Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Digger in the garden

(18 Posts)
jo1book Wed 25-Feb-15 14:24:30

Some animal is digging holes in my garden. The hole is about a foot deep with kicked back earth all over the place. Also, it has vigorously dug up hyacinth bulbs and nibbled them. What is it?

loopylou Wed 25-Feb-15 14:26:15

Badger I think, we have them here too.......

janerowena Wed 25-Feb-15 14:30:26

Foxes nibble at bulbs too. My mother has both in her garden. Mind you, it's her own fault, she puts out food for them.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/4957325/Urban-foxes-digging-up-spring-bulbs.html

annodomini Wed 25-Feb-15 15:16:35

Possibly badger. I think there is one digging holes under a hedge at the end of my garden. My former neighbour thought there was a set on the other side of the brook. Either the badger can swim or it has discovered the bridge a couple of doors down.

J52 Wed 25-Feb-15 15:30:03

I too had this mystery. Recently a badger set was confirmed at he bottom of our garden! At least I now have an answer, despite having the holes. I hope they eat the slugs! x

loopylou Wed 25-Feb-15 15:33:04

They'll happily eat slugsJ52 but aren't exactly discerning where they dig, as our 'lawn' found out!
Great creatures to watch though, and wonderful to spy on badger cubs playing -they like jam or peanut butter sandwiches too!

shysal Wed 25-Feb-15 15:53:15

I find that feeding the badgers on peanuts stops them digging. They have visited every night for 16 years and done no damage. Mind you, it has cost me a fortune in sacks of nuts, but more entertaining than TV!
I have uploaded a photo of them onto my profile.

J52 Wed 25-Feb-15 15:58:07

Lovely photos. At first I thought the chocolate orange cake was for them!grin x

Riverwalk Wed 25-Feb-15 16:02:16

From the thread title I thought a JCB had turned up! grin

jo1book Wed 25-Feb-15 16:02:35

They are digging right under the bird station with fat balls et al. Will try the peanuts, as very reluctant to stop feeding birds.

jo1book Wed 25-Feb-15 16:11:09

Just been told by my husband that hole is deep. Worried about set in grden.
Our garden is, in fact, a courtyard which, as property is on slight slope, has an undercroft. Surely, badgers would not live underneath within feet of our front door!

shysal Wed 25-Feb-15 16:50:33

Oh dear! Watch out for subsidence! I hope your DH is wrong.

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 17:08:25

J52- have you spoken to Pam Mynott at the Leicester Badger Group- she would be keen to give advice and also to record the sett. There used to be a very large sett in Meadow Court Road- but never hear of one your way.

annodomini Wed 25-Feb-15 17:24:15

shysal - what great photographs! I haven't been down the garden recently - it's slippery and I am afraid of falling - but when I pluck up the courage, I will be out there to see if there's been any more digging.

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 17:37:48

Badger cubs are normally born in January, and it is a busy and hungry time. Problem is, badgers can cause quite a bit of damage, so if it is a new phenomenon- do try and deter them from establishing territory before they consider themselves at home! Badgers are hugely territorial and rely on scent. They have an anal gland, with the scent of the clan, and will 'sit' regularly to mark the ground and also each other.

One of the first thing to try is to find where they are coming in- and get all the males in your household to take a walk to the garden as often as poss and sprinkle the area with their urine (and try not to get arrested!) - at night might be best if overlooked ;)- the sooner the better.

BTW Pam Mynott is an ex teacher and lives quite near in the small town next to you that begins with an O.

J52 Wed 25-Feb-15 17:42:12

Granjura. We back on to a land locked field. The survey has come about due to a planning application!!!
We were walking back from Stoughton Rd one evening and a Badger crossed our path! So they are still there!
Thanks for the suggestion of the Badger group. x

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 17:48:06

Pam would be very keen to survey a sett so far into town. A real surprise! And of course it might even affect the planning ap. As said, I used to work with her at G. school- and also with the Leics and Rutland Badger Group. Give her my best regards.

Jane10 Wed 25-Feb-15 21:18:47

Lovely shysal! I agree -better than tv to watch!