Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Very old washing machine

(22 Posts)
hildajenniJ Sun 10-May-15 20:47:08

My washing machine started spinning. Suddenly there was a very loud noise. It had scuttled across the utility room floor and was knocking against the toilet. I emptied it and pushed it back to its proper place. I rotated the drum to see if I had missed any socks. It gave a most peculiar squeak and the drum was stiff to turn. Have the bearings worn? It is at least 22 years old. Do you think it's worth getting someone to look at it, or should I buy a new one?

Ana Sun 10-May-15 20:59:29

It does sound as though the bearings have gone.

You could have them replaced (DH did that with our old one) but I'd bite the bullet and get a new one - it'll probably be more economical in the long term as modern ones are cheaper to run.

pompa Sun 10-May-15 21:25:44

Certainly sound like the bearings have collapsed. It is quite possible that after 22 years the shaft is also damaged. I would not think it economic to repair, time for a nice new machine IMO.

Mishap Sun 10-May-15 21:43:17

It certainly does sound as if a new machine is needed. In these days of built-in obsolescence, 22 years is a darn good run I think!

hildajenniJ Sun 10-May-15 21:50:14

Absolutely Mishap it's only needed repaired once, after I'd had it for 13 months. It has been a very good machine. I will certainly buy another Indesit. I don't need the expense right now though. The car is to MOT this week, and goodness knows what that will cost!

Greyduster Sun 10-May-15 22:16:15

Same thing happened to mine not long after we moved house (you did very well to get 22 years out of it! Mine did ten!). It was going to cost nearly as much to get it repaired as it was to buy a new one.

Bez Sun 10-May-15 22:27:37

When mine I'd that sort of thing it was the stabilising weights which had dislodged - no fixing and a new on required.

AshTree Sun 10-May-15 22:48:57

Our washing machine is almost that age - around 20 years old I think. The dishwasher too, which we bought at the same time. The w/machine has been repaired a few times - the last time it was a new drum costing £80. Our faithful repairman (truly one of those very trustworthy sorts, never charges for callouts and on at least one occasion didn't even charge for a minor repair) said then that he would understand if I wanted to call it a day and get a new one. I asked him if I would be able to get a comparable machine, to which he replied, only if I was prepared to spend 2 or 3 times the average cost. He said most new machines nowadays would be unlikely to last a third of the time I've had this one.
However, it can't go on forever, so next time it goes... it will have to go!

Falconbird Mon 11-May-15 16:55:37

Speaking of washing machines does anyone have a washer drier. I inherited one and the washing machine part is excellent but I worry about the drier aspect and can't work out where the condensation goes.

bikergran Mon 11-May-15 17:09:53

Falconbird there may be a drawer somewhere (could be at the top or bottom) of the machine that you pull out and empty the water from he drier bit, just a thought! you could always Google the make of the washer drier and ask "where does the condensation go from the drier" just a thought smile

Funnygran Mon 11-May-15 17:12:59

I had a washer dryer years ago - useless! The dryer merely blew hot air without the drum rotating. I hope they've improved since then. As far as my washer goes, after going through 3 or 4 cheaper ones I took out a 2nd mortgage and bought a Miele! It is now about 15 years old and has never ever let me down.

glammanana Mon 11-May-15 17:21:18

Hilda before you splash out on a lot on repairs for bearings get someone to check the brushes in the top of the machine,do you have someone who has a wee bit of knowledge ? we where told by our friendly Hoover man that they are far more likely to go before anything else and can be replaced for a couple of £s and bought from any Washing Machine repair shop,it has been known for machanic's to say the bearing have gone and charged accordingly and it has really only been replacement of the brushes that was needed,a fact that a mear mortal would know nothing about,my OH has changed the brushes 3 times on DDs machine over the past 6 yrs.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-May-15 17:48:31

grin. Buy a new one. That one probably takes loads of water and eats electricity.

AshTree Mon 11-May-15 18:06:03

Mine is a washer/drier - the water condenses and is removed from the machine via the drainage hose. You can hear it trickling every few seconds as it runs away down the drain.

Falconbird Mon 11-May-15 18:14:07

Thks Ash Tree and bikergran - I did Google it and the system sounds complicated but Ash Tree has summed it up very well.

I only use it in emergencies eg. when the grandchildren come round and their clothes need to be washed and dried before mum comes back - My Dil is very tricky.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 11-May-15 18:26:16

My Hotpoint top-loader is over 30 years old and still going well. It has hot and cold fill and although the thermostat went a while ago, you just stick your hand in the top to get the water as hot or cool as you want it. The filter tray which fits on at the top is crumbling though, so if anyone knows of somebody who has one to spare and is prepared to sell it, please pm me, as I don't want to get a new machine until I absolutely have to!

Greyduster Mon 11-May-15 18:36:53

I had a washer dryer some years ago. I thought it was hopeless. There is not enough room in the drum to dry the clothes properly. A separate washer and dryer, if you have room for one, is a much more efficient combination.

Bez Mon 11-May-15 18:52:18

wheniwasyohrage I am SO jealous of you having a top loading Hotpoint. I have had a couple of them and my mother did too - my last one was a nuisance in a fitted kitchen but something went wrong and the repair man knew nothing about that type I think and it never worked properly again and I replaced it with a front loading washer/dryer. As others have said they are not so good - with my one the dryer would only manage half the wash load so that was a nuisance. In fact when we had room we bought a dryer and only used the washer part of the dual machine.

rosequartz Mon 11-May-15 19:28:16

I have had two top loaders, but I am not so sure that I would swap back to one; I like my front loader and it is so much more efficient.

DD has a top loader and you can get a lot more in it for a family.

hildajenniJ Mon 11-May-15 19:48:25

I am going to buy a new one. I can't afford it yet though as the car has it's MOT this week. I have been looking on line at the washers and I have my eye on a new Indesit. I'll have to use the launderette for now. I asked my DH what he thought, and he said to get a new one. ( He's a notorious skinflint). So that's okay. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

FlicketyB Mon 11-May-15 19:56:35

Even if you tried to repair it, it will probably prove impossible because the parts will no longer be available

Nelliemoser Tue 12-May-15 09:30:19

I have a 15/16yr old Zannussi which was my parents and I swapped my old one for their 3yr old one when I cleared out my parents bungalow.

We replaced the bearings a couple of years ago which cost £100 and it's still going strong.
It's a difficult decision to repair or replace, particularly if you are on a restricted budget.
I feel very fortunate to still have, what I have always called "my washing machine" fund for major appliance replacement.