Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The Fear Of Flying

(80 Posts)
Parcs Mon 13-Apr-15 20:12:38

I have family abroad and have not seen them for many years because I am afraid of flying.

I have missed out as have my family because of it.

Has anyone gotten over the fear of flying I would so love to find a way

soontobe Sat 18-Apr-15 21:09:08

Great.

Parcs Sat 18-Apr-15 16:01:06

Only if you are all willing to get on the plane with mesmilee

Seriously though I will do it one day

soontobe Fri 17-Apr-15 18:24:27

Will it help if we all cheer you on hopefully all the way Parcs?

tanith Fri 17-Apr-15 16:58:28

My sil went on a course at Heathrow and although she did eventually manage to get on the end of course flight she hasn't actually flown since , so not sure it that's a success or not! grin I know it will take a month of Sundays to get my OH on a plane that's actually going to take off.

Parcs Fri 17-Apr-15 16:25:11

I had a chat today with the guy from an airline that helps people get over their fear of flying and according to him, it takes them just ONE DAY to cure people, I have my reservations to say the very least!!

He claimed their success rate is 95% I couldn't resist asking him if they hypnotised people!!

Katek Thu 16-Apr-15 17:58:06

Not at all! Think there were a lot of them like that, maybe they could only share their experiences with others who had gone through it. Got my squadrons wrong....he was 230 (Sunderlands) at PD, then 202 and 242 OCU (Hastings)

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-15 17:14:36

They didn't talk much did they? Dad was involved in a secret mission to Murmansk at the beginning of the war (I think) and we're still trying to find out as much as we can. He told me the plane was hi-jacked and they hitch-hiked back but he used to tell me such stories with a twinkle in his eye!!

Katek Thu 16-Apr-15 16:17:48

Just waiting for my brother to confirm squadron but it could be 201. Dad was in Rhodesia at some point during the war training fighter pilots. He was always very reticent about this time in his life, and I only found out a few years before he died that he'd been torpedoed on the way over. He was flying Sunderlands out of PD in 1956, then Aldergrove, Dishforth, Thorney Island. We spent 60's in Germany, middle East and Biggin Hill.

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-15 15:40:34

201, Katek. Calshot, Invergordan and Pembroke Dock during the war then after the war he moved to signals command and we spent the fifties in the middle east.

Katek Thu 16-Apr-15 15:21:37

Merlot, I know exactly what you mean! My father flew Sunderland flying boats out of Pembroke Dock in the early 50's and then moved onto Hastings. Wouldn't it be strange if they were in same squadron?!

merlotgran Thu 16-Apr-15 14:49:01

I used to feel safer if my father was with us because I thought that if anything went wrong he'd be able to take over but illusions were shattered when he said, 'I wouldn't be able to land it, Honeybunch, it's not a flying boat!'

Parcs Thu 16-Apr-15 14:44:55

katek How nice to hear your story. I think the fact that you felt connected to your Father was what did it for you. smile

Katek Thu 16-Apr-15 14:38:22

I didn't fly for over 40 years which people thought was odd as I'd been brought up on numerous RAF flying stations and had a pilot for a father. That was actually part of the problem I think, as whenever we flew commercially he wouid sit and find fault with the pilot's handling of the aircraft. Talk about a back seat driver! My brother and I could not make ourselves fly... I had other issues which didn't help, but I was far too aware of what needs to happen on a flight. We also had accidents on station.

Some 4/5 years ago I had to get to a squadron dinner at which there was a presentation involving my (late) father. I had to be there, no question, and the only way I could do it in the time we had available was to fly. So I did. It wasn't easy, don't get me wrong, but it had to be done and I just kept thinking how much my father had loved flying. It gave me a positive focus and I felt very connected to him. I was so proud of myself when I got off that plane! It really hadn't been anywhere near as bad as I had envisaged, I had it hyped up in my head and it simply wasn't like that at all. I also realised that commercial flights are not the same as RAF flights or my exacting father's expectations.

Since then I have flown when I've needed to, and my poor, patient DH has finally got his holidays in the sun. I wouldn't say it was my favourite thing in the world but there are bits of it I quite enjoy, and I know it's worth it to achieve what I want.

There is so much help available out there and there's a world of experiences waiting for you. Go get them.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Apr-15 17:19:38

tanith is the little chap in the rucksack really two already? shock you should have brought him back as hand luggage, problem solved

I'm very claustrophobic but have no fear of flying - nowt so strange as folk!

tanith Wed 15-Apr-15 16:39:14

thanks jane and Cari , yes he's 2 in June does seem like yesterday to me too.,.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Apr-15 16:33:32

tanith gosh is your little GS 2 already??
I remember when he was born!
Have a lovely birthday with him sunshine

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Apr-15 16:31:08

I once took the train to Gibraltar (from London)

That's another thing that helped me get over the flying thing! Particularly the sleeper bit that took forever - top bunk where you couldn't even sit up did nothing for the claustrophobia and the flatulent carriage-mates didn't help much either

It was a long time ago though - may be better now

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Apr-15 15:40:38

And what do I know anyway?! hmmgrin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Apr-15 15:37:15

Cari, yes. Take no notice of me. A placebo is as good as anything else. smile

tanith Wed 15-Apr-15 15:28:05

And NO he never gets to Gibraltar but I'm booking my flights today can't miss the little chaps 2nd birthday smile

tanith Wed 15-Apr-15 15:27:18

Thanks petra others here already suggested the same on another thread also taking the train which isn't that difficult although quite expensive... I'm still working on him and I don't want to do all the driving as last time I drove in Spain, myself and a lorry had an argument so I'd need to get my own gumtion up to drive there.. grin

petra Wed 15-Apr-15 15:17:47

Tanith. I'm assuming here that your DH never gets to Gibralter?
What about driving. Make a little holiday of it on the way down.
You can cut the trip in half by taking the ferry to Santander.
From there the Spanish motorways are superb. The scenery in Nothern Spain is stunning.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Apr-15 15:09:14

Jing it may have a placebo effect on me or a real one but if it works I'm happy!

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-15 14:27:17

Thanks, Cari. I must have missed it or maybe it was before my time.

jingl, I'm not a nervous flier these days but I know quite a few people who are. DD believes Rescue Remedy helps so I think that's better than taking tranquilizers.

I don't think fear of flying has anything to do with generalized anxiety. I know some really calm and collected people who hate flying and avoid it at all costs.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 15-Apr-15 14:21:54

My DD benefitted hugely from the BA fear of flying course.