Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do your grandchildren....... ...

(19 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 23-Jan-16 15:48:08

Wear vests ?
I think I stopped putting vests on mine when they became school age. DGSx2 haven't worn vests since they were about 18mths.
Just curious smile

Alima Sat 23-Jan-16 15:52:56

The 3 and the 4 year old just wear vests in the winter. The 10 month old wears one all the time. No doubt they will tell us when they no longer want them! At least the girls have not had to wear a liberty bodice!

tanith Sat 23-Jan-16 15:53:54

My youngest granddaughter has always worn a vest she's now 11 and wears those short vest/bra tops under her school uniform.. the other stopped wearing vests when they got to their teenage years but yes they mostly wore vests or t-shirts under their clothes in Winter only.

janeainsworth Sat 23-Jan-16 16:53:05

They do when Grandma's around grin
One of my DGDs was always getting coughs and colds. Her little hands always felt cold, even indoors.
I told DD that the child needed a vest, and went out and bought some.
Interfering? Moi? grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-Jan-16 16:58:39

The 11 year old does. The 14 year old wouldn't dream of letting anyone see him in his undies. But I think he probably does.

Badenkate Sat 23-Jan-16 16:59:13

My children never wore vests. When my elder son, a winter baby, was a couple of months old he developed a rather frightening rash. So, of course, like any new mother I rushed up to our local doctor who pealed off his layers of clothes and told me, rather gently I thought, that he had a heat rash ?. After that, I felt that if I wasn't cold then they probably weren't either. They both rarely were ill, never got colds, and are now strapping 6ft+. And yes, Alima, I remember those horrible liberty bodices as well!

Greyduster Sat 23-Jan-16 17:33:15

My GS - 9- did, in the winter when he was younger. He doesn't now, he'd run a mile! He will happily wear a long sleeved base layer under a school polo shirt, his football kit or a teeshirt in the winter though! Base layers are, apparently, "cool". Vests, it seems, are definitely not!

Greyduster Sat 23-Jan-16 17:33:50

Even if grandad wears one!grin

kittylester Sat 23-Jan-16 17:52:22

Is it worrying you nina? Do they seem cold, do they ill?

Sadiesnan Sat 23-Jan-16 17:54:43

I remember being teased terribly at secondary school because my mum still insisted I wear a vest.

NanaandGrampy Sat 23-Jan-16 17:55:51

I buy them for my DGD as she often complains things are itchy but neither DDs bought them for the grandchildren. They all wore the little onsie vests until out of nappies though .

Jalima Sat 23-Jan-16 18:06:55

Yes, they wear vests in the winter; I wonder if DGD will start rebelling soon, she is nearly 8.
They are only cotton vests though; remember those fine woollen vests with envelope necks for babies - were they by Cherub? DS came out in a rash on the back of his neck, I thought it was the wool but in fact it was the label so I had to carefully unpick all the labels from his vests.

joannapiano Sat 23-Jan-16 18:12:05

All my younger DGC, aged 20 months to 12 , wear vests. The 2 teenage girls prefer to look cool, and shiver.
I wore a liberty bodice as well as a vest, when I was little.

ninathenana Sat 23-Jan-16 20:56:17

No kitty it doesn't bother me or them they never seem cold. It was really just a random though smile

rubysong Sun 24-Jan-16 19:18:52

No, mine never have. I put it down to having an American mother. I would have liked them to wear vests and be nice and cosy but I thought it best not to interfere.

hildajenniJ Sun 24-Jan-16 19:53:28

No, none of them ever have. I think vests are regarded as old fashioned these days. The two boys with x-linked ichthyosis had to wear a garment called a slinky (I think) when their ointment was applied. It is an all over body suit to stop the ointment rubbing off on their clothes. They hated wearing them.?

MamaCaz Sun 24-Jan-16 19:53:58

Mine, 4 and 3, don't wear vests any more. I looked for some last week when it was quite chilly and I was responsible for getting them dressed and off to school (on foot, not by car), but couldn't find any.

Jomarie Sun 24-Jan-16 23:21:21

Yes.

Synonymous Mon 25-Jan-16 00:10:31

No, the GC don't nowadays or DS but DH has just bought some thermal ones and is very pleased with them. Perhaps it is an age thing! grin