly comfortable and reliable. I love my citroen C 3 automatic, but find there is limited space when using child seat in the back ;I am v conscious that the g c has legs so close to passenger seat which has to be pulled far forward, so hope MiL will bear this in mind if the G children are still in car seats.

rascal Wed 11-Feb-15 13:44:19

Sounds just the thing KateK! The only thing I don't like about my car is the colour - Pearlescent White! It shows up everything! Unfortunately I didn't have a choice as it only had a few miles on the clock and I needed something higher. It was a much more reasonable price than a new one!

Katek Wed 11-Feb-15 12:54:59

I'm currently driving Renault Captur diesel automatic. It's got a fantastic driving position and as it's higher it's easier to get in and out of. Seats are very comfortable, reasonable boot space and very, very good on fuel consumption. It's not quite as refined as my Jazz was, but good visibility was what sold it to me. I'm very little, only 5', so good driving position is essential. Took me a while to get used to chunkier, longer bonnet but fine with it now. It also comes in funky colour combinations, mine is sort of cream/vanilla coloured with black roof and trim! Bit Op Art really.

rascal Wed 11-Feb-15 12:34:18

Hi Josie 365 Have you thought about a Peugeot 2008 Crossover for your MIL. Sorry to hear she has Arthritis. This car is a bit higher off the ground and is a good height for someone suffering from Arthritis.

I had a Honda Jazz and found it difficult to get in and out as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis ad Fibromyalgia but I'm finding this Peugeot much better. It is a hatchback automatic Diesel and is very good on fuel consumption. It isn't all that bigger than the Jazz but it looks bigger because it's higher off the ground.

Here is a link, hope it works!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=peugeot+2008&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GUEA_enGB611GB611&q=peugeot+2008+crossover+review&gs_l=hp..4.0l5.0.0.3.7866113...........0.u5bMXlG5d14

Oh goodness! think it would be better just to Google Peugeot 2008 Crossover!

rosesarered Wed 28-Jan-15 21:57:37

I have back problems but the present car we have is the most comfortable ever, a Ford Fiesta Zetec.The new model.Not only comfy [especially on a long run] but good on fuel, and really quite roomy too. I am really impressed with it, and will stay with this model when it's time for a change.Funky raspberry/plum colour too!

tanith Wed 28-Jan-15 15:03:37

Coolgran can I just ask you if your DH has any problems with the visibility front and back, I am at present looking for a Qashqai the only negatives I've read are that the posts each side of the windscreen are wide and cause problems with visibility and the rear view is very obscured.. not so worried about the rear view as the car has rear parking sensors but did worry a little when I read that the front view is obscured by the windscreen posts...
Be interested to hear your views..

HildaW Wed 28-Jan-15 14:43:27

Our Jazz was good for my back but I hated driving it. We now have a bit of an oddity its a Toyota Verso 'S' which is just a little bit higher and seems even more roomer despite not being any bigger. Added bonus is that I like driving it!

Coolgran65 Wed 28-Jan-15 00:44:24

I love my DH Qashqai. It's easy to get in and out because of the height and the boot space is massive. My own car is a Ford Focus and is used much less, only 1200 miles in the last 12 months. 5 doors for getting dgc in and out, great boot space for bikes, etc and I moved a wardrobe and chest of drawers on my own.

Prior to the Focus I had a Vauxhall Agila, New model, easy to park and only £35 road tax. A typical ladies car. Sadly it wouldn't hardly pull us up a good hill, the power wasn't there. Also only get 2 Tesco bags in the boot.

After 6 months changed to the Focus. Only one that comes close to my all time favourite, my Toyoto corolla that I had for 9 years. Still going strong when I traded it in.

30 years ago grove a Lada for a month with no power steering. I believe that was the start of diffs with my right shoulder.

Deedaa Tue 27-Jan-15 22:54:10

I've been driving a Chrysler PT Cruiser for nearly 10 years and it is very easy to get in and out of if you are not very mobile. The seats are comfortable - and heated! Unfortunately that's where it all stops! The turning circle is horrendous, the visibility is practically non existant, the head lights are rubbish and the reversing light might as well not exist, the central locking often doesn't work and the tyres have a tendency to go down. I've kept it this long because no one else is daft enough to want it - but it is easy to get into grin

jenn Mon 26-Jan-15 20:13:25

I adore my Jimny but it,s awful on fuel and a high tax band, comfy seat though and high.

rubysong Mon 26-Jan-15 18:30:11

I made myself a 'sausage' about 4" in diameter and 18" long and when I get it in the small of my back any car seat is comfortable. It is an old quilted mattress cover rolled up and covered with fabric.

Tegan Mon 26-Jan-15 18:06:09

The S.O. was a rep and had a bad back from driving thousands of miles each year for many years. He started driving a Toyota and found his back problems disappeared.

Iam64 Mon 26-Jan-15 17:57:07

I have back problems and found a Toyota Yaris I hired comfortable, easy to drive, spacious and economical. At home I drive a 6 year old Skoda Fabia. The model was one of the Which or What cars of the year. It's comfortable, the seating position is good, economical, easy to drive and so reliable.

Purpledaffodil Mon 26-Jan-15 14:08:15

How coincidental! Have just done the research/ rounds of car showrooms and ordered a Nissan Juke. It was a choice between that and a Peugeot 2008 which is the crossover version of the 208. Loved the driving position of the Juke and rear vision seemed fine, it also has rear cameras for extra help. Friend has had the older model for three years and loves it. New version has more boot space and back seat folds down for runs to the tip. Even better it is made in the UK, so doing our bit for the lads in the North East. (DH hails from there so felt it was very important) Peugeot looked fine but salesman was reluctant to arrange a test drive and it was more expensive for similar specs. Hence the final choice.

FlicketyB Mon 26-Jan-15 13:51:39

Some years ago someone I knew with back and knee problems swore by the battered old farm land rover her son had passed on to her.

shysal Mon 26-Jan-15 13:32:52

I was advised against a Nissan Note because it has electric steering. How this differs from power steering I haven't a clue. Perhaps it is heavier.

Ariadne Mon 26-Jan-15 11:02:59

DH was given a Nissan Juke while his Qashqai was being serviced, and it was very nice, just like a smaller Qashqai, which I find very comfortable as a passenger, and with all the operations and arthritis I have / have had that is a real tribute!

Katek Mon 26-Jan-15 11:00:55

Diesel version of Note can be quite noisy. Prob ok for short hops but could get wearing on longer journeys.

Galen Mon 26-Jan-15 10:58:14

My old C class merc was lovely. I only got rid of it because it wouldn't accommadate an electric hoist which I needed for my scooter. The B class I replaced it with isn't nearly so comfy!

annodomini Mon 26-Jan-15 10:11:57

My Toyota Yaris has done me proud for 12 years, though it's now a bit long in the tooth. The driver's position is high enough and adjustable enough for me. It's easy to get into and out of but if I was getting another Yaris, I'd get a 5-door model as mine is a bit awkward for back seat passengers. Moreover, it hasn't cost me much for maintenance. I endorse what someone said about the Nissan Note. My sister and BiL have one and it's wonderfully comfortable in front and back seats and very easy to get into and out of.

Katek Mon 26-Jan-15 09:34:36

I loved my Jazz but decided against a second one. Nothing to do with the car but I'm never as happy with a second version of the same car. The other fab little car which might be suitable is the original Mercedes A class. You can't get this design new anymore but should be able to get a good second hand one. The new A class is a totally different animal.

shysal Mon 26-Jan-15 09:25:37

I agree with Greyduster and Katek. I love my Honda Jazz because it is higher than some other small hatchbacks. Since a previous shoulder injury I have changed to the really smooth automatic CVT version, and would never go back to a manual gearbox. I intend to stick to a Jazz for the remainder of my driving years!
I hope you find something suitable for your MIL.

Greyduster Mon 26-Jan-15 09:14:00

The Honda Jazz is a very good car in that (and every other) respect. Very easy to get in and out of. We have a Civic and it is a nightmare for me. I've been in potholes that we're easier to get out of than the Civic and to add insult to injury, DH has just ordered another one! The seats are very comfortable and supportive though.

Teetime Mon 26-Jan-15 08:48:54

We love our Qashquai too and I have arthritis in the spine but the next one down the Juke may have a similar structure and be small enough for her needs.