Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Bunk Beds for the grandsons

(17 Posts)
belvisifurniture Wed 10-Feb-16 11:10:16

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NanKate Tue 02-Feb-16 20:11:08

Thanks everyone for your replies, really helpful. flowers

annsixty Tue 02-Feb-16 19:38:51

We have the relyon beds. I think JL may sell them but we got ours from Arighis in Macclesfield. They are v comfortable and are full size .we don't put them together when we need both but use them as twin beds I think they were about £500 but well worth it.

phoenix Tue 02-Feb-16 18:50:09

Oh heavens, this reminds me of my saga with the Argos sofa bed,yonks ago!

However, I agree with other posters re those beds where one pulls out from under the other, much more practical and also suitable for adult guests.

Luckygirl Tue 02-Feb-16 18:33:39

geeljay - sorry to hear about your loss.

I am looking for a trundle bed for our office, which is about to revert to a bedroom. Can anyone recommend one? - preferably one that does not need assembling and that includes the mattresses.

grannylyn65 Tue 02-Feb-16 18:28:31

Impressed, ruby !!

rubysong Tue 02-Feb-16 18:24:09

Long ago we got second hand bunk beds for our two DSs. They had to fit in an alcove so DH had the metal 'spring' part cut and rewelded to make them about 6" shorter. I attacked the foam mattresses with the bread knife and then made fresh covers from thick cotton. They lasted until we moved, when the boys were 9 and 6 and the mattresses were used for visitors for many years after. We still have them in fact, under our bed, in case they are needed again.

Anya Tue 02-Feb-16 11:52:08

geelijay sorry to hear of your loss (((hugs))) - it will be the first anniversary this month and that's always a hard one. Do keep posting.

Anya Tue 02-Feb-16 11:49:34

I've just ordered a replacement metal bunk bed from IKEA for £95. I went to see it first and it's quite solid. Re GC staying over, I only change the sheets once every 8 weeks or so as, if they stay one night a week, that's only 8 sleeps.

'Officially' it's not recommended that children under 6 use a top bunk, but it very much depends on the child. Of course you need to make sure the mattresses are not too deep or they might nullify the function of the guard rails. And I had a rule that no-one was ever allowed to play or climb onto the top bunk, except for sleeping.

Most accidents I think are due to kamikaze antics as mentioned in some posts already hmm which is why I always have a monitor turned on when they are playing in the bedroom, so I can hear what they're up to.

J52 Tue 02-Feb-16 11:49:12

We have the trundle bed option. I would worry about the safety of bunk bed, with little ones.

The only difficulty could be if the room is not wide enough. Ours are 3ft wide, so make 6ft when pulled out.

How about 2 single futons that look like 2 chairs when not beds?

X

geeljay Tue 02-Feb-16 11:19:06

A good temporary alternative. Accommodating 2 grandsons (10 + 12) who were delighted to be given sleeping bags and saw it as a brilliant adventure. We had long since disposed of our bunkbeds. But if the granpop half is a handyman, bunkbeds are an easy construction and a much cheaper option. Just buy a couple of matresses. I also see on 'Freegle' or the like, used bunkbeds on offer for a song, or free! I dont contribute much, now since the loss of the other half of Geeljay (died suddenly last February). Hope you don't mind the occasional input of a granpop, but my Gillie was a frequent user on Gransnet, I pop in now and again to pass the time. I suppose it depends how often you will have the pleasure of dgs' staying over. Regards to you all

grannyqueenie Tue 02-Feb-16 11:09:42

I well remember the contortions of changing the bedlinen on bunk beds, and I was more supple in those days....wouldn't chose to do it now. I also remember the boisterous games that mine loved...grin...leaping around on the top bunk...not sure my BP would survive that with the grandchildren. If you have space, I'd say go for the trundle option

Lillie Tue 02-Feb-16 10:58:58

Bunk beds are great fun, but tucking the sheets round both mattresses is a nightmare. You end up banging your head on the lower bunk, and then having to lift up the entire mattress on the top one. I even tried climbing on the top bunk once to fit the sheet. It depends how agile you are!

NanaandGrampy Tue 02-Feb-16 10:54:13

IKEA do a nice day bed that has a put away bed underneath. Not cheap but it is a full size single in both cases so suitable for grown up visitors too ,

Synonymous Tue 02-Feb-16 10:48:54

Agree with Alea trundle bed under another, or perhaps zip and link beds if you have room, are better. Friend has had to remove footprints from the ceiling after certain visits! shock

Alea Tue 02-Feb-16 10:42:16

Would a "trundle" bed work in your spare room? It has the advantage of being less obtrusive the rest of the time and more suitable if you have 2 guests of more mature years.
Ours (2'6") came from John Lewis (where else!!) but when I looked around for bunks they seemed disproportionately expensive. Plus I wasn't too sure about the ceiling underneath if /when they practised skydiving off the top bunk grin

NanKate Tue 02-Feb-16 09:12:26

We have two GSs almost 3 and 5 and the time is coming when we need to get bunk beds for them at our house.

The room they will go in is not big so we need a smallish bunk beds 'lengthwise'.

Can anyone recommend what they use and give us an idea of the price we need to pay. Having looked on line there is a great variation in price.