Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If you've had a bad day......

(54 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 03-Aug-15 20:41:14

Do you think that 3 (or possibly more, depending how things go) glasses of Cava, a Magnum Double Caramel and a sort of mock salad Nicoise (just the Romaine lettuce, tomato, a tiny bit of tuna {yes, the pathetic bit in the bottom of the bowl that your husband left as an excuse for actually declaring the bowl empty & washing it up!} angry plus a few olives, well, actually quite a lot of olives, an anchovy or two, no cooked new potatoes because they had started to look less than appetising, ditto the cooked french beans, but including the perfectly hard boiled egg, well, it was perfectly hard boiled on Friday, has been in the fridge ever since) with some sliced tomato and of course a splosh of french dressing, would be considered an acceptable supper?

Or might it contravene some EU Law with regard to the wine/ice cream/ healthy food balance?

It is not actually too late to comment on this, because as yet I haven't eaten either the salad or the Magnum, I was waiting for advice!

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 17:12:06

We've moved on from the Magnum, Venus (I did, of course eat it!) but the current debate is on another thread! grin

rosesarered Wed 05-Aug-15 17:07:24

DowntoEarth...grin

Venus Wed 05-Aug-15 17:03:21

Just eat the Magnum!

loopylou Wed 05-Aug-15 16:24:46

Ps: DDIL pronounced ^ quiche^ 'quickie' much to our amusement, bless her!
She was still learning English and it was one of a number of humorous incidents involving pronunciation and the English language grin

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:10:05

grin

loopylou Wed 05-Aug-15 16:08:14

Happy (a bit late) Birthday phoenix, enjoy your meal!

Def bad day (and not getting any better) day today, started of with awakening at 4.30 because alarm clock has a gremlin who hates sleeping any later. Get up, shower and dress because didn't notice the time, just thought it was a bit dark.
Go downstairs put on kettle, get milk out of fridge, put on miss work surface and coat kitchen floor in 3pints of semi skimmed (swear v loudly), notice clock says 5.15 as mopping up, put towels in washing machine.
Sit on settee watch news to 6.30, leave for supermarket en route to work (need petrol)
7.20 leave supermarket for office, after 3 miles little red light comes on 'petrol'....which I'd forgotten about. No station between towns so turn round and go back and join queue for pumps because half are coned off for tanker.

8.00 get to work, make coffee, eat two cinnamon whirls and hide packaging from colleagues (supposed to be on low carb)
9.00 another coffee plus two cookies
12.00 go for walk past bakery so large sausage roll begging to be scoffed
3.00 leave office, drive home, unpack shopping, drop large jar of mayonnaise on kitchen floor.....re-wash floor

Make cup of tea and find large packet of chocolate digestives in cupboard.....then
DH just came in and confessed he 'accidentally' confused finished off the whole salmon and broccoli bake that was going to be for tea - 'I couldn't help myself, it was lovely' angry I couldn't understand why he shot out of the back door and started mowing the lawn as I got home!

Not the best day- can it get any worse? I'm staying in bed tomorrow!
grin

downtoearth Wed 05-Aug-15 14:25:37

Roses not a typo we do call it quickie,but yes it was quiche ,and I do have a light fairy like touch with pastry.....problem in supermarket when discussing meals ,every one in earshot turns and looks when without thinking we say shall we have a quickie tonight/when we get homegrin

Ana marauding teenager does defo NOT need extra calories,she makes two of me.

persistantdonor and phoenix

Norfolk tractor boys are equally competent at causing mayhem...it is on the job description,paticularly if following the muck truck with piles of doo,doo on it all hot and steaming they like to go over a bump in the road and shake a lump or two on your bonnet,for that reason when following one shut your window....learned that valuble lesson when arriving as a novice in Norfolkgrin

HappyNan1 Tue 04-Aug-15 22:29:30

A bit late but hope you've had a very happy birthday Phoenix and a lovely meal. flowerswine x

rosesarered Tue 04-Aug-15 21:32:06

I also like the fairy fingers, is it the curse of the iPad again?

Ana Tue 04-Aug-15 21:31:44

Oo-er missus! grin

rosesarered Tue 04-Aug-15 21:30:22

Haha, I thought it should be cheese and onion quiche?But I do like the sound of a quickie.

Ana Tue 04-Aug-15 21:26:37

No, wouldn't dream of depriving marauding teenager, I'm sure she needs the calories more than I do - thanks anyway! grin

downtoearth Tue 04-Aug-15 21:08:22

Have one left in fridge for marauding resident teenager ...shall I sent it to you virtually grin..

Ana Tue 04-Aug-15 21:02:30

(well, 'share' it really, I mean...)

Ana Tue 04-Aug-15 20:57:49

Cheese and onion quickie - what a lovely description, downtoearth! grin

I might steal that, if you don't mind!

downtoearth Tue 04-Aug-15 20:49:07

Have celebrated on your behalf Phoenix you have had cheese and onion quickie made by my my own fairy fingers light as a wisp,Garlic and herb potato wedges..all my own work...and a tossed salad ..after a couple of glasses I couldn't give a Toss...grin....hope you enjoyed as its the thought that counts..wine

Persistentdonor Tue 04-Aug-15 20:15:31

Happy birthday Phoenix.

p.s. Be aware that the buses in South Wales are like Devon tractors, only I made contact and wrote off my pretty little blue car. 2 1/2 years ago now and still not over it!! sad

Katek Tue 04-Aug-15 18:23:05

Happy birthday Phoenix! flowers

Icyalittle Tue 04-Aug-15 17:51:53

Hope you had a great birthday phoenix You certainly deserve it for all the laughs you give me flowers

KatyK Tue 04-Aug-15 16:34:45

Thank you Winifred. I'm going to try. My sister is the same - dieting for years and has tried the 5:2 and it is working. Sorry - now back to talk of cake and wine. smile

Anne58 Tue 04-Aug-15 16:25:34

Well, hello again, and more thanks for the good wishes!

Have been shopping, and having decided on Chinese, have ended up with lasagne confused Waitrose didn't have any of the delicious lemon chicken (quite large pieces of chicken in a light batter with a lemon sauce, as opposed to sweet & sour) and it just wouldn't have been the same without that.

So, it's lasagne, salad, garlic bread. They also let me down by not having their own lemon meringue pie sad it's very good, light pastry and a good tartness to the lemon filling, plus a good ratio of filling to meringue.

Then of course I couldn't decide between tarte au citron and tiramisu, so I got both blush Well, one likes to give ones guests a choice.......

Shame they didn't have some slightly smaller ones, as I feel sure that there will be some left over.................grin Got a half pint container of cream, rather than the quarter, just in case [innocentfaceemoticon] Oh, and a couple of bottles of wine, because after all it would be very rude to presume that guests will bring a bottle.

winifred01 Tue 04-Aug-15 16:04:54

Kateyk stick with 5:2 -do not be tempted! Over last 2 years have lost more than 3 stones, having spent decades Yo - yo-ing with my weight feel I have got it beat.

sunseeker Tue 04-Aug-15 15:51:05

Happy birthday - I think any time is a good time to eat a Magnum!! (I have been known to eat 2 one after the other - that was a very bad day when only chocolate and ice cream could help!)

sarah2000h Tue 04-Aug-15 15:26:29

Happy birthday x flowers

sarah2000h Tue 04-Aug-15 15:25:36

Phoenix,
My dinner is leftovers from yesterdays dinner which was a bowl of soup. Can I join you for dinner? I'll bring a choc magnum.