Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

GS 4th birthday

(21 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 05-Mar-16 16:03:11

GS lives with his dad and other nannie and granddad. Other nannie has bought him loads of peppa big merchandise from boxers to school bag. When asked what he wants for his 4th birthday in three weeks he said peppa pig. Half of me says, if that's what he wants, so be it. The other half says this is childish for a 4 yr old boy.
Opinions please.

tanith Sat 05-Mar-16 16:12:06

Childrens taste matures at different times and if he still loves Peppa Pig then why not buy what he likes. There is nothing to say you can't buy him other things as well, how about some Duplo lego if he doesn't have any there are lots of different kinds for all ages.
I'd say leave him to grow out of Peppa Pig when he's ready there really is no hurry.

Riverwalk Sat 05-Mar-16 16:15:26

Oh, nina I think more than your GS's request is the issue here! What's wrong with a 4 year-old having 'childish' wants?

I'm assuming there are other issues - such as why he doesn't live with his mum or you?

My GD, nearly 7, was very into Peppa Pig until a year or two ago.

mumofmadboys Sat 05-Mar-16 17:51:48

Let kids enjoy childish or young pursuits as long as they want I say. We are adults for a very long time!

aggie Sat 05-Mar-16 18:00:11

I think Peppa Pig is a better choice than my GS s obsession with Dr Who !

Jalima Sat 05-Mar-16 18:07:51

How far are you from Peppa Pig World - could you take him for a trip there (just give him something small to unwrap on his birthday?)

However, he won't ignore other suitable presents just because he loves Peppa Pig

hildajenniJ Sat 05-Mar-16 18:08:40

Peppa pig has a little brother George. Perhaps he would like a cuddly George. My GS1 had a cuddly Iggle Piggle (from In the Night Garden) when he was four. He is seven now and likes Lego Ninjago! He will grow up so quickly, let him be little while he can.

Jalima Sat 05-Mar-16 18:12:31

It's near Romsey in Hampshire

Older DGD still loved it when she was 6.

Indinana Sat 05-Mar-16 18:17:32

I like Peppa Pig and I'm 65. Second childhood obviously grin

Alea Sat 05-Mar-16 18:31:15

Oh if you can't have childish pleasures when you are 4, when can you? smile

cornergran Sat 05-Mar-16 18:34:17

Dgd2 still loves Peppa and she is nearly 7. Thoroughly enjoyed a trip to PP world last summer. Don't think it's doing him any harm.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Mar-16 18:50:16

I think the trouble with Peppa is that she is quite subversive.
I have noticed that when DGD (5) is being awkward or difficult about something, she adopts Peppa's exact tone of stroppy objection.
seriously Nina I would not worry in the slightest, and give your DGS whatever he wants for his birthday.
My 4 year old DGS loves his cuddly toy elephants, he has a whole family of them and his favourite is the little one he calls Baby Grey - he is practising I think for when his little brother arrives in June! smile

annodomini Sat 05-Mar-16 18:53:19

Peppa Pig is a feminist programme without preaching about it. Mummy Pig is always the one who is right and is good with the computer. Peppa is decisive and just a bit bossy.

annsixty Sat 05-Mar-16 18:53:36

Nina he is 4, peppa is totally appropriate. Just get him what he wants and not what you think he should have and enjoy the party.

pollyparrot Sat 05-Mar-16 19:26:29

Get him Peppa Pig. I don't see anything wrong in that, absolutely not.

Jomarie Sat 05-Mar-16 21:25:46

I think the suggestion of Lego is brilliant. Particularly if you get the farmyard set with pigs included. Job done so far as I can see. Peppa Pig is special now but in 6 months time it will probably be something else but farmyard stuff will go on and on. In my opinion Lego in its many shapes, sizes and genres is ace - ie covers a multitude of play experiences

annsixty Sat 05-Mar-16 21:40:29

We have a suitcase full of the original small Lego passed on to my C by neighbours. My C are now 50 and 46, the original C must be in their 60's. Still used by GC,however I would still get peppa if that is what he wants. It is his birthday.

ninathenana Sat 05-Mar-16 22:30:46

He and his older brother have loads of Lego. Before his other nannie moved in he was into superheros the same as his brother. He chose Spiderman duvet and other merchandise. Just seems like he's been influenced and that's not jealousy.
Why he lives with his father is certainly not an issue Riverwalk. D has her reasons. To be honest H and I couldn't cope with GS living here. Why would they anyway when they can be with their daddy. It's irrelevant to my OP.
We're not invited to his party, I've only met other GPs about 3 times in the 12 yrs D has known their dad.
Seems the consensus is Peppa Pig smile

Judthepud2 Sat 05-Mar-16 23:30:58

Aww! 4 is so young to be giving up the innocence of Peppa Pig and splashing in puddles. A visit to PP World if it is nearby sounds just the thing. The little lad will be into superheroes and video games soon enough.

obieone Sun 06-Mar-16 10:41:22

Why cant anybody be childish?
I know reasonably functioning adults who collect frogs. Others collect pigs. Others collect meerkats etc.

nightowl Sun 06-Mar-16 10:52:13

I'm with others who think Peppa Pig is great! DGS loved her at 4 and beyond, although he asked us not to tell his friends he liked her when he started school aged 5. On talking to mums at the school gate this seemed to be a common theme amongst the boys - they all love her but don't want anyone to know!

A couple of months ago, we were scrolling through some recorded to programmes after school when we came across Peppa Pig. DGS, now aged all of 5 and a half, said 'remember when I used to like Peppa Pig nanny?' So watched an episode, then another, then another. One very happy little boy and nanny.