Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm one; Anyone else? an O.. F...

(45 Posts)
Nytsom Sat 31-Jan-15 13:04:13

Pleased to be one!

Old Fart Pride!

I never really liked the terminology "Old Farts" but this makes me feel better about it.
And if you aren't one, I'll bet you know one!
I got this from an "Old Fart" friend of mine!

OLD FART PRIDE
I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only 'old fart' receiving it. Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.
Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the National Anthem, Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.
Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbour , Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam .
If you bump into an Old Fart on the sidewalk he will apologize. If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust strangers and are polite, particularly to women.
Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection.
Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.
Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.
It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politicians, but by the young men and women in the Air Force, Army, Navy and RCMP, serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.

Thank Goodness for Old Farts!

Pittcity Sun 01-Feb-15 08:44:22

Our town has a Facebook group for reminiscing called "Old Farts and Fogies" and I am proud to be a member grin

absent Sun 01-Feb-15 01:57:07

I think the thing about keeping the sword arm free applies to the groom standing at the altar during the wedding ceremony. The walking on the outside of the pavement is to avoid ladies being splashed by passing hansom cabs.

Left-handers fence left-handed and, as there are far fewer of them and right-handers rarely fight them regularly, they are especially difficult to defeat. I was lucky because my fencing master was left-handed.

POGS Sun 01-Feb-15 01:55:10

Nytsom

Well I fully understand what you are trying to say, in a fashion I thought was supposed to be a jovial tongue in cheek fashion.

Why!

Because you have just described my dear dad and I do not find the term 'Old fart' patronising, I think it describes my dad rather well, he was 'a true gentleman with character and loyalty ' to the tee.

Penstemmon Sat 31-Jan-15 22:35:34

Of course I like people to be polite and thoughtful, caring and generally good citizens. Who wouldn't ? That's not being an Old Fart. Old Farts imo are smug and rather arrogant and believe in the myth of 'the good old days' and do not want to listen to the opinion of anyone who does not think exactly as they do!

p.s i often walk along the street with women friends ..who should protect who in that situation! wink

Jane10 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:05:58

My nephew once brought a family party to a standstill when he suddenly called my Dad (anyone's idea of a perfect old fashioned gentleman) a 'boiling old fart'. Talk about misheard lyrics! Give him his due, Dad happily accepted his new title and at the next party turned up wearing an old fart badge. Bit worried about the boiling bit -jalfrezi based?!

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 21:52:43

I think I would find that rather annoying.

Deedaa Sat 31-Jan-15 21:28:31

Walking on the outside is all very well but DH has always infuriated me by pretty much picking me up bodily and chucking me onto the inside if I've forgotten and started walking along the outside!

Eloethan Sat 31-Jan-15 18:28:01

Old Fart - old tosh.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 17:53:24

I was defining DH as a 'boring old fart' using some of the definitions above.

However, he doesn't 'tip his cap' as he doesn't wear one and has been known to swear in front of me - but not at me!

harrigran Sat 31-Jan-15 17:50:03

I prefer to think of DH as a gentleman, he always walks on the outside, holds my hand to cross the road and does all the other polite things. Being born in 1946 I consider myself to be a baby boomer.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 17:10:27

I am not going to be offended by any old fart who holds a door open for me; I would do the same for the person behind me, unlike the tattooed muscular young fart in a vest who let a heavy shop door slam in my face when my hands were full of parcels.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 17:07:55

Mr Bags is an old fart too, but he's not boring and he is an egalitarian wink.

rosequartz Sat 31-Jan-15 17:05:35

thatbags on the inside of the pavement to prevent your crinoline from being splashed with muddy water when the horse and carriage go through a puddle of course!
grin

I think that DH is a boring old fart, but I wouldn't change him for anything.

I am neither an old fart nor a baby boomer so am all at sea - who or what am I?

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 16:25:39

Happy days eh?
Makes more sense than swords anyhoo.

Elegran Sat 31-Jan-15 16:11:28

I live in a city where it used to be customary for slops to be thrown out of the upstairs windows of tenements with overhanging storeys (to the cry of "Gardyloo!" or "Watch out for the dirty water") The explanation for a gentleman walking oin the outside of the pavement was that the lady was then under the overhang, and less likely to be deluged (dirty water was a euphemism, it was the chamber pots that were being emptied).

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 16:06:29

Even back when I was a kid you'd not get very far down the street wearing a sword anyway.
Someone would call the police for sure.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 15:47:23

I've been told the sword story too, retiredguy, and wondered the same thing about left-handed swordsmen, but I expect left-handers just had to learn fencing skills right-handed.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 15:44:55

On the contrary, grumppa, if you walk on the outside out of habit and because it is comfortable for you, that is fine. I have a comfortable side myself; I prefer to be on the right side of whoever I'm walking with, but that's because a problem with the sensitivity of my right ear. I always used to walk on the outside of Minibags when she was a small child, for reasons of safety and, dare I say it, protection. But that is because a child needs protection near roads. Walking on the outside of an adult because you prefer it is a perfectly good reason for walking on the outside. Walking on the outside of a woman to protect her is just nonsense nowadays unless one lives in a very barbaric country.

I prefer the term egalitarian to feminist/ism, because then the equality, whatever it is, applies to everyone, male or female.

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 15:39:51

grumppa! smile

grumppa Sat 31-Jan-15 15:35:53

Having been rigorously brought up to walk on the outside I find it slightly uncomfortable not to. But I suppose my discomfort is as nothing compared with feminist principles.

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 15:22:52

(If the road was wet or muddy, of course...)

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 15:22:20

I thought men used to walk on the outside to protect women from being splashed by a passing coach and horses!

soontobe Sat 31-Jan-15 15:19:43

I like the op.

But am a bit aghast at "Old Farts trust strangers"
No no no. Trust has to be earned.
Trusting strangers means you are far more likely to be conned or worse.
I am all for chatting strangers on the bus, plane, in a coffee shop.
But a general trusting of strangers can be dangerous.

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 14:53:50

I was brought up to always walk on the outside if walking out with my gran, mum or aunts.
Gran reckoned it was something to do with keeping the man's sword arm free so that he could draw his sword and defend the lady.
I've often wondered how that worked for left handed men.
I don't tip my ( flat) cap as it has been carefully trained to remain in place on my pate.
A forefinger to the brim 'salute' suffices and that irrespective of gender.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:50:26

OMG!!! They don't do that as well do they? shock. (lentils that is)