Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What to buy for 3rd baby?

(21 Posts)
Gogogran Fri 11-Mar-16 10:27:04

My goddaughter has just had her 3rd child. She's had a boy and a girl previously so has loads of suitable clothes, toys and books. She has a small place so doesn't really want more clutter. Any suggestions on what I could take her as welcome for the new baby who is now 5 weeks old? I've made a lasagne for the freezer and we don't live nearby so can't offer babysitting which I would do normally. Am thinking maybe some baby toiletries that at least will get used (and used up). Any other ideas?

Luckygirl Fri 11-Mar-16 10:30:01

Something for Mum?

geeljay Fri 11-Mar-16 10:59:53

We chickened out and got a Mothercare voucher.. Having 4 gg c, the mums usually know exactly what they want for the babe. Much better to get something wanted, than waste your hard earned'

Indinana Fri 11-Mar-16 11:04:44

I think baby toiletries would be very welcome. And you could add in some toiletries for your Goddaughter too - a good handcream would be very useful as the constant use of baby wipes is very drying on the hands.

tanith Fri 11-Mar-16 11:16:45

Nappies? an almost never ending expense wink

eGJ Fri 11-Mar-16 11:22:07

Take something small for the new baby and something small for each of the older ones as well as flowers for your Goddaughter flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 11-Mar-16 11:30:12

Get something new! Baby is brand new to Mum and some nice new clothes will be welcome. She won't always want to put him/her in hand-me-downs.

Gogogran Fri 11-Mar-16 13:03:34

Thanks for all your great suggestions. Very good idea about the hand cream Indinana!

Coolgran65 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:44:35

I made a little hamper with toiletries, a little outfit and a towel in the appropriate colour.
You could always arrange a delivery of nappies from on-line.

(I know someone who has them delivered regularly albeit 'seconds' i.e. the packaging is damaged, they get a great price.)

Judthepud2 Fri 11-Mar-16 20:38:28

I agree with JBF A little new outfit and maybe a little cuddly toy that belongs to the baby alone. Don't forget a small thing for the siblings!

sherish Sat 12-Mar-16 05:04:11

For our second great grandchild we bought toiletries for new mum and a Mothercare/Early Learning (Same store) voucher. It was most welcome as she put it towards a new buggy.

Tessa101 Sat 12-Mar-16 10:01:52

I was same as coolgran65 I made up a small hamper with baby bits and I found a lovely book a children's story for a child at bedtime about a new baby arriving in the home, helps them accept/ understand new arrival.Pamper bits for mum Neals yard do a lovely selection of products for babies and mums alike. Enjoy your cuddles.

inishowen Sat 12-Mar-16 11:34:05

Has she got one of those fancy bags for carrying all the baby kit when she's out? My DIL has one and it looks dressy even though it's full of baby stuff.

glammanana Sat 12-Mar-16 11:58:47

We are off for our first visit on Monday to see our first GGD who arrived last week we are taking the usual new baby gifts (hand knitted jackets and gift vouchers) for first time mum we have purchased a gift voucher for her favourite hairdressers for when she feels she is ready for a visit to them.

Wendysue Sat 12-Mar-16 20:05:32

Congrats and best wishes to your goddaughter and family, Gogoran! I think toiletries are a great idea! And definitely Pampers or whatever brand the mom prefers.

About "clutter," I understand your concern, especially if your goddaughter has commented about it. Has she actually said she doesn't want/need anymore clothes, etc? If so, I wouldn't get any. But if she hasn't and it's just your own perception, then I agree with those who say it's ok to give/include a new outfit - just one, of course, or maybe a coordinated pack in different sizes. IMO, a new baby deserves something new that's all their own. But if the mom has indicated that she doesn't want this, then no, don't include it.

Wendysue Sat 12-Mar-16 20:07:17

Glammanana, congrats on your first GGD! How awesome to be a GGM - and well and active enough to enjoy it!

shirleyhick Sat 12-Mar-16 20:21:53

I agree baby toiletries or gift vouchers not forgetting something for mom.

marionk Sat 12-Mar-16 22:09:49

Make a nappy cake, plenty of tutorials on line, huge fun to make and so much more personal than a box of nappies. Toiletries can be hidden in the centre and small gifts can be used to decorate on the outside. I did one for each of my DGDs and for a friend's DGD. I added baby socks, colourful body suits, baby toothbrush and toothpaste etc

Wendysue Mon 14-Mar-16 07:34:06

One other thought... A lot depends on the season the older kids were born in, too. If they were winter babies, for example, some of what they wore won't be right for this baby. So unless, the mom specifically said, "no clothes," I'd go ahead and get an outfit or two. Or, better yet, ask her about it (if you haven't already, that is).

VendyThomas Thu 17-Mar-16 09:32:24

It will be nice to gift some useful products like baby care products, baby blanket or mink, nappies box, diapers box and a hand knitted teddy. You can collect all the items into a basket, nicely wrap it and gift her.

Feelthefear Thu 17-Mar-16 12:33:44

I know they divide opinion, but I like nappy cakes, I think they look cute and are practical because you can use everything in them. I'm not crafty enough to make one, but something like this on Etsy

I've also made up a hamper with some bits and bobs for Mum- insulated coffee mug, nice toiletries, hand cream, the Waitrose baby bottom stuff everyone raves about, magazine, baby feed wheel card, nibbles like crisps and sweet treats... 'grazing' food!