Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

A special bond

(21 Posts)
hulahoop Fri 12-Feb-16 11:27:33

My other half is looking ke the pied pier once we were having a get together
My hubby was walking from back to front garden and in row behind him were
Grandson , two granddaughters and tagging all ng at back sons springer spaniel daughter and myself was in hysterics he loves it ?

GrandmaH Fri 12-Feb-16 11:16:53

Grandma cooks with them & Grandy does science experiments with them- children's ones! We both love it.

Jalima Thu 11-Feb-16 23:37:38

annsixty you're right though, even allowing the thought of having a favourite to surface would make me feel guilty!

As Brucie says to everyone 'You're my favourite' grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 22:23:46

Not my intention at all annsixty

I am a stickler for them all being my favourite. smile

Actually I meant it from the other side - perhaps it should have read do you have a grandchild that identifies with a particular grandparent?

annsixty Thu 11-Feb-16 21:11:42

This really is,"do you have a favourite GC " in another guise. And yes many of us do for various reasons, I do, but we keep it to ourselves if we are wise. Sorry if I have been rather contentious.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Feb-16 20:07:32

All three DGS are still too young for us to tell from their side - 1 and 2 will happily play one of us off against the other grin But I could never have imagined the bond I had instantly with each one of them in turn. Eva Cassidy sang a song entitled "I know you by heart". That sums it up.

Jayh Thu 11-Feb-16 19:54:12

"I've got a problem. I'll ask my Grampa"
That's what my little DGD says. Grampa loves the hero worship.

Judthepud2 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:28:21

I have said before that I love all my 6 DGCs in their own special way, but DGS1 was our first, born on Christmas Eve to DD3 who was quite young and very vulnerable. His abusive father had gone (thank goodness) and I was DD's birth partner. I helped look after him as they lived with us and DD went back to college. We spent a lot of time together so we have a very special relationship. He also adores, and is adored by, DH. ?

Lesley1 Thu 11-Feb-16 17:07:57

We have 18 grandchildren and I have a bond with 2 grandsons as I was there for their births and was the first person to hold them whilst both my daughter's were a bit ill from the gas and air.

ninathenana Thu 11-Feb-16 16:19:43

Greyduster DH says he'd be glad of the lesson, he's always fancied it.

Greyduster Thu 11-Feb-16 14:55:25

I've never done that, but if he ever feels the urge to stand up to his knees in a river, do let me know!

ninathenana Thu 11-Feb-16 14:45:29

That should have been agrin

ninathenana Thu 11-Feb-16 14:44:35

N&G * Greyduster
Sorry to spoil the illusion but DH goes beach/pier fishing ?

hildajenniJ Thu 11-Feb-16 14:28:38

My DGD is the apple of her Grandpa's eye. To him, she can do no wrong! I, on the other hand, have a special bond with GS1. He has x linked ichthyosis, which two of my mother's brothers suffered from, he also has Asperger's syndrome, and he can charm the birds out of the trees! Don't get me wrong, I love them all to pieces, but there is just something special about GS1.

Greyduster Thu 11-Feb-16 13:53:57

My grandson has always been his Grandad's boy. At one point it was like the song "me and my shadow"! I know he loves me, but the biggest hugs have always been for grandad. To be fair, he is more fun than me - noisier, more adventurous, ace footballer, and an absolute soft touch. He never loses his temper and knows all the best bedtime songs. nina I envy your DH. All my attempts to get my GS to the riverbank have ended in complete failure! He's like his grandad - he can't see the point! Can I borrow yours?

grannylyn65 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:48:13

Granny can fix things, always has batteries but is useless with remote controls ( they have 4, I can't cope )!!

Imperfect27 Thu 11-Feb-16 13:39:25

Ha ha nanaandGrampy - I am sure you are right grin.

I really did feel we had some special shared moments yesterday and he is not now bewildered by the sight of me.

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 13:05:08

Imperfect I am SURE that smile for the shop assistant was wind whilst yours was plainly shared adoration !! smile

I am always very careful to be even handed with all our 4 but cannot deny a soft spot for DG3 who I cared for a lot when he was a baby.

nina that sounds wonderful, time on the riverbank with grandad . It's a memory to cherish. My grandchildren are convinced Grampy can fix everything lol

ninathenana Thu 11-Feb-16 12:05:10

DGS#1 asked DH if he would take him fishing this summer (he will be 7) for the first time. I don't know who's more excited ?
DH is the one he comes to for making and mended things too.

Imperfect27 Thu 11-Feb-16 11:56:02

Well ... not yet ... as my first GS is only 5 weeks old, but I had my first smiles from his yesterday - completely melted me, so that is a start smile. I am overlooking the fact that he also smiled and smiled at the shop assistant in a charity shop!!!

As for my own children, I think the eldest daughter was closest to the heart of my father and my mother had an extra sweet spot for my youngest, who bore her middle name. We had moved nearer after being long distance a little while before the youngest arrived and my mum really enjoyed being hands on from the start with her in a way she had missed with the others. I think my mum and dad showed great love all round and were very even handed to my boys too, but somehow it was just apparent that they had a deeper bond with the girls. No one seemed to mind!!!

NanaandGrampy Thu 11-Feb-16 11:40:46

I was listening in to a conversation where our 9 yr old DGD phoned her Grampy to tell him there was a movie on she would really like to see and to ask him would he take her .

It made me smile that he was the one she had chosen for this special outing and got me thinking - do you have a grandchild that has a special relationship with either you or your DH /partner ?