Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Tassimo - yes, no, which one, something else instead?

(54 Posts)
kittylester Wed 25-Feb-15 10:13:26

Dh and I are considering buying a Tassimo or the like and I'd be glad of opinions good and/or bad. Thanks a lot! brew

Agus Sun 01-Mar-15 20:41:07

Anya grin

HUGE disappointment Deedaa smile

Deedaa Sun 01-Mar-15 20:20:09

Actually the reason I gave the Nespresso to DS was that I hadn't realised that George Clooney didn't come with it. grin

Anya Wed 25-Feb-15 23:04:52

Calm down Agus it's not good for your blood presuure wink

I love my coffee. I have a cafetière, plus one of those machines that grinds the beans, then converts the grounds into a good cup of coffee and finally my Tassimo, which I love for making a cappuccino. Can't have too much if a good thing.

Deedaa Wed 25-Feb-15 22:18:18

50 million Italians can't be wrong baubles grin I've got one that will do about 10 cups that I use if anyone is staying and the espresso machine can't keep up with demand. I've also got a 2 cup one that I keep as back up in case of power cuts. We did have a Nespresso which made beautiful coffee but I got fed up with the whole cliquey Nespresso thing and gave it to DS. He uses the pods that Lidl sell and they make very nice coffee too.
DH bought one of Jingles little coffee gadgets and it works beautifully for an americano style coffee. It took months to get through the first lot of filters. For my cappuccinos I use my lovely Francis Francis machine (great bargain on ebay)

Obsessive about coffee - moi?

baubles Wed 25-Feb-15 22:00:08

my days always begin with coffee made in this pot Never fails.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 21:05:45

Agus grin

Ariadne Wed 25-Feb-15 20:57:28

I said this last time this topic was posted (been on GN too long!)

I have tried every machine and contraption going for making coffee - I cannot abide instant coffee and am really fussy about my brew. I have disposed of all of them, pods, filters et al. You never get a decent sized cup of hot coffee from the machines.

But once again, I am back to cafetières of different sizes, my SmartCafe cups (insulated mugs with a built in plunger) a large vacuum flask to keep extra coffee warm (hate saved coffee myself...) and a couple of over a cup filters. Columbian ground coffee every time, and yes, don't use boiling water.

Agus Wed 25-Feb-15 20:28:04

I got into the link, saw George Clooney......what was the article about again? wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 19:51:01

Well, that's a bugger. Nice picture of George Clooney as well!

Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 18:45:08

Forgot to add, the non-Nespresso ones tend to be plastic not aluminium.

Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 18:44:09

I can't open that link but I think the patent for the pods recently expired so anyone can now manufacture Nespresso-compatible pods.

You can buy Fair Trade ones from Waitrose.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 18:38:37

this is interesting You can use Lidl (and other) pods in the Nespresso.

Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 18:35:01

Nespresso collect the used pods when they deliver or you can return them to one of their stores.

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 18:28:02

aluminium is indeed recyclable- but how many take the trouble to open the pods to empty them, and put htem aside for recycling. Consumer research here showed that over 90% end up in the bin (tons and tons).

Agus Wed 25-Feb-15 18:22:05

I buy dualit or cafe pod pods from Waitrose or Sainsbury's, both compatible for my Nespresso and cheaper than nespresso's own brand.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 18:20:40

Yes. You're right Lilygran. It's just for me. DH gets the instant stuff. shock

amarmai Wed 25-Feb-15 18:09:27

Chiming in for Nespresso- got it for free from my daughter -not sure if it was expensive. But i use it daily for espresso - it can make all different kinds. It uses aluminum pods which are expensive but aluminum is recyclable? I had to clean the filters once in 4/5 years when it tasted bitter. I have used all kinds of coffee making units - this is the easiest and clean up is almost non existent.

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 17:44:10

How about a Senseo machine is you don't drink much coffee. They are very reasonable in price, and they use coffee pods, a bit like tea-bags- and they can also go straight into the compost (although I used to break mine in two to quicken process). We had two of those in the past- and the coffee was good too.

Pittcity Wed 25-Feb-15 17:43:36

The charity Count The Kicks collect used Tassimo pods and packets to raise funds.

HildaW Wed 25-Feb-15 17:34:41

...and as pompa reminds me....I always let kettle boil....then wait a good 5 mins for it to cool down...then use it - and slightly heat milk if using it.

HildaW Wed 25-Feb-15 17:32:01

Expensive to get locked into one name.....I went back to the good old cafetiere and then I can take advantage of any bargains....or treat myself to a luxury blend from local deli from time to time. Had a state of the art espresso machine for a few years but reverted for the sheer convenience of the old plunger. Once I found that you can buy all metal ones....hate the glass liners.....its been a doddle.

pompa Wed 25-Feb-15 17:22:42

Hot water is not good for coffee, it brings out the bitter tastes, which is why we think continental coffee is not hot.

Lilygran Wed 25-Feb-15 17:15:34

And the coffee is hot because unless you drink espresso, you top up according to taste with hotter water. Coffee gets bitter if made with boiling water.

Lilygran Wed 25-Feb-15 17:12:09

I have an Aeropress like jings. I love it! Only drawback is if you have a number of people to make coffee for. OK for two or three. Or onesmile

Agus Wed 25-Feb-15 16:40:32

In that case kitty, Tassimo would fit the bill for a quick coffee and if you go for this machine, Cafe Crema which gives a frothy top, is a good taste.