Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

inspiration required

(10 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sun 30-Aug-15 18:34:44

can any GNer please help. My 2yr 0ld grandson took a tumble down garden steps. No harm done thankfully. the 3 steps are wide and not steep but bottom step is half moon shape. My plan was to put rubber matting down at the bottom of the steps on the patio . I would need to cut around bottom step. I have looked on the net but am struggling to find what I need, has any one had similar problem and come up with a solution?

Iam64 Sun 30-Aug-15 19:29:13

Cherrytree59 - I'm not criticising your desire to keep your precious 2 year old safe but is it necessary to put rubber matting down? He's only 2 and I'd expect someone would usually be keeping a close eye on him. He'll very soon be old enough to be a bit more cautious. I may be minimising, I do hope not.

joannapiano Sun 30-Aug-15 19:49:29

Our garden has a steep slope downwards, and we have a lot of steps going down both sides of it. All our DGC have quickly learned to go up and down like mountain goats, just through constantly doing it to get to the lawn.Our nearly 3 year old jumps down the steps.
Our 8th DGC, is 15months, and is very closely supervised when outside, at the moment. All the others were OK to go out there by themselves by about 2 and a half. Keep an eye on him,Cherrytree, but have faith in his abilities and growing confidence and independence !

BlackeyedSusan Sun 30-Aug-15 20:24:46

It will not be long before he is ok on the steps. Using a mat is as likely to trip him up going up as to prevent bumps going down.

SloeGinny Sun 30-Aug-15 23:58:58

Cherry tree, I covered a similar area with some very cheap 'play mat'. It was a bag of brightly coloured foam pieces that fitted together like a jigsaw to form quite a big mat. It's not very thick, so quite easy to cut.

If you want something more heavy duty, look for a stable mat or cow mattress, either in rubber or EVA. They are heavy, so don't move, and are easily cut with a Stanley knife.

Conni7 Mon 31-Aug-15 11:19:11

I thought this was about house! Having just had grandchildren (3 & 5) staying for three weeks, I moved a lot of things and next time it will be even more!

Anya Mon 31-Aug-15 11:42:38

Cherrytree my DD's house is build on a slope and there is a horrendous set of steep steps (with no handrail) leading from the patio to the garden. Each grandson fell down them once only - since then they have learned to negotiate them without mishap.

Lots of us are saying the same thing. Let him learn to use these steps safely and it will be a life skill worth having.

ajanela Mon 31-Aug-15 14:28:31

So what happens when the next one falls and has a head injury?

Also as an older person I would like a hand rail to navigate those steps.

tiggypiro Mon 31-Aug-15 14:56:40

I agree totally with the 'let them learn' viewpoints. I have had DGS's for 10 weeks in the summer and have no stair gates. The youngest had his 2nd birthday while he was here and was taught to go up and down stairs on his front (they have no stairs at home). Only once did he misjudge it and slid down about 5 steps on his tummy (feet first) which made him more cautious. By the time he went home last week he was walking up and down like everyone else but holding onto the banister coming down.
Compare with his 4yr old cousin who starts school next week. Stair gates top and bottom and always carefully supervised he still needs his hand held and has no confidence.
As for putting things out of the way, with the exception of medication etc, I have never needed to. When my 2 were tiddlers our house was like a building site and everything was labelled as Daddy's or Mummy's 'specials' and they knew not to touch. It meant we could take them anywhere and they did not touch anything we called 'special'. DGC's follow the same rules and we have no problem.
I don't think for a moment that I have just been 'lucky' but rather have DGC's who are confident in their own abilities and have a respect for the belongings of others.

Anya Mon 31-Aug-15 14:59:32

You can never protect from all risk. We removed both handrails on our inside stairs when we had a chair lift fitted (long story). When the lift was removed we made a tactical decision not to put them back. So we had to use our leg muscles more and now we don't notice the lack. Yet.