Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ready bed or Inflatable Mattress?

(20 Posts)
helmacd Fri 24-Apr-15 17:52:59

Thanks to all for your contributions. smileHowever the room is not that big; daughter and partner have sofa bed; older grandson (4) has fold out bed and there's not much space left - rather like sardines. I've decided I'm going to risk a readybed.....watch this space!

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 20:55:19

A futon kept in a spare room is a good idea, we used to have one and it was a sofa bed in a corner, pulled out it made a double bed.

Granne72 Thu 23-Apr-15 20:25:13

We bought a fold up bed last year for our 3 year old grandson , he sleeps well in it and when not in use it folds up in the corner of the bedroom.
It is like this although I think ours came from Argos :

www.tesco.com/direct/jay-be-evo-folding-guest-bed/290-7211.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=290-7211&ui=mercury&sc_cmp=tp1_ppc_g__&kpid=290-7211&gclid=CPXBwbOTjcUCFST3wgodF1wAyA

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 19:48:54

grin

Anne58 Thu 23-Apr-15 19:39:29

Maybe not relevant when looking for a child's bed?

Some years ago friends and their 4 children used to come and stay with exdh and I.

Being a bit short on spare rooms, I bought an inflatable mattress to P & D to sleep on the floor of the sitting room.

On the first night, once all the children were in bed sleeping bags on the floor of DS's room, we decided after the last bottle of wine that it was bedtime for grownups too.

The bed was inflated, pillows, sheets and duvet all installed. We said our good nights set of for sleeping quarters. Husband D decided to go to the bathroom before turning in. Wife P was already ensconced in bed and reading a few pages of her book whilst waiting for her DH.

We heard him going down the stairs, then a brief period of silence. This was followed by a series of shrieks and then the sound of helpless laughter.

Wife P is 4ft 10", and a slight little thing, husband D was 6ft tall and solidly built. His getting onto/into the blow up mattress had shifted the air somewhat which resulted in P being catapulted up and out of the bed! shock

harrigran Thu 23-Apr-15 19:28:43

I tend not to worry too much, GD1 has been known to take her duvet and sleep on the bathroom floor when she thinks there is a spider or fly in her room. She sleeps on squeaky blow up beds at sleepover parties and when the other granny has her room.

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 19:22:51

GS was 3 when he started sleeping on it

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 19:13:40

Good idea MM, our GS sleeps on our futon, not far to fall if he does roll off. I find it too hard, but younger bone are OK with them.

MiniMouse Thu 23-Apr-15 19:11:00

Have you considered a futon? My DGD slept on one very happily for ages until her bedroom was refitted.

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 18:24:05

shock how do you know, have we slept together !

Mishap Thu 23-Apr-15 18:19:50

They call it the "farty bed."

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 18:15:14

We have a good quality king size inflatable mattress, very comfortable, BUT !!! I find it difficult to get up off the floor these days, so we rarely use it now.

annodomini Thu 23-Apr-15 18:09:08

My GC all had ready beds at one time and slept very well on them. There's a wide variety in both quality and price. My youngest GS has a trundle bed that fits under his own. I think they came as a pair from John Lewis.

whenim64 Thu 23-Apr-15 17:49:42

I bought a trundle bed which slides under the single bed and provides a comfy mattress on a sturdy bed frame. Perfect for children and small adults. It cost less than £90 about four years ago.

Mishap Thu 23-Apr-15 17:37:31

I have found that the GC do not sleep very well on blow-up beds. They can be noisy and make you feel a bit sea-sick every time you move.

vampirequeen Thu 23-Apr-15 16:00:21

We have a couple of fold out chairs. Prior to that we used inflatable mattresses but make sure you have an electric pump.

tanith Thu 23-Apr-15 15:54:45

We also bought a blow up double bed from Tesco , my daughter says its very comfy..

Marmight Thu 23-Apr-15 15:45:08

I bought a blow up mattress at Christmas (from Tesco) to accommodate extra guests. It is amaaaazing! I think it cost about £45 but it is a double - singles available too. It has it's own built in electric pump and is far more comfy than many beds I have slept in. Because it is full of air, obviously, and can be a bit cool I put a duvet under the bottom sheet for extra warmth. I left it inflated while I was away for 3 months and it hasn't deflated at all. DD slept in it and was very happy. I also have a put-u-up bed with a 3" mattress which is ok for children, but nothing would persuade me to sleep on it! The blow up mattress fits into a bag about 15x15" and can easily be stored unlike the puu. Hope this helps.

Teetime Thu 23-Apr-15 15:31:32

Our 'camp' bed is from John Lewis I think they are about £60. The mattress is very good as is the frame- easy to operate folds in half and lives under the stairs until needed. the boys (age 15 and 10) say its very comfie.

helmacd Thu 23-Apr-15 14:46:04

I'm awash in details and reviews of inflatable ready beds and inflatable mattresses. Travel cot no longer acceptable for nearly 3 year old and limited space for an alternative. Ready beds sound ideal until you read that they are noisy and the material is cheap nylon. I worry that he may roll off a mattress. And for every bed I think looks OK I can find really positive reviews and really negative reviews. I need it soon and I need it to be a reasonable price. Help!!