Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Rip off Plumber

(15 Posts)
Houseseller Fri 29-May-15 10:37:20

In answer to sun seeker I didn't get a written quote and he did not itemise his bill. Also he was recommended by my regular Heating Engineer as he is not qualified to do high pressure cylinders

Houseseller Fri 29-May-15 10:32:28

Yes he is Vat registered but I don't think he should charge additional VAT on parts that already include VAT. The sad thing is when he came to view the job he thought the parts would be £75 plus £50 but he would check and order, it was the following day he came back with the new prices. I suspect he thought I was an easy touch as I am 71. He told me on the phone the new prices and said it would cost me £480 as he would need to go and fetch the parts, he said it would be a bit cheaper as he could get them delivered for £15 if I waited a few days. (Delivery in fact was £8.50).
The most annoying thing is my son is qualified to do it but wouldn't put himself out to come and do even though he is not working at the moment. So much for family.

Charleygirl Fri 29-May-15 09:44:37

Is he entitled to charge VAT or is that just an extra little earner?

Houseseller Fri 29-May-15 09:34:03

I accept Plumbers mark up parts but he told me on the phone they cost £119 and £110 plus Vat, why would he give me a price for parts if he was going to double it up. He lives 2 miles from from me and he said the labour was £60 of the bill plus Vat. He did not break down the bill just an all up figure. He had already loaded the parts by £40 on one part and £30 on the other because they were inclusive if VAT so he was charging me Vat on top of VAT.

AshTree Fri 29-May-15 09:01:10

That does seem a bit steep to me. I agree with Anya about adding a date by which you expected a response. There is nothing to stop you re-sending the letter, with a covering email drawing his attention to the original letter to which you have as yet had no response. Then give him a date by which you expect to hear from him or you will take the matter further.
Good luck houseseller - he shouldn't be allowed to get away with seemingly plucking a figure out of the air like this.

sunseeker Fri 29-May-15 08:44:57

Did he get the parts direct from the company or buy them through a shop/plumbing supplier? If the latter there would have been a mark up. The job may have only taken 45 minutes but he would have had travelling time plus overheads and expenses I'm not making excuses for him, he should have made his charges clear - did you get a written quote and an itemised invoice?

Houseseller Thu 28-May-15 23:18:04

Thanks for the advice, I did accept the price he said as I thought it was a big job with heavy labour charges, when I queried the cost of the parts as they didn't add up he said they had come in at a much higher price. I will have to to trading standards as suggested.

Anya Thu 28-May-15 19:50:30

The only thing I would have added was a date (perhaps 10 working days) by which you expected a response.

Tegan Thu 28-May-15 19:50:12

Does he advertise in any local publications? Many years pre internet I threatened someone with a bad report in our local free paper after they'd done a shoddy job on a chimney and they came back and made good what they'd done. I suppose we should all ask for a written quote before a job is done but I'm as guilty as anyone else in not doing so if it's someone that I feel I know personally blush.

Anya Thu 28-May-15 19:48:45

Good letter "house seller*

J52 Thu 28-May-15 19:32:37

Is he on a rated tradesman website? You can leave negative feedback. I agree go to Trading Standards. Good luck. x

Coolgran65 Thu 28-May-15 19:25:44

Definitely too much of a mark up. Very kind of you to give him a 'way out' with your comment that there might be an error in the calculation.
If he doesn't respond speedily I'd give him a warning that no response will mean that you will take it further i.e. Trading Standards as per pompa.

janerowena Thu 28-May-15 19:16:40

How very mean of them. Either that or their maths is rubbish.

pompa Thu 28-May-15 19:09:31

Talk to trading standards.

Houseseller Thu 28-May-15 19:04:43

Can anyone tell me if I have any comeback on the price my plumber charged me for a repair to my water cylinder. I am posting a copy of the message I have sent to the plumber which so far he has ignored. Thanks

Good Evening Vince, I would like to express my disappointment at the price you charged me for replacing the pressure vessel and combi valve today. You phoned me up on the Thursday morning to say the price of the parts were £119 for the valve and £110 for the pressure vessel plus VAT and you needed me to give you the go ahead as they were more than you thought. When you finished the job a time of 45 minutes you presented me with a bill for £420. I asked you how much of the bill was labour which you said was £60 so with VAT was £72. This left £348
For parts and VAT. The name of the company you purchased the parts from was on the label so I looked up the prices on the web site. Your original price of £119.70 for the valve was correct and was inclusive of VAT, the pressure vessel was £66.28 also inclusive of VAT. Postage and packing was £8.50. The total price should have been £196.18 for parts and £72 labour inclusive of VAT.
I know traders often mark up the price of parts but can you please tell me how can you can justify a mark up of £151.82 or perhaps there was an error in your calculations. I do think a refund of part of the bill is in order. Regards

Sent from my iPad