Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What plant for my dining room?

(43 Posts)
kittylester Sun 24-Jan-16 09:07:58

Since we took the Christmas decorations down our dining room isn't quite right! I've moved stuff round a bit and persuaded dh that we need a new light over the table but it is still missing something which I think might be a plant on the table.

The room is quite big with a high ceiling, windows on two sides, facing north and east, with a little overhead light as well. We pass through it on our way to the lounge and the stairs and it is not particularly warm.

Has anyone any good ideas for an easy to look after plant, please?

J52 Wed 27-Jan-16 08:37:23

Such a beautiful Clivia. I searched for this plant in Garden Centres for years and eventually got two at a summer fairs year or so ago.

They are quite big and have healthy leaves, but neither have flowered yet. I suspect they are not mature enough yet. I was hoping they would flower this year.

x

kittylester Wed 27-Jan-16 08:09:23

That's lovely, Nellie! I really love my outdoor kaffir lilies! flowers @):- 6??

Auntieflo Wed 27-Jan-16 08:09:05

This is a picture of my Clivia. Amazingly I have had it for several years, and as Nelliemoser says it is not 'needy'. Mine flowers in April and has had a couple of babies, now adopted.

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Jan-16 08:01:30

Clivia Miniata
www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=655

I have had one for years. They have dark strappy leaves and are ideal for a dark corner. They don't like bright sun or being too wet. They also have a lovely flower once a year when they are established.

They eventually send up other shoots so every few you years you need to tip them out separate them and repot with new compost. They do flower best when the roots start to get crowded.

rubylady Wed 27-Jan-16 07:13:17

Or maybe an artificial one? Then you can change it with the seasons. I am hopeless with indoor plants so have resorted to artificial displays (there are some lovely ones online) and having fresh flowers delivered on special occassions this year. I have some beautiful artificial poppies on my windowsil here and some sweet peas to put into a display. I am going to get lots of them for when I no longer have a garden. smile

merlotgran Tue 26-Jan-16 14:30:38

I think I'll pay a visit to our local Garden Centre at the weekend. I haven't bothered with potted plants for years because of the lack of windowsill space and most of the light in our cottage style bungalow came from north facing windows. I now have three large south facing windows so light floods in.

Coolgran65 Tue 26-Jan-16 14:22:08

I have a plant the same as Jings pic.
They are very elegant and last for ages...years...

merlotgran Tue 26-Jan-16 14:16:29

I fancy trying a fern as I've not had any success with them before. I'm not the only one delighted with with the deep windowsills. The cat has already re-arranged a few photos and a jug so she can bask in the sunshine (when we get it)

gobsor Tue 26-Jan-16 14:00:39

Hi, everyone! First post!!!
Merlotgran, ferns and spider plants always do well in steamy shower rooms.

merlotgran Tue 26-Jan-16 13:42:06

We have a lovely deep windowsill in our new shower room so any suggestions for a suitable plant?

I already have a Peace lily.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-Jan-16 13:29:45

I got one of these for my dining room, to make up for lack of decorations. Prettier colour than boring old white.

kittylester Tue 26-Jan-16 12:26:34

We have next to no light in the hall!

starbird Tue 26-Jan-16 11:36:37

I would put a spider plant/orcid whatever, on the chest of drawers in the hall and have the fresh flowers on the table - a £1 bunch of daffs in a tall thin vase cheer up a room even if there is clutter lying all around it.

grandMattie Mon 25-Jan-16 17:42:58

Ditch it and start again! Unless you are very attached to the plant grin

tiggypiro Mon 25-Jan-16 16:59:52

Is 3 years long enough grandMattie ?

Angela1961 Mon 25-Jan-16 13:32:31

Lots of lovely suggestions but just to add - if you have a cat that might be tempted to munch - lillies are very poisonous for kitties so Google anything you might buy.

grandMattie Mon 25-Jan-16 12:45:34

Patience? grin

tiggypiro Mon 25-Jan-16 12:43:28

I have 3 peace lilies but have difficulty in getting them to flower. 2 of them are in a north facing window and the 3rd on the floor in the bathroom. How do those of you who have success with them get them to flower ?

As for the OP - what about bulbs in pots ? They can be put in the garden when finished.

grandMattie Mon 25-Jan-16 12:37:32

I love pot plants and have lots of various Begonia rex type. Otherwise, i treat houseplants as I would cut flowers - generally they have been so dwarfed, hormoned, light-treated etc., that it is impossible to keep them as you bought them. So I dispose of them after two or three months, when they stop giving me pleasure. grin
be warned though, some plants love their site and turn into triffids! Throw them away, give them to a fete/neighbour...
good luck and just go for what you like.

annifrance Mon 25-Jan-16 12:32:38

Cut flowers are great - used to buy them every Friday at a stall at the local station or mall. Cyclamen and Hyacinths always good. Swiss Cheese plants also grow big and seem to be resilient.

kittylester Mon 25-Jan-16 07:18:15

I always have fresh flowers on a chest of drawers in the hall which I buy from the florist in the village and I'm not sure I could justify the cost of two bunches! shock

The dining table is a bit of a problem to me anyway. It's quite big (seats 8) so needs something biggish or a few things but, because it's 'on the way' to the kitchen, hall, up/down stairs etc, it can accumulate lots of 'stuff' and often looks messy!

Marmight Mon 25-Jan-16 06:25:58

I have a variety of different coloured orchids ( cheapy ones from Asda) which are the only plants I don't seem to kill and they seem happy anywhere. (They have gone on their holidays for 6 weeks while I am away wink)

absent Mon 25-Jan-16 05:20:48

What about a little cluster of little plants – or just stick to vase(s) of flowers?

LuckyDucky Mon 25-Jan-16 03:53:01

My mother kept a -graceful- maidenhair fern on her dining table of
which she was justifiably proud. It looked prospered in diffused light.

She wouldn't risk her table in direct sunlight. Her fern was the only splash of green in the room smile

shysal Sun 24-Jan-16 17:39:32

I was interested to see the Trust me programme too. I already have a couple of the suggested plants, but may add more. I do not use a lot of cleaning products as I rarely do housework blush