Children of the 1960s

TriciaF Mon 04-May-15 18:32:52

We had quite a morning today, haven't recovered yet.
In our village we are one of 4 british families, and the other 3 ALL contacted us with problems this morning.
I was planning to go to the market, but before I had even eaten breakfast the first lot came round - "We've been away for 8 months and now the phones don't work - can you help?"
Then another bloke came round, whose wife had left him and gone off with the kids - "I've decided to go back to work - can you adopt our dogs?"
Then my best friend, just back from the UK, is broken hearted because her oldest son has left his lovely wife and gone off with another woman.
All 1960s children - have they no staying power? Can't they sort out these problems which they created themselves? They seem to think they're entitled to a carefree life. Depend on us oldies to sort for them.
Ours are 60s children, we have enough helping them, fingers crossed they're coping at the moment.
Never got to the market btw.

Ana Mon 04-May-15 18:38:10

There are probably quite a few Gransnetters who are 60s children themselves - be careful what you say, Tricia! grin

MamaCaz Mon 04-May-15 19:00:42

Born in '61, I think I fall into the category of sixties' children.

While I've made plenty of poor decisions / bad choices in my life, I don't recall once turning to my parents, or anyone else, for help since leaving home at 18.

DH ( who I left home to be with at 18, dispute the fact that he was 15 years older than me and still married to his first wife at that time) and I have muddled through as best we could, and are still together now, so I don't think I could be accused of having no staying power. DH's staying power must be pretty good too to put up with me! grin

Leticia Mon 04-May-15 19:23:51

I thought it was a thread like the 1950s childhood one and I was a child in 1960s too - I think we have staying power!

TriciaF Mon 04-May-15 20:33:25

Sorry if I've offended some of you with this - maybe it's just the needy ones we get in France, with more money than sense.
I was just feeling frustrated, and wanted to blame someone.

vampirequeen Mon 04-May-15 20:49:04

I don't know if it's the result of being a sixties child or the fact that they trust you enough to turn to you which in a way is a compliment.

I couldn't turn to my mum as she's a 'you've made your bed now lie on it' person.

MamaCaz Mon 04-May-15 20:49:11

Don't worry, TriciaF - I don't think any of us have been offended. I certainly haven't, anyway.

Perhaps you are just seen as a lovely helpful person by all these people smile

rosequartz Mon 04-May-15 21:08:46

I thought you meant those of us who were teenagers and having a great time in the 1960s grin

I don't know; two of mine are children of the 70s and I have heard some of their age group make very disparaging remarks about Generation Y (children of the 80s)!

Iam64 Tue 05-May-15 08:15:29

I heard a group of young people who were at school together and are now the ancient age of 30 complaining that children these days are so rude to teachers…….