Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grandchildren and the internet

(16 Posts)
TriciaF Thu 21-May-15 17:19:39

Sadly don't see enough of my grandchildren, as they all live abroad.
Just a couple of observations:
One family came to stay with us for a week last year. Children aged 9 and 11. I was worried how to entertain them, but they were fixated on their ipads or whatever half the time. Their parents had to make rules about doing something else more productive.
The other thing - I started corresponding by email with an older grand-daughter, 17 yrs, and was floored by her use of strange language and spelling - text-speak or something.
I live in the past obviously.

rubylady Wed 20-May-15 22:34:10

So are they up at 4 am jingl? grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-May-15 12:12:58

Yes all catching up with me now

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 11:14:55

Oh heck! You sound tired.

Yes [gin]

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-May-15 11:13:20

No just putting together some thoughst now so if anyone else has anything to add do feel fre [gin]

And thank you to those who have posted!

Katek Wed 20-May-15 10:58:25

I learned to play Minecraft as well!! We can then play together. I take my lead from their parents in terms of time spent on devices which, fortunately, we all tend to agree with. I have parental controls set as do their parents. All the devices they use are handheld, mainly ipad minis, which means they're in the same room as us so we can see what they're up to. DGD is very much aware of inappropriate online behaviour as her mum has had conversations with her about it, but she is the kind of child who would tell you if anything was amiss. It's just the way she is...8 going on 80. DGS, on the other hand, is football obsessed so that's pretty much all he'll look for. Small DGS (2) has not been allowed to watch tv/iPad until very recently and he gets 15 mins per day of Night Garden or Thomas.

Anyone else watched hours and hours of Stampy Longnose?!?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-May-15 10:08:40

Have you done it yet Cari?

absent Tue 19-May-15 20:52:36

Only the two eldest are allowed to use my computer and I tend to make occasional checks on what they are doing at the time and look at the sites they have visited afterwards. It is located in a separate office so not directly under my eye when they are all here. They generally use it for playing games, sometimes "educational" ones, doing homework or listening to music. There are no filters on my computer but as they are not very familiar with a Mac, they would find it difficult to conceal the sites they have visited. I don't think they are devious enough to want to at the moment – maybe it will be different when they hit mid-teens.

The younger ones may not use it on their own because of their tendency to bash the keys, especially the space bar, and put sticky fingers all over the screen. However, I do sometimes show them things that I think they might find interesting and the three-year-old is obsessed with the Irish dancing teddy bears that a fellow Gransnetter provided a link for on St Patrick's Day.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 20:23:38

It's good to watch the You Tube vids with them. (I had never heard of mountain boarding)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 20:21:17

When they stay with us there is a rule, imposed by their mum. No screens after 11am.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 20:19:37

And then of course, there's Amazon. And the "Granny, do you know you can get...." hmm grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 20:17:24

The first thing his dad did when he got his Nexus was to put the filter on.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 19-May-15 20:15:15

My 13 year old GS loves you tube for things like watching other kids mountain boarding (latest craze) Younger one (7) likes anything funny he can find.

They have both got filters on their internet devices. The 13 year old has a mobile phone but not an Internet one - that I would worry about. The younger one is very keen on games on his WII U and his Nexus 7, both of which I gave him. hmm (yes, I get "blamed" grin He does spend a lot of time on them, but it's his thing. He's not such an outdoor type as his older brother is. DD makes sure he gets exercise - he rides his scooter to school. And he has other interests, so we think it's ok.

Kids are different. Some like tech stuff, others are not bothered. But the filters are very important. I dread them asking for smart phones. I suppose it will have to come though.

janeainsworth Tue 19-May-15 19:54:59

Sorry Cari my DGCs are a bit too little for me to be of much use to you.
One DGD has her own kindle but DD and SiL have blocked YouTube for anything other than Peppa Pig and Ben and Holly.
I've been very impressed with the little number games and letter games she plays on it.

durhamjen Tue 19-May-15 19:40:41

I teach my grandson at home so use the internet with him a lot to find out information. He would love just to use you-tube, but that is banned when he is in learning mode.
In the "If you can't beat them, join them" mode, I am now trying to teach him to programme online.

Both he and his sister enjoy Minecraft, so we buy everything Minecraft to get them playing together. Today, he showed me a Minecraft video on Galileo, so we spent the next hour looking for important facts about Galileo, poor man, who was imprisoned for heresy after supporting Copernicus in his finding that the earth moved round the sun.
Because his mother and I both teach him, we have a lot of discussion about how much he uses the internet, and what he should look at.
When in my house, I always know what both he and his sister are on, because the computer is visible wherever I am. Any sign of hiding anything and it gets switched off.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-May-15 11:08:51

I've been asked to do an interview on the above and was hoping [pleading emoticon] that you'd all be able to help. Won't be using any names but be great to get a general feel on the following (asap - sorry!) so much gratitude to anyone who can add anything on any/all/as many as you like of the following...

1) What do you typically worry about when your GC are with you regarding their online activity?

2) How do you agree on rules with parents? (Especially if there are conflicting views on online activity.) Eg: what do you do if you think they’re spending too much time online – how do you broach this with parents?

3) In terms of technology, what should you do to protect your grandchildren? (Filters on your home devices, children’s mobile devices etc.)

4) What ways do you find useful to engage with your GC about their online world/ get them talking about it? (If they speak to you about the good stuff, they’re more likely to come forward if something bad happens.)

5) We know - obviously - that grandparents have a special relationship with their GC and can hold a huge positive influence over them. How can you make the most of this when it comes to their online behaviour?

A huge thank you x