Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to do on a wet bank holiday

(17 Posts)
GrannyMilly Mon 31-Aug-15 08:43:40

Ok so you have the grandchildren so M&D can have a romantic weekend away. But it's raining. I have been saving a load of toilet roll tries so we are gun to make a variety of things from them from finger puppets to daffodils. Have any suggestions to occupy grandchildren 3 & 5.wink

soontobe Mon 31-Aug-15 09:19:55

Mumsnet normally have a range of ideas

Notso Mon 31-Aug-15 09:23:05

Thread pasta tubes on knitting wool with a darning needle.

Bake jam tarts/cheese straws

Polish Granny's skirting boards with a duster looking for pixie doors.

CBBC

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Aug-15 09:25:51

Notso Are you engaging unpaid child labour? shock grin

aggie Mon 31-Aug-15 09:27:04

I love the idea of pixie doors , but my Very Smart Grandsons said that was for wee ones sad

Notso Mon 31-Aug-15 09:28:11

Only if I can get away with it Nellie smile

BlackeyedSusan Mon 31-Aug-15 09:38:43

indoor picnic.

dens. (old curtains/blankets and cushions)

puddle jumping.

cbeebies (cbbc is too old for them yet)

going on a bear hunt... up the stair mountain

hunt the chocolate coin thimble

Notso Mon 31-Aug-15 09:43:57

Thanks Susan, I'm a bit adrift with the TV channel!

Train rides with a row of chairs facing in the same direction. Make & 'sell' tickets, take turns to be the driver in the front seat. Lots of train noises.

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Aug-15 09:49:52

Notso That sounds ideal. My DGS likes that and he asks for pretend flags to wave. It's quie enjoyable playing pretend games.

shysal Mon 31-Aug-15 10:06:33

Playing shops goes down quite well, especially if you give them real money.
I also find just counting the coins in my loose change jar kept them occupied for ages, with the promise of taking home their share!

Elrel Mon 31-Aug-15 10:21:30

Toilet/kitchen roll tubes can make great castles with tissue paper wrapped around and glued then painted.
Indoor skittles or bucket ball (soft ball like juggling ball or tennis ball).
Paper hats or masks, make, decorate,me ear.
Tell stories with puppets, use soft toys if you don't have puppets.
Decorate plain biscuits with tubes of icing and sprinkles
Sure you'll all have fun whatever you choose to do!

Elrel Mon 31-Aug-15 10:26:04

Oops - 'me ear' should be 'wear'!
A couple of large cardboard boxes for pretend games
Put toppings on individual pizzas

NotTooOld Mon 31-Aug-15 16:17:38

Half of mine (grandkids, that is) have gone past that stage where they need amusing and spend their time glued to small screens. To get them away from the small screens I took them to the cinema - but I did get the irony of that!

Coolgran65 Mon 31-Aug-15 16:32:57

Making an obstacle course through the dining room and lounge using.....chairs, nest of coffee tables, sofa, armchairs, dining chairs, underneath dining table, cushions and old sheets/towels. Pull sofa and chairs out slightly from walls.

Notso Mon 31-Aug-15 16:56:42

Loads of balls of wool and get them to make a spiders web in eg the lounge. Best to move precious stuff. Start off with one end tied to a chair leg, cross to the door handle, back over to a radiator valve....you get the drift. The idea is to 'fill' the room with their web.

GrandmaH Fri 04-Sep-15 12:29:44

Get hold of or download book called 'Don't Eat Your Slime by Marc Wileman ( I think)
Easy scientific experiments that you can do with things out of store cupboard.
Saw him on Dragon's Den Sunday before last (it will be on catch up) & he was amazing. My 3 eldest GC ( aged 7,9 & 11) spent a really fun day making things -slime & volcanos etc. They loved it, it cost practically nothing & they were learning too.
Eldest GS had seen him before as he went to their school & apparently he is really cool!
I've ordered the 2nd book for half term.
To be honest I enjoyed it too. Amazing what you can do with water, veg oil & washing up liquid!

janerowena Fri 04-Sep-15 13:08:03

I put bedspreads over the table so that they can make a camp underneath. They take cushions and a picnic in there, and have a small safe bedside light. I have an old wooden clothes horse, that is turned on its side and become the entrance to the 'igloo'.