Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Special whisky

(17 Posts)
kittylester Sun 01-Feb-15 09:15:08

Ages ago someone mentioned a really good online drinks company (in Scotland, I think) that had a wide selection of whiskies. I've searched but can't find it, can anyone enlighten me - please!! It is DBiL's 75 birthday soon and we'd like to get him something special!

It might have been Ariadne or Phoenix who knew of it! Thank you!

Teetime Sun 01-Feb-15 10:44:28

DH is a bit of a whisky buff and always recommends Bunnahbain an Islay malt but not to peaty. (I have probably spelt that wrong). Some years ago whilst visiting Holyrood the ghillie there told us the Macallan was 'the finest of all whiskies'.

annsixty Sun 01-Feb-15 11:07:30

Try the Whisky Exchange kitty . DD sends DH good whisky and good gin from them direct to us.

Jane10 Sun 01-Feb-15 11:32:17

Check the Scots Malt Whisky Society. They're the experts.

harrigran Sun 01-Feb-15 11:52:41

We have had whisky from Whisky Exchange too, worth a try kitty.

Riverwalk Sun 01-Feb-15 12:27:33

Why not try English whisky?

London whisky

This small independent distillery was given London’s first licence to produce single malt whisky in over 100 years. I'm not sure if it's ready for release yet as apparently it has to sit/brew/stew or whatever whisky does for years before it's official - something like that!

They also do a very nice bespoke gin which is ready - I bought some.

janerowena Sun 01-Feb-15 12:35:48

We have the oldest English whisky producers very near to us, and they do make wonderful whisky, as DBH and FiL and their family can testify.

https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/the-distillery/history

However they do also have some very special whiskies in stock.

DBH likes Islay malts and Arkwrights

https://whiskyandwines.com/

Or the Whisky exchange

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

Are my first ports of call if The English Whisky Co doesn't have anything in their wonderful shop. I go there first because I feel I should support them and because they sell fantastic cake and coffee .

kittylester Sun 01-Feb-15 12:55:38

Thank you all for your suggestions! Following posts on gn, I bought both DH and DS1 Adnams which they both love.

A couple of years ago, I bought DH a box of 'tasters' with notes on each which, I think, was from a company in Scotland which is what I am trying to refund, without success!

janerowena Sun 01-Feb-15 13:00:33

Refind? I see! I remember the thread.

Greyduster Sun 01-Feb-15 13:13:32

The Macallan is certainly an excellent malt if you like Highland malts - Dalwhinnie is another, but my go-to is Oban. It has a taste of the sea and has a lovely smoky finish. Jura is another favourite, but I don't care for the new blends. DH bought me a bottle of Jura 'Superstition' and it was not to my taste at all. If you are ever in Bakewell, they have a lovely malt whisky shop there.

Galen Sun 01-Feb-15 13:30:20

The Welsh do one as well.

Ariadne Sun 01-Feb-15 15:52:25

Oh, I love Talisker best of all, though.

NfkDumpling Sun 01-Feb-15 19:20:27

Janerowena - we went to a lecture on whisky last week by a chap from the English Whisky Company near you. Fantastic! Most entertaining - and with samples.

His main theme was that there is no such thing as good or bad whisky. The water source is irrelevant since it's made from distilled water. There is no right or wrong way of making it. Blended is as good as single. They're all different, it's all down to personal taste. The one you like best is the good whisky! He rather put the mockers on expensive whisky being the best.

annsixty Sun 01-Feb-15 20:02:02

I would agree with that.I personally don't like some malt whiskies as I find them so smokey and peaty as to be unpleasant. At the moment I am into Bourbon and Irish whisky.

annsixty Sun 01-Feb-15 20:04:36

By the by kitty sorry about Stuart Pearce. A small digression.

janerowena Sun 01-Feb-15 21:17:37

I bought DBH a blended islay malt this xmas - he loved it. As I don't have a clue what I am buying and can't stand whisky, it was a great relief. It was blended but still phenomenally expensive, as it was made from several very expensive ones.

I couldn't help thinking that it was a bit like mixing all the dregs of wine bottles together at the end of a party in my teens!

kittylester Mon 02-Feb-15 06:54:01

annsixty, thank you! I think he will always be a legend despite everything! Though the mood in our house is very sombre! sad

I think that's my problem,*Jane*, can't stand the stuff so I'm at a bit of a disadvantage! grin