Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Apps for 4 year olds

(15 Posts)
SewAddict Mon 29-Feb-16 11:36:13

Teach your Monster To Read is fantastic. My grandson loved it.

Wilks Fri 26-Feb-16 17:34:42

Toca Boca all good, as are Saga Mini, Writing Wizard and most in the Fox and Sheep series and Nosy Crow. The number one we have is only up to 10 so a bit below what he would need I'm guessing.

haddersmum Thu 25-Feb-16 18:20:18

CBeebies playtime and story time seem popular with mine plus Ginger the cat.

MountainAsh Thu 25-Feb-16 13:11:57

My Grandson did very well with Numberjacks. I downloaded it for him when he was three and nearing his sixth birthday he still loves it.
I have to admit to loving the theme song.
"The Numberjacks are on their way......."

Alima Thu 25-Feb-16 11:50:08

Thank you for some brilliant ideas. We now have loads to try out and like some have said, use the free versions first! (I really should not have missed out the vital word "educational" in my previous searches!)

AdeleJay Thu 25-Feb-16 10:28:59

I recommend Maths aged 3-5 you can also get 4-6 by one billion -enjoy. They aren't cheap but they are brilliant

Jayh Thu 25-Feb-16 10:10:51

The Fischer Price apps are popular with my GDS. Story Bots is also good fun. The BBC iplayer is easy to use too. My GD likes to watch Nina and the Neurons and Numberjacks on the iPad.

hildajenniJ Thu 25-Feb-16 09:00:12

Try having a look at Toca Boca toys. They are apps for iPad. My DGC have loved these, the favourite being Toca Boca band.

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-Feb-16 08:45:17

We use quite a lot of interactive books , they all love a good book . And allows them to 'read' a book on their own. I have 4 grandchildren (9,6,4,2) and the apps we use depend on their interests.

In the App Store they usually have a featured educational section. I tend to download all the free ones to start with and we test them out. If one of the children love then then we will pay for the pro version.

Lona Thu 25-Feb-16 08:44:54

If you go to the App store and search specifically, there are lots, but you need to read the reviews and perhaps try them yourself first. I look when I'm on my own, not when the child is with me! wink

Anya Thu 25-Feb-16 08:37:11

Mine loved Monkey Word and Monkey Maths. They'd play them time and time again.

ninathenana Thu 25-Feb-16 08:01:37

I have " Preschool Essentials" on my phone for DGS. I downloaded it from the options. I'm not savvy enough to know how you'd get it on a different device.

Alima Thu 25-Feb-16 07:41:35

Thanks lionpops, he does sometimes watch digger and truck cartoon type cartoons on You Tube though is monitored of course. I was hoping to hear of educational apps for him. He laps up information but we want it to be fun too.

lionpops Thu 25-Feb-16 06:53:22

I notice that mine are using YouTube a lot so perhaps do a search on there.Would have to be supervised though ad there is a lot on there I would not want mine to see.

Alima Wed 24-Feb-16 19:24:07

Could anyone recommend any iPad apps for our DGS who is 4 next month. He seems very interested in numbers and is getting to know more letters daily (we were playing I spy in the car today). At present we only use the Cbeeies ap with him sometimes.