Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ruby anniversary

(7 Posts)
Alphabetty Thu 18-Feb-16 10:58:03

I'm hoping you can help me. My parents in law are going to be celebrating their 40 year anniversary this year and we'd really like to get them something special. They don't have any shared pastimes (mil likes to play with grandchildren and do diy, father in law likes whiskey and Led zeppelin). Is there anything you could suggest? Am very stuck with ideas but they are such lovely people and have been the very best parents in law to me that we'd really like to do something nice for them. thank you.

ninathenana Thu 18-Feb-16 11:04:32

Weekend away, tickets for the theatre, afternoon tea at The Savoy or the regional equivalent, balloon flight. If your DH has siblings have you considered clubbing together so you can afford something extra special smile
I'm sure they will appreciate what ever you choose.

Elrel Thu 18-Feb-16 11:12:25

Red wine, red rose bushes?!

Alphabetty Thu 18-Feb-16 11:20:58

Thank you. I'll have a look at nearby nice hotels/spas. I think she'd love it but not so sure if it's something he'd enjoy as much. Mind you, as long as the hotel bar stocks whisky he'll probably be quite happy. And yes Elrel, I should probably explore the red route too as it's the ruby anniversary!
So you don't think babysitting the grandkids would be a nice anniversary gift...? grin

Granny23 Thu 18-Feb-16 11:40:05

Visit the 'Visit Scotland' website and book them a break in a spa hotel near one of the whisky trails. MIL can be pampered to her hearts content while FIL explores the local distilleries and samples their golden nectar, meeting up again for dinner and breakfast together.

Judthepud2 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:14:46

Yes Elrel great idea! For our 40th wedding anniversary we bought each other a rose bush called Ruby Wedding. Beautiful floribundas which flower every year around the time of our anniversary in July.

Imperfect27 Thu 18-Feb-16 14:32:15

As they are close to you and your children, why not also get the children involved in making them a special ruby wedding card or banner. We used to make banners using paper triangles like bunting. Each triangle had a letter and was also decorated with something that showed an aspect of the person e.g. gardening tools, flowers in pots, football team colours and the like. Always very treasured - if the amount of time they were left on display was anything to go by!

Another 'home grown' gift - a big glass jar and fill it with 40 'tokens', each one with a grandparent and child thing to do on it e.g. watch a film together, go for a picnic etc. OR forty fond memories for them to take out and reminisce over.

Have fun.