Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

HANDWRITTEN CV!!!

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 16:01:03

Afternoon all,

just been leafing through the local newspaper and saw a local company advertising for a reception/ admin role and asking for a handwritten CV!

I know that some companies ask for applications to be submitted by post, rather than via email, but I was a bit surprised by this one! I contacted them to check, and yes, they really DO mean the whole thing, not just a handwritten covering letter with a typed and printed CV shock

It does make me wonder if they are planning to use a graphologist to help them make their selection? I am left handed and not only does my writing slope backwards, but when using plain paper I couldn't produce a straight line if you paid me! grin

Any thoughts?

BTW, it's not an old fashioned business, rather bang up to date "green" engineering company.

Ana Thu 28-May-15 19:43:20

A covering letter could be extremely short and not give much indication as to the writer's overall handwriting ability.

I expect the firm has its reasons, but it would be interesting to see how they'd fare if someone did try to prosecute them for discrimination...hmm

Lona Thu 28-May-15 19:39:45

Maybe they want to see if you can follow instructions (even if they don't make sense) or, think for yourself (no sense copying the printed CV).
Now I'm confused

Anne58 Thu 28-May-15 17:43:46

Glad it's not just me, Charleygirl grin

Charleygirl Thu 28-May-15 17:30:47

No point at all!

Anne58 Thu 28-May-15 17:29:39

I still think it seems a bit odd. A handwritten covering letter perhaps, but what on earth is the point in copying my CV from print to longhand?

Charleygirl Thu 28-May-15 13:45:02

Nelliemoser I agree that being too flippant may go the other way. It would be so easy to say that you are very likely to turn up for work on a Monday because you would not be lying in bed nursing a hangover having been partying with your friends all weekend. Instead you had a quiet evening in with your DH drinking a cup of cocoa. That may not go down well having said that you are unlikely to need maternity leave. Good luck.

Nelliemoser Thu 28-May-15 11:40:18

That would finish me off completely. With my dyslexia writing without making any mistakes is so slow actually I could not do it without any crossing out. I can't always write a birthday card without messing it up. Add to this the fact I have never mastered forming letters neatly I would be sunk! Does anyone believe in graphology now?

If you could not hand write because of even a slight disabilty they would have to allow you a word processor or such, they are not allowed to discriminate.

It is probably better not to be too flippant in such situations. (I have such a tendency as well.)

Anne58 Thu 28-May-15 00:24:38

Tegan as said, just finished reading "'Tis" and had left it so long between readings it was almost like reading it for the first time.

I always remember my much loved ds2 talking about "Angela's Ashes" and saying what a great book he thought it was, (a bit of an unusual opinion for a boy of around 15, perhaps he took after me in the love of books smile

I was just about to ramble on to another topic, but have noticed that in fact it was ME that started this thread on the topic of handwritten CV's !

Oh well, I have scan booked now, so will ramble on in my own sweet (I hope) way!

Goodnight all, sweet dreams, moon

R xx

Tegan Thu 28-May-15 00:04:09

I never got to finish that [at least, I don't think I did]. I know Angelas Ashes is regarded as being a bit on the sombre side but I loved the humour in it....I must dig out T'is again [if only to find out if I did actually finish it!]

Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 23:48:21

Ti's the way Tegan tis the way it is.

(just finished reading the sequel to "Angela's Ashes", so I did)

Ooh ignore the silly ramblings!

Tegan Wed 27-May-15 19:40:46

My daughter does the most beautiful calligraphy and yet her actual handwriting is virtually illegible; not really relevant to the thread but something that has always puzzled me confused.

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 19:36:12

Sounds promising to me phoenix

Good luck with your application and fingers crossed for your scan.

Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 19:33:22

Ana see! That's the sort of thing I mean, much rambling and repeating myself. And repeating myself. grin

The scan has now been booked for 18th June. Just got to remember to go.....

Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 19:30:49

Oh bother! The italics didn't work!

Re my "wit", where i mentioned up there ^^ a brief conversation with the person who phoned me back, I actually said during the conversation "I expect that you have gathered that I'm on older candidate. However, that does mean that I have some life skills, and am also extremely unlikely to get pregnant and need maternity leave" She laughed quite a bit! She went on to explain that what they are looking for is something that actually says things about the person, which I suppose means cutting out the -crap- bits about team player, but also works well alone etc (Not that my CV says that)

loopylou Wed 27-May-15 19:27:54

Electronic CVs can be bought online, written by anyone and be downright fraudulent.
Hand written is harder to falsify as takes more effort and will put off those intending to fib?
Photocopy your handwritten one phoenix so you have a copy to hand.

Ana Wed 27-May-15 19:27:34

Yes, you have mentioned that before, phoenix! grin

Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 19:23:48

Charleygirl ^ phoenix I doubt very much if everybody appreciates your wit^ That did make me grin It made me feel as if I was back at school and being somewhere between being reprimanded and advised! Love it!

Although, of course, I will take your comments on board! One of my ex-bosses said that he thought my brain was wired differently from other peoples confused blush

JessM Wed 27-May-15 19:01:30

Graphology is pretty rare (because it doesn't work)
Suspect they are fed up with CVs that have been spellchecked and titivated by applicants' friends and relatives and they want to check literacy.

Charleygirl Wed 27-May-15 18:38:55

phoenix I doubt very mnuch if everybody appreciates your wit- I would try to keep it as straight forward as possible. A pity that I do not live closer to you because I have good, legible hand writing and I doubt if they would be any the wiser, apart of course from the signature. You should sign it and immediately one would see that somebody else had written it. You will have to practice writing the CV and that is a good suggestion putting the lined paper underneath.

Anne58 Wed 27-May-15 18:24:47

anno , I suppose that might be worth a try! It was a bit odd, I phoned and the person I spoke to was NOT very helpful, in fact I wrote "not impressed!" next to the number.

I think they must have done 1471, because the phone rang almost immediately and it was someone else from the company, not quite apologising for the first person but almost!

I did have a bit of a laugh with her re mature candidates etc, and she asked for my name so that she could look out for my application.

Got to be worth ago? Hopefully they will focus on the content more than the calligraphy!

kitty shame on you, that would be cheating! (Wouldn't it?) grin

I've thought of a few phrases to include, but the problem is they might be seen as witty and self deprecating, or sarcastic and rather "up myself" confused

Ana Wed 27-May-15 17:39:45

Perhaps the boss is passionate about correct spelling - no spellcheck when you're writing by hand!

A CV with no spelling mistakes will show either that the applicant can spell, or has taken the trouble to check. I bet they won't want any text-speak either grin

Teetime Wed 27-May-15 17:20:44

How odd - that may rule out some candidates with specific disabilities e.g. arthritis or hand deformities.

Anya Wed 27-May-15 17:04:26

Handwriting is a dying art form these days. I suspect there is a cunning reason behind their thinking hmm

annodomini Wed 27-May-15 17:04:12

phoenix, have you tried slanting the paper so that your handwriting looks upright?

AshTree Wed 27-May-15 16:59:14

Unusual, but I wonder if this is the start of a new 'fad' for job apps? Someone somewhere who's done some research... Could be they use a graphologist, which is not that unusual these days.