Gransnet forums

Ask a gran


(7 Posts)
Hayanddom Thu 26-Mar-15 21:53:38

Hi I'm new to this and would like to ask a question and would be very grateful for any info anyone has. My daughter is struggling to look after her 3 year old son and has asked me to take over Looking after him and him to live wiith us. I was just wondering the about the legal side of things. We are all in agreement of this so I was wondering if anything has to go to court and would I be able to claim child benefit for him without any legal forms?

pompa Thu 26-Mar-15 21:54:57

Sounds like a question for Citizens Advice

Anya Thu 26-Mar-15 22:54:29

There are also several people on GN who would be able to answer your query, but they may be asleep by now still out on the town. If you don't get an answer tonight then reboot the thread and try again tomorrow.

TwiceAsNice Fri 27-Mar-15 08:34:22

Surely this is a private arrangement between you and your daughter sp no- one else's business. My understanding is that child benefit now has to be paid into a bank account so if your daughter sets up a standing order to transfer the child benefit amount to your account you have the money instead of her and nobody is any the wiser. If money is the only issue I would not involve social services I work with them alongside my own job and am rarely impressed by their " help "

TwiceAsNice Fri 27-Mar-15 08:34:58

So not sp

Iam64 Fri 27-Mar-15 08:43:35

It's good to read that your daughter knows she needs help and that you're happy to care for your grandson.

I don't think you could claim child benefit without having some form of legal responsibility, such as parental responsibility or a special guardianship order. CAB or the Family Rights Group may be able to clarify this. The Family Rights Group has a website which you may find useful. It may help if you and your daughter see a family lawyer together - I'm thinking about who will sign medical forms, who will apply for a passport for example.

When you're talking things through with your daughter, consider how much involvement she wants in her little boys life, what level of contact, will/does he see his father/fathers extended family. Other grans I know in your situation have sometimes found themselves very stressed by the practicalities. Best wishes, I do hope it all goes as smoothly as possible.

Greenfinch Fri 27-Mar-15 09:00:50

We did this for the first 13months and it certainly didn't have to go to court. Because it was so near the birth ,social services and health visitors knew about it but were very happy and never followed it up. In fact they have never queried about if they ever went back ! I know of several grandparents who have taken over this role and there has never been an official problem. So long as the nursery or school know you are the official carer there should be no problem.
I don't know about the financial aspect as we never claimed. Whether my daughter still got the money I can't remember. Good luck on what should be the beginning of a very happy time for your household.