Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can you have a cat re-waterproofed?

(71 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 16:50:07

I'm sure that most cats must have a degree of waterproofing, or at least be showerproof, but Oliver Sprout's appears to have either been incorrectly applied, or have worn off in some way confused

It is raining, which is not unusual in Devon, and both the boys have just come in. Digby has a dense (how apt) coat, with a beautifully silky top layer. He comes in with a sort of fine mist shimmering on his stripey fur.

Oliver Sprout, on the other hand, has a somewhat coarser coat, and comes in looking as if he has either been swimming of his own accord, or has been dunked by some psychotic passer by into at the very least a deep puddle, or more likely a pond.

He is SOAKED , fur sticking up in spikes, every inch of him absolutely saturated. The state of him bears no relation whatsoever to the amount or duration of rainfall. He steps daintily through the window and onto the small towel that is permanently on that section of the worktop directly beneath the window to absorb any water from paws, and presents himself ready for drying.

He has his own towel (a rather old one that has seen better days) and stands there while being given a good duffing up brisk rub down all over (including under the tummy and around the back legs, several pulls on the tail for good measure). He loves it. Digby does not like being wet, although in his case it is better described as "damp" or "moist" , but will not succumb to the towel, instead he performs an intricate pasa doble around ones legs in the hope of getting a "pick up cuddle". This achieves 2 things. Firstly, he gets cuddled (obviously). Secondly, there is an almost osmotic (probably the wrong word) transfer of the the delicate droplets of water from the cuddlee to the clothing of the cuddler.

I am at a complete loss as to how Oliver Sprout gets so wet. I believe that there are breeds of cat (Turkish Van?) that love water and will happily swim, but as research shows that they tend to be mainly white with the odd ginger bit, and himself is a sort of silverish tabby, I don't think that is the answer.

Does anyone else have a water absorbent sponge cat?

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 19:57:02

downtoearth how about a gentle scrub with a not too harsh lavatory brush? Or perhaps you could install a sort of self-service dog wash?

Put a fairly strong stake of wood into the ground, attach a lavatory brush and a garden hose (connected to a tap, of course). I'm sure that I don't need to point out that the crucial element here is height ??

Set the water flowing at the desired rate. This could be anything from a gentle trickle, reminiscent of raindrops falling from conifer branches, to the full flowing torrent of a Nordic Fjord at the peak of the spring meltings.

POGS Wed 05-Aug-15 19:57:21

Roses, no, I was talking about the dog not the cat grin

I don't live in Devon, not guilty m'lord.

downtoearth Wed 05-Aug-15 19:58:03

might try that on myself ...does it cure--- heomorrhoids---piles pogsgrin

POGS Wed 05-Aug-15 20:03:59

Phoenix

I love that idea. I have actually conjured up that image in my mind now. smile

Does the dog walk around in circles or would you prescribe one of those hose pipe connection that wobble about all over the place that kids have for fun?

downtoearth Wed 05-Aug-15 20:04:32

phoenix....going to rig that up tomorrow..grin
she does also favour the astro turf we have in one section of the garden for a good scratch....wonder if a pan scourer would have same effect...but not the non scratch sort..would defeat the object hmm

downtoearth Wed 05-Aug-15 20:05:57

can you get a bidet for dogs....would also be handy for washing pussygrin

POGS Wed 05-Aug-15 20:08:25

down to earth

Oh yes, definately, problem is it knocks yer teeth out at the same time but at least the pain changes places. grin.

Mind you there is always the chance you re swallow your piles and end up still having to have them removed. grin

POGS Wed 05-Aug-15 20:14:00

OMG

I'm worried where the bidet jokes might takes us now. blush

Have you got a bidet Phoenix? Is it possible that's where Oliver Sprout took a dive.

downtoearth Wed 05-Aug-15 20:15:25

pogs grin grin

Marelli Wed 05-Aug-15 20:27:16

At the risk of doing a Mrs Slocombe, my pussy has come in all itchy shockblush! I think she's been running through the nettles over the wall in the field. No fleas present as far as I see, but lots of attention being paid to her paws and her body. She's asleep now, so I think it must have been nettle-stings.

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 20:35:43

No, POGS no bidet I'm afraid, so the mystery still remains!

Marelli poor little girl!

rosesarered Wed 05-Aug-15 20:45:24

Aww, drat, thought we had found the culprit Who had drenched Phoenix's
cat, POGS grin

loopylou Wed 05-Aug-15 20:53:48

grin grin grin
That's another cup of coffee spluttered all over the mini iPad and my teeshirt hmm

You lot are priceless!

Katek Wed 05-Aug-15 21:24:23

Apparently even if you just have the collar and cuffs Barbour will remake/reproof your jacket. Wonder if they have cat department??

janerowena Wed 05-Aug-15 21:55:35

I was about to suggest a rub-down with baby oil, then realised that all sorts of smutty jokes could arise from people with slippery cats - so I won't.

Anne58 Wed 05-Aug-15 22:05:22

Is baby oil made from freshly squeezed babies?

vampirequeen Wed 05-Aug-15 22:06:28

My cat, Spikey, used to go somewhere where there was rotting fish and he would come home smelling terrible so he had to be bathed. Here's the instructions.

Prepare the sink etc in secret. Have a second bowl of clean water ready for rinsing. Cats do not like the tap being run on them. Do not warn the cat as he will disappear until you give up and find something else to do.

Pick the cat up as if to give him a cuddle then swiftly move to the sink and plonk him in the water, holding him down as one does when trying to strap a struggling toddler into a buggy. Once wet quickly wash all over with no more tears baby shampoo....or proper cat shampoo. Pull the plug and let the water drain. Keep hold of the cat who will now think he's about to go down the plug hole. Rinse with the clean water from the bowl. Wrap cat in a towel. It is at this point the cat will try to get his revenge so keep his legs well wrapped up. Rub down briskly and let cat escape. Now point and laugh at the angry cat as he looks like a drowned rat. This is guaranteed to make him sulk, sit in a corner and groom himself dry.

Whatever you do don't try to help him with a hairdryer. This is guaranteed to make him run up the curtains and try to sit on the curtain pole whilst snarling at anyone in sight.

annodomini Wed 05-Aug-15 22:14:28

Is there really such a thing as cat shampoo? grin

Katek Wed 05-Aug-15 22:23:57

Oh yes.....and conditioner!

vampirequeen Wed 05-Aug-15 22:36:31

You can get them in different scents so your cat can smell of lavender or citrus if you want it to lol

NfkDumpling Thu 06-Aug-15 14:45:57

I'm quite glad we no longer have a cat - if bathing is required. I've only had two cats and I'm ashamed to say our Frederick (large black effort), only ever got rain wet - and he was of the double coated, rain drops misting gently on the long hairs, waterproof sort. I'd never have had the courage to bath him, even if I'd have thought of it. It took all our courage, a stiff drink and at least two people to administer the Worm Tablet - until that is our lovely vet showed us the pour cat down a trouser leg method!

Fred did get half wet once when he was but a kitten. He chased a butterfly which fluttered over the pond, and so did he. Briefly. Before he fell into the water. He came out at an amazing speed , such a speed that he was only wet below the plimsol line - very thin and wet - while above his black fur was very fluffed up. He pretended of course that he'd meant to do it!

Our other little tabby cat, Tabitha, Fred's sister, never went out in the rain, and died young so I don't know about her.

Katek Thu 06-Aug-15 17:11:26

Lol nfkdumpling!

Mine have never been immersed! Occasional rear end wash when Gus has his humiliating stress accidents in the cat carrier, but other than that they're as nature intended. I wouldn't dare bathe him.....almost 15 lbs of extremely solid angry cat. Welders' gloves needed. We give ours the flea/worm treatment on the back of the neck, so much easier even if more costly.

Katek Thu 06-Aug-15 17:14:30

The large one!

shysal Thu 06-Aug-15 17:24:14

Vampire, grin
They even know when you are approaching with the intention of applying the spot-on treatments! I warm the pipettes in my bra so that they can't feel the drops, but a tickle on the back of the neck often sends them running for cover. In the olden days when flea treatment was in a spray can, the sound of a lid being removed from any aerosol would send them into a panic!

NfkDumpling Thu 06-Aug-15 17:26:53

He looks gorgeous Katek - but I wouldn't mess with him!!

I do miss having a cat (or two) around the place, and a dog. We've decided to stay pet free for a few years while we get the travel bug out of our systems. We get regular dog fixes as the DC regularly park theirs with us (two staying at the moment) which satisfies us.

(The house certainly does stay a LOT cleaner)