Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suncream

(7 Posts)
Teetime Wed 15-Apr-15 14:17:01

I use up mine until its gone as its very expensive although I know they do say its not as effective if its past its sell by date but they say that about all make up and I don't really take any notice - haven't had any adverse effects. I am just thinking maybe I wouldn't do that for children though best not to take risks with delicate young skin.

Agus Wed 15-Apr-15 14:12:44

I'm not willing to throw out half a bottle of suncream and have been using what's left from the previous year for years. It still does what it says on the. bottle.

soontobe Wed 15-Apr-15 14:07:53

I use mine over 2 years.
I did do it 3 years once, and the suncream did not do its job.

Lona Wed 15-Apr-15 14:07:26

Should have been "don't last"!

Lona Wed 15-Apr-15 14:06:22

I've had sun creams for years that have still been effective even though the 'experts' say that they don't!
I'm sure last years will be ok. Let's face it, you don't know how long they've been sat in a warehouse do you?

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 15-Apr-15 14:05:09

Check out Martin Lewis hints for saving money on ( and before ) going on holiday. There is a good paragraph on sun cream use by dates etc....

kittylester Wed 15-Apr-15 13:54:49

Just before the sun disappears for the rest of the spring/summer, can anyone tell me whether it is safe to use last year's suncream? We never use up a whole bottle and it costs a fortune for just a few days of sun so should I buy more every year or not? And, actually, did I buy it last year or the year before? I'm tempted to just buy those tiny ones which are meant just for holidays each year and throw them away at the end of summer!