Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

That's a compliment?

(79 Posts)
Anya Tue 24-Mar-15 11:18:22

Came down stairs this morning after my shower to be greeted by 'your face is all lovely and shiny' from DH hmm

rosequartz Fri 03-Apr-15 17:57:18

DH just says 'it's no good asking me' if I ask for his opinion.

janerowena Fri 03-Apr-15 15:02:15

Cambridge M&S suits DBH and I perfectly - the men's department is over the road from the women's!

Coolgran65 Fri 03-Apr-15 10:05:32

I often go to the local M & S Outlet Centre. DH and I part ways at the door. He looks about and then goes outside and sits on the bench. If I see something I fancy.... take it to the window on the hanger.... He nods yay or nay. If he nods yay... I try it on.... I'm thinking of a recent jacket.... and he then nods yay or nay !!

If I bring something home and try it on.... he'll tell the truth, a keeper or a return. A keeper gets the response... that's fine. If he really likes it, the response of 'that's fine' goes up a tone.

If he says nay..... I don't ask why ??

Somethimes I say..... 'I don't want fine'...... fine is a boiled egg.... 'I want better than fine. If it's only fine I'll take it back' !!

Of course, his opinion doesn't apply to everything, most stuff I know I want it and will keep it. Often when I ask his opinion it is because it is something a little bit different looking.

Most definitely he is not involved in the buying of underwear.

pompa Fri 03-Apr-15 08:59:11

If I didn't stand behind DW cracking the whip, she would spend hours trying to find something a bit cheaper than what she really wanted in the first place. If she knows what she wants, size/colour etc, I try to get her to order online and delivered to out local M&S food store (she buys all undies from M&S)

ginny Fri 03-Apr-15 08:36:14

I'm afraid I can't stand DH doing any shopping with me far less for underwear . Harvest pants and straightforward bolder holders don't take a lot of choosing. grin

janerowena Thu 02-Apr-15 23:05:50

My stepfather chooses my mother's underwear. I always found that a bit odd. But then, I find both of them a bit odd.

loopylou Thu 02-Apr-15 13:54:32

OMG, the thought of DH buying lingerie with or without me, don't even want imagine the shenanigans! tbuhmm

ginny Thu 02-Apr-15 13:50:14

If I ask DH how I look in something he glances and then says ' yea, fine' . He can't understand why I always ask DDs for a second opinion.

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 21:55:14

DH has never been one to come and help me shop for clothes and underwear. I see men hanging around the underwear department and suggesting items to their wives and it puts me off looking.
He would have no clue what matched anyway grin

janerowena Wed 01-Apr-15 20:33:30

I think I can safely say that obsession is not an issue in our house. We sometimes pass each other in the evenings, one coming in and the other going out, and one will say 'Hello! Remember me?' And the other will reply 'Who are you and what are you doing in my house?'.

KatyK Wed 01-Apr-15 15:10:38

He's actually a very nice man but even after over 40 years of marriage he is obsessed with his wife. I wouln't like it (like that is ever going to happen!) Of course I only have her side of it.

janerowena Wed 01-Apr-15 12:04:42

Oh no, I would hate that! Does he do the washing? I can't think why else he would know. Creepy-sounding, if not. I know all of DBH's. He does sling things out, but then so do I, if they are badly worn.

KatyK Wed 01-Apr-15 09:49:02

A friend of mine reckons her husband knows every single item she owns, including underwear and jewellery. If she tries to put anything in charity bags he goes through them and says 'I like you in that, put it back' and she does confused

KatyK Wed 01-Apr-15 09:47:19

It is funny. Bless em. smile

janerowena Mon 30-Mar-15 23:26:20

grin It's awful, yet funny, isn't it. DBH accused me of having bought a new dress about two weeks ago. Not that he would mind, but he said it as if I hadn't bothered to tell him or show him. I was able to point to the slide show on the computer behind him, which clearly showed me wearing it on holiday last year! Only not with leggings under it and a cardigan on top. A jacket however is less easy to disguise. How can anyone not recognise or remember their partner's coat? grin

KatyK Mon 30-Mar-15 11:00:35

Well mine surpassed himself yesterday. I have a brown leather jacket which I have had for about 5 years. I wear it at least 3 times a week, it's lovely and comfy but quite stylish so I wear it a lot. We went out yesterday for lunch and I put the said jacket on and DH said 'I haven't seen you in that jacket for ages' confused

janerowena Sat 28-Mar-15 23:31:48

I have to praise DBH's cooking to the skies once a week, when he cooks (and uses every pot and pan we possess). If I don't, he sulks. Occasionally it isn't great, so I am less effusive but still thank him, because I know how long (of course I do!) it takes to cook a meal from scratch, and how much work and thought goes behind it. However, he barely acknowledges my meals. DS on the other hand, is very grateful and always thanks me. He says that DBH has grown to expect meals of a high standard and doesn't know how lucky he is, having been to friends' houses for tea. In other words, I am taken for granted in that area. I know I am. I could get very annoyed about it.

But I don't, because DBH is actually very kind and considerate in other areas. Irritating though I find his lack of show of appreciation verbally, he buys me lots of little things he thinks I might like when he is out, brings me tea and coffee every morning and when he isn't at work, takes me wherever I want to go for days out, and never queries how much I spend. So I tend to think, he may not say much, but there must be something about me that he likes!

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 22:28:43

Anya chokes on her malt whisky!

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 22:27:11

grin

No?

pompa Sat 28-Mar-15 22:25:08

Pompa chokes on his coco

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 22:21:31

Come on Pompa you know you do these already......???!

pompa Sat 28-Mar-15 22:10:12

Hmmm hmm

washing the kitchen floor -- bringing the washing in -- cooking the tea

Perhaps I should try one of those.

Anya Sat 28-Mar-15 21:59:04

I tend to say 'thank you' rather than pay compliments.

'Thank you for washing the kitchen floor without being nagged asked'

'Thank you for bringing the washing in and hanging it up to air'

'Thank you for cooking the tea tonight'

do these count pompa ?

pompa Sat 28-Mar-15 21:46:36

Mrs P does compliment me on a job well done and when I am clean and tidy (but I can't remember when I was last clean and tidy confused)

rosequartz Sat 28-Mar-15 18:45:36

pompa all the time, especially for a job well done around the house and garden.
And how nice he looks when clean and tidy.

Otherwise he would never do any more jobs!
Or get his hair cut, or get out of his gardening/diy clothes!

Men like their egos boosting

I do so enjoy your posts btw, so intelligent, reasoned and informative grin