Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Granddaughters

(56 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 17-Feb-15 19:55:26

As a mother of two sons, gran to a boy and a girl and a still-practising nurse I can't believe that I have to ask this but, to cut to the chase, when with your GD how do you refer to her genitals?

I have GD(5) staying with me for half-term - at bath-time I was helping her to dry and and asked if she'd done her 'privates' properly - yes grandma, I've done my 'bits'.

It was so simple with boys and I was always precise ..... it was a penis.

Mothers of girls please advise!

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 21:07:55

Our 5 year old GD calls her bits her foofoo.

Mishap Sun 22-Feb-15 21:07:22

My grandmother was a Devonshire lass, one of about 10 siblings, and used to work as a midwife before she married. She used to tell us about delivering babies in barns. When she used to bath me when I was very small she would ask me if I had washed (imagine broad Devon accent) "down in under!"

One of my DD's friends always refers to her bits as her "wiggy."

etheltbags1 Sun 22-Feb-15 20:52:15

yes thanks stansgran, Im ok but its a long day just sitting at home in cse I get an infection. I just stay away from people, I do still look after dgd but I cant take her out in case I meet germs. but its a small price to pay for (hopefully) my health I the future.

Stansgran Thu 19-Feb-15 17:00:39

Etheltbags I was thinking about you and hoping you were doing well.

etheltbags1 Thu 19-Feb-15 13:44:16

'we refer to our bits as 'bits' but my friend always says 'Mary' ie; 'I was washing Mary'
could be worse I suppose..

gillybob Thu 19-Feb-15 12:49:54

Me too janeainsworth (as in caught with his trollies 'round his ankles).

BTW my youngest DGD refers to her little brothers undies as his underknickerpants smile

janeainsworth Thu 19-Feb-15 12:30:14

I thought trollies were knickers Glamma!

gillybob Thu 19-Feb-15 12:29:50

Apparently not Ana Bl**dy scruff ! grin

glammanana Thu 19-Feb-15 12:27:55

DGD (12) refers to her "girly bits" whilst DGS (11) has always referred to his "trollies" we have no idea where he got it from confused

Ana Thu 19-Feb-15 12:20:53

You mean she didn't wash under her arms?? shock

Margsus Thu 19-Feb-15 12:20:30

Family!!

Margsus Thu 19-Feb-15 12:20:06

Always been a nunnie (noonie?) in our familu

gillybob Thu 19-Feb-15 12:05:44

I remember an old work colleague saying that she was in so much of a rush one morning that she could only manage a quick of wash of the 3 F's. I admit to having to think about it ! shock

janeainsworth Wed 18-Feb-15 17:48:39

Ruby perhaps that's where the phrase 'not on your nellie' comes from. Never thought of that.

Also presumably deflowering a young girl derives from some people referring to their bits as their flower.... never heard of that either.

We always just refer to our bottoms!

rubylady Wed 18-Feb-15 16:31:33

It was always "nellie" when I was growing up. confused

yogagran Wed 18-Feb-15 13:25:21

This reminds me of a time hundreds of years ago when my two DC were in the bath together. My DS (age probably around 4) looked at his younger sister and asked why she looked different to him. A brief explanation followed then he said "so she's just the same as me, just inside out"

BTW it's "bits" in our family too

rubysong Wed 18-Feb-15 13:15:54

When DGD was a baby her mother referred to her 'lady parts'. Don't know if that is still the phrase used.

Ana Wed 18-Feb-15 13:14:27

Sarah Millican says 'nunnie'. It must be a Geordie thing as well as a London one!

Anne58 Wed 18-Feb-15 13:05:01

Cari , puts a whole new light on Morris dancers, jingling their bells and whacking their sticks as they sing "with a hey nunnie no" grin

(yes, I know it's probably "nonnie" in those old folk songs............)

Lona Wed 18-Feb-15 13:03:49

My littlest calls hers, her flower, and my other dgds used to use 'precious' when they were little.
When I was small it was 'tuppence' or as my mum used to say "keep yer'and on yer 'appenny'!

Agus Wed 18-Feb-15 12:49:05

What a dreadful thing to do to a child Anya. Your immediate connection will of course be, robbing banks mine, on the other hand......blush

Iam64 Wed 18-Feb-15 12:42:52

That's exactly right whenim64, the draw round me body always got participants talking about the consent issues around our bodies. I can't remember a course when a new name for male and female bits wasn't learned (by the tutors anyway). Mum was a Manchester lass and we always had front and back bottoms.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Feb-15 11:32:51

DD's chums (all 6 or 7) seem to use "nunnie" It may be a London thing as most of their mums have always used this too whereas in Manchester none of us did (front bottoms up there!)

My sil grew up with 'fanfare' which is my absolute favourite of all time

Anya Wed 18-Feb-15 11:28:07

Galen you had a goldfish called Lysistrata grin ?

Anya Wed 18-Feb-15 11:26:55

Slightly off thread, but Agus jogged a memory. I once taught a boy called Robin Banks. I mean, who'd do that to a child?