Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Collectable ideas

(17 Posts)
Jean9 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:43:29

My new grandson was born in January and I would like to start some sort of 'collection' and am looking for ideas. I would like to buy something for each birthday, Christmas etc that is suitable for a boy and that perhaps would be an investment. Had by grandchild been a girl I had thought of gold or silver charms for a bracelet but this is obviously not suitable for a boy. China figurines have been suggested but which sort. Another suggestions was stamps or coins but I am not keen on collecting these. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks
Jean

grannylyn65 Mon 01-Feb-16 16:52:35

My DS godmother started a 'vintage wine' collection which has been much appreciated!

ninathenana Mon 01-Feb-16 17:17:24

Excellent idea grannylyn

Matchbox vehicles are going up in value all the time. Especially if they are boxed and the boxes are in good condition.

NanaandGrampy Mon 01-Feb-16 17:23:26

What about gold or silver coins?

www.royalmintbullion.com/Products/Britannia/Silver

They aren't as expensive as you might think. They can hold their value and have value even if sold later just for the precious metal .

Greyduster Mon 01-Feb-16 17:33:22

Why not buy a sovereign or half sovereign every birthday? Their high gold content should mean they have some investment value. Krugerrands are better but you would have to dig deeper into your pocket! I would stay away from stamps. You have to really know what you're doing to collect them as an investment.

Jean9 Mon 01-Feb-16 20:45:40

Thanks all, especially like the idea of matchbox vehicles.

Greyduster Tue 02-Feb-16 10:58:52

There's a guide on eBay called Your Guide to Vintage Matchbox Vehicles, which gives a bit of advice on collecting them. I noticed there's a toy auction at our local auction house which has a couple of good specimens the estimate for which is thirty to fifty pounds. I'll watch what they go for on Saturday - they always put the hammer prices online afterwards.

OlderNoWiser Tue 02-Feb-16 11:03:13

I would go with the gold coins myself. My father acquired several, starting a collection in the 1970s, which I have inherited. Not only are they very interesting from a historical point of view, they have also substantially increased in value and have turned into a wonderful hobby as well as a lucrative investment for me.

JackyB Tue 02-Feb-16 11:57:48

I wouldn't collect anything for him. The present generation of parents is already on the way to an uncluttered lifestyle and, in view of the amount of clutter we, the next generation above them, have accumulated, quite right, too.

You don't know what he will be interested in later in life, or if he will appreciate it.

However, if you only put a certain amount of money aside every month or so, it's hard to find a scheme which will bring any dividends and it's also not easy to find a system which will allow you to save/invest in your GS's name. (At least, here in Germany that is the situation)

I am seriously considering stuffing a 20 Euro note into a piggy bank every month until the economic situation improves, then investing it in the GS/GD's names at a later date.

Greyduster Tue 02-Feb-16 12:17:54

I'm with Older. Gold coins are highly tradeable and if they are British, they are exempt from CGT. And they don't take up a lot of space!
Some years ago, I started collecting hallmarked silver vesta and calling card cases. I have some nice examples, but now I have completely run out of space to display them. I will probably send them to auction eventually, as I doubt the children will be the least bit interested in them.
We put a sum away each month for our GS in a building society account; by the time he is eighteen, hopefully it should be a tidy sum.

annodomini Tue 02-Feb-16 12:29:19

Far better to start a fund for his future education, assuming that he may well want to go to University. A far better investment than 'things'.

M0nica Tue 02-Feb-16 22:33:24

Jean9, you are collecting for yourself and not for your grandson. Your grandson may have no interest in any kind of collection and when he gets it may well turn it into cash or give it away or leave it lying around to get damaged and worthless, which is disappointing to say the least.

I have not collected for my DGC but I passed on a really lovely 22 carat gold cross and chain that has been passed down several generations in my family. When I was small I wore it and when I grew out of it, it went into a box to be carefully kept for when I had children. I did the same with my daughter. I gave it to DS for DGD. I even bought DGD a little jewellry box to keep it in. Where is it now? I haven't a clue, possibly in the dressing up box where the jewellry box lives, or lost, or stolen or strayed. It certainly isn't tucked away safely in a box ready for the next generation. What to me was a treasured heirloom is of no value to them.

If you collect anything for him, collect money. It will always be appreciated and is more likely to be remembered.

M0nica Tue 02-Feb-16 22:34:51

Sorry, the above sounds a bit bitter, it isn't meant to be. It is just a statement of the facts of what happened.

Nelliemoser Tue 02-Feb-16 23:24:33

China figurines for a baby? No way! What could the child get out of matchbox toys that he cannot play with in case he spoils the precious boxes.
I agree with those who say dont waste mony on collecting anything on someone elses behalf withoiut knowing what they might like.

Apart from this you hear on all the Flog it type of programs that the sort of collectaible items that were "selling well" a few years ago will be out of fashion a few years on.

Gold coins which might increase in value maybe. Or investments which might just rise in value.

ladycatlover Wed 03-Feb-16 08:30:02

How about books? A nice age appropriate hardback for each birthday. We did this with friends' children, they are now reading them to their own children! smile We are trying to do this with our own grandkids, though it can be a bit difficult to find something they will like! wink For a newborn I really recommend the Baby See books, eg Baby Sees Spots and Dots. Very simple patterns in a tough board book, designed to be suitable for very small babies.

Perhaps I should admit that I've always been a bookaholic, and also ran a school bookshop in my daughters' infant school for a number of years!

Squaredancer Wed 10-Feb-16 20:55:15

I wouldn't bother with a "collection" as tastes change and may not hold their value. Gold coins may be a better bet. Ours just have some money and a little present each birthday as they already have far too many toys. Our birth gift to them was a Stieff Teddy and hopefully they may increase in value in years to come. They have them in their bedrooms and have been taught to treat them carefully, not throw around. One is a wind up musical one and the other is a growler.

shysal Thu 11-Feb-16 07:43:55

For a while DGS2 collected rocks, fossils and minerals, which I bought for him. He still displays them in his room but no longer collects them.