Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To Kill A Mockingbird

(9 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 03-Feb-15 19:46:11

Is anyone else excited at the news that Harper Lee is to finally publish a sequel.

Harper Lee

We've only waited 55 years.

Unbelievable really, hope it's not a hoax!

Soutra Tue 03-Feb-15 20:01:50

Looking forward to reading this-To Kill a Mockingbird one of my all time favourite books.

Iam64 Wed 04-Feb-15 12:33:41

Yes, I'm excited Riverwalk. To Kill a Mockingbird is a wonderful book, I loved the film with Mr P as well

KatyK Wed 04-Feb-15 12:37:16

I loved the book and the film and bought the book for my granddaughter. She loved it too.

Ariadne Wed 04-Feb-15 13:16:18

It will be so interesting! I always loved teaching TKM - it never failed to draw in even the most reluctant readers, and there was always more to be learned from it.

Anniebach Wed 04-Feb-15 13:26:55

At first I was excited , now not sure, possibly I want to keep that little family in that time and together , how sentimental is that

KatyK Wed 04-Feb-15 14:45:26

That's a good point Annie.

whenim64 Wed 04-Feb-15 14:49:59

I'm looking forward to reading it. It was only a couple of months ago that I read Mockingbird again.

absentgrandma Wed 04-Feb-15 15:28:04

I've an odd feeling about this. Lee apparently wrote 'Go Set a Watchman' before TKMB, sent it to a publisher who liked the flashbacks to the adult Scout's childhood and asked her to enlarge on it. Consequently TKMB was written and published, while 'Go Set a Watchman' was put on the 'back boiler' so to speak. Now, if I'd written one book, been asked to write another as a 'prequel' to publish first, the prequel had sold in the phenomenal numbers that it did, would I...or more importantly the publisher ..... 'forget' about the original submission? Either she was extremely forgetful, or the publishers weren't up to the job. It doesn't add up to me.