Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help- advice on living with crutches.

(33 Posts)
Craftycat Fri 06-May-16 11:03:18

Very stupid little accident on Wednesday involving a kerb, a garden waste bin & a clumsy woman has led to broken bones in foot ( right one so I cannot drive) & a plaster cast .
I have never broken a bone before so this is a totally new experience for me.
I got the advice on how to walk with the crutches at the hospital but it's not that easy at all. Doesn't help that I have a rotator cuff impingement at the moment so one shoulder painful anyway.
I have got the swinging thing to walk but it's things like stairs & getting up & down steps that are foiling me. Tried going up stairs on bottom but they are quite deep & finished up crawling up as DGS does. That means plaster cuts painfully into back of leg. Coming down I just sort of slide- probably quite dangerous as I got quite fast this morning.
Other leg & arms & shoulders now hurt like hell. Is there a knack to all this??
Can't hoover, mop floors or take anything up or down stairs or even between rooms. I reckon I CAN iron if I get DH to put board down & move it next to a chair when he comes home from work. Phone is always in the room I'm not in - I may try hanging it on a ribbon round neck- tucked into bra right now but keeps falling out.

Really fed up.

However I DID manage to vote yesterday- went straight from hospital with wet plaster. Never missed in my life & wasn't going to this time.
Any tips on how I survive the next 6 weeks ( & yes I KNOW I'm very lucky it is only for 6 weeks & it WAS my own stupid fault)

granjura Fri 03-Jun-16 14:52:13

Great to know you are on the mend and getting some help.

I drove to the physio yesterday for the first time since the knee replacement end March. Although I've always loved driving, I was actually a bit apprehensive- but it was great and I am soooo happy to be able to get my independence back! Hurrah x

Craftycat Fri 03-Jun-16 11:30:30

I don't expect miracles- I know DH will be back to old ways as soon as this boot is off!
Having said that DGC stayed for 2 days this week being half term & 10 year old GS cut down all the tatty bushes round pond that were annoying me & 11 year old GS cooked a fantastic Macaroni Cheese from scratch (roux method)with me giving instructions- his first time too, GD just behaved well which is all I ever ask!!

I'm going to have a go at driving next weekend.

granjura Sun 29-May-16 12:48:05

Well done you, onwards and forwards.

DH has continued to take part in cooking duties even though I am now able to do it myself- hurrah.

Craftycat Sun 29-May-16 11:55:51

Well 4 1/2 weeks in & I am able to get about very well with boot.
I CAN walk without it for short distances (to loo in middle of the night mainly) but not doing it very often.
I was told at Fracture Clinic that I would know when I could start to walk normally again & they don't need to see me again - which is great. Trouble is I don't. I think I can do a bit without now but I would not try to drive yet.
It doesn't actually hurt to walk- ankle feels a bit achy but that wasn't the problem- I think it may be the way the boot supports it. The boot is very hot in this weather so I do take it off if I am lying in the garden on every comfortable sunbed which raises foot above heart- which I do at every available opportunity
Anybody have any experience of how long it should take- they said 'about 6 weeks' at the start but I am a quick healer.
I am surprised how well I have managed as I am always out & about. Kind friends have been marvelous taking me about & visiting but I have actually quite enjoyed being out of the frame for a bit & reading all those books I have had on Kindle waiting for me for ages. Also painted some furniture I had been planning to do for yonks.I rather hope when I am back to normal I can keep a coupe of days a week free just for me!
Very much doubt DH will continue to mow lawn & unload dishwasher though. It's been quite a revelation for him to see how much I do when he is at work!

Craftycat Mon 09-May-16 11:10:26

Our banisters are odd- you can't get you hand all round them as they are fixed to a side wall so I have kept to the crawl up method which is working fine.

I put a note on front door saying 'please be patient- may take a while to get to door' too- as I have to shop online now I don't want it all going back to depot.

I managed planting out the bedding by using an old blanket we use to keep cats hairs off sofa- rolled it longways &crawled along it by side of flower beds. When I ran out of blanket I rolled the bit behind me up & shuffled it round & then did the same again. Result!! The plants did not die in the containers. Then DH carried the pots over to me & I planted them sitting on a step. Very pleased with this small victory.
In case you are wondering DH could NOT have done it . I'd have been forever yelling' Roots DOWN!' Not his thing at all.

Ex work colleagues who were coming to lunch tomorrow are now picking me up & we are going to one of their houses instead & I have been offered a lift to my craft group on Thursday so I will be much happier when I get out of house.

tiggypiro Sun 08-May-16 14:07:43

I agree with using one banister and one crutch to go up and down stairs but as I mentioned before have a spare crutch at the top of the stairs to use when you are up there. Another tip is to have a rope tied to the top of a banister and long enough to go down the stairs. Tie a large bag to the rope, fill it up with whatever needs taking up or down and just pull it up/ throw it down as needed once you get to the top.

Synonymous Sat 07-May-16 21:46:28

Craftycat I know I couldn't really hear the plaintive note in your voice as you said, "I'll be fine in a couple of days" but you are right and you will be fine soon. smile As you say, it is a confidence thing.
My DH says just one banister and a crutch is what you need to use for support and using the two banisters is asking for trouble! You are fortunate to be able to use your strongest arm where you need it most since you can choose which banister to use.

It is difficult to wait for help when you need it and stay on very 'light duties' but you really must be kind to yourself so that you can heal properly. flowers

Elegran Sat 07-May-16 18:32:24

No, Nellie not from experience but I used to know someone who was permanently on crutches. She didn't drive. She would go to the shops with two shoulder bags crossed over her front diagonally, and had paying down to a fine art - both crutches held in one hand while she fished in one shoulder bag with the other for her purse, then everything packed away and off she went. Her house keys were in the easiest pocket to get at. One shoulder bag was a portable life support system - purse, tissues, notebook and pencil, phone, bottle of water, everything she was likely to need.

granjura Sat 07-May-16 18:21:31

Check vacuum handles every single time before getting in bath or shower- to ensure it's not come loose! Can't use them in the new bathroom as the modern tiles are not smooth- a bit more like slate.

Charleygirl Sat 07-May-16 18:08:48

Nelliemoser they are fine for applying light weight- I used to use mine post surgery to get up off the shower stool but I was careful not to apply much pressure

Nelliemoser Sat 07-May-16 17:44:09

Craftycat I hope it heals OK.

Nelliemoser Sat 07-May-16 17:37:50

Elegran you sound as if you are speaking from experience.
There are ways around this sort of thing, a length of rope to pull the crutch up after you?
I worry about vacuum sealed handles I would be very wary of using one.

Charleygirl Sat 07-May-16 16:51:45

If desperate you could go upstairs on your rear end but backwards. The problem may be at the top of the stairs getting up. That would be my problem, you may be more nimble than I am which would not be difficult. You appear to be doing very well.

Be careful re the vacuum sealed handles for a shower because they are weight related and some will only tolerate eg 7-8 stone.

Craftycat Sat 07-May-16 16:42:03

We've got a bannister on both sides but I'm too nervous to try yet. I can crawl up OK but I do get down on my bum holding bannisters. I'll try that method later.
It is difficult not to put foot down- I have had to it heel down on occasions. I lost it this afternoon & couldn't get back up step from garden. I did it several times yesterday. It's a confidence thing.
I'll be fine in a couple of days.

Synonymous Sat 07-May-16 11:34:29

So sorry to hear of your woes craftycat and hope your recovery is fast and sure. flowers
Do be very careful to do all that they tell you as broken bones in the foot are tricky things to heal well and there will never be a time when you won't want to use your feet.

DH has considerable experience with crutches. His advice for stairs is as follows:

Going up stairs:
Put crutch from Bannister side in other hand and using the Bannister to hold on and other crutch put your good foot on to first step. Then bring active crutch up on to first step, then bring bad foot on to first step.
Now that you have active crutch and both feet on first step move hand up Bannister and bring good foot on to second step followed by the active crutch and then bad foot and continue in this way. When you reach the top transfer the crutch back to Bannister side hand so you are back on two crutches.

Going downstairs:
Again transfer the Bannister side crutch into other hand then put the one crutch that you are using down on to first step while holding the Bannister with the other hand. Bring the good foot down first then the injured foot down and move hand down bannister continue down the stair in the order crutch, good foot, bad foot ensuring you don't let go of the Bannister and continue in this way.

Basically you are keeping your weight on your good foot all the time. Hope this helps. smile

DH's first time on crutches was on board ship - that was very interesting! hmm

Juggernaut Sat 07-May-16 11:09:12

Craftycat
When I broke my foot (basically smashed it to bits) and was in a cast for 9 weeks, I hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross.
It meant DH could take me out when he was available, and I could self propel around the house.
The kitchen was a problem, but I learned to swing between units, so managed quite well.
Have you got a 'plaster of paris' cast, or a 'fibreglass' one? A fibreglass cast can be walked on as often as you want/need. It's tiring and balance is a slight problem, but it's much better, and a lot safer than using crutches on stairs!
If you want to weed the garden, only get down on a blanket if there's someone to help you back up, getting upright is a lot harder than you think if there's a non-bending ankle!

Craftycat Sat 07-May-16 11:05:58

Grabber is great - DH has one that he chases GC with so I've nabbed that!

Craftycat Sat 07-May-16 11:04:52

Ooo- thanks for tip about flask too! Why did I not think of that.? When I make soup DH takes it to work in plastic sealed top cups- I've got loads of them!

Katek Sat 07-May-16 10:52:16

Forgot to say that OT at hospital should be able to help out with aids or try local Red Cross

Katek Sat 07-May-16 10:50:33

Have you got handles in shower? If not I can recommend those vacuum seal ones. Also try and get a kids' grabber thing, handy for picking things up and staying fairly vertical. You can buy the proper ones but kids' version is much cheaper. Argos also have a frame to go over the loo which will give you something to lever yourself up on. SIL is still on crutches after his biking accident so we've just been through buying all these things! Hope you feel a bit more positive today.

Craftycat Sat 07-May-16 10:25:01

So much helpful advice- thank you all so much.
Feeling a bit brighter today- well DH home for 2 days to help out & have had a good cry!!! Always helps.

I can't weight-bear but I'm doing OK really. After getting carpet burns on bum I found a pair of just below knee trousers I can get on so that is OK. I have mastered a crawl upstairs that doesn't get cast digging into leg too pushing crutches ahead of me.
I got a LIMBO so I've been able to have a shower & wash my hair & colleague of DH is going to lend us a shower stool.
I have dug out a shoulder bag so carrying all my worldly possessions with me at all times- that was a great tip.
DS1 came round in afternoon & gave me some hints on using on crutches- he was on them for 8 weeks following a car accident some years ago & he is a wizz at them. It was good to spend some time alone with him too when all the lovely children were not demanding all my attention. DS2 is bringing children over sometime this weekend which will be nice too.
I have worked out how to get round kitchen by swinging between units so I really am getting there.
Everything else except bad foot hurts but that is inevitable as all these muscles have not been used like this before.
We only have a small cottage hospital here with an emergency dept. for over 18s so I doubt there was a physio to see but they are lovely & were very kind.
I'll see how I go over weekend when I have support & if necessary I will go back on Monday. I am now blagging lifts - I can get into front seat of car with seat pushed right back. I am always giving lifts to others so it's payback time. I have a very active life & out a lot both day & evening so I am going to have to curtail things a bit & read more. Thank Heavens for all this lovely sun- I am going to try weeding kneeling on a thick blanket later. I bet can!

Thank you all again- sorry I was so miserable.

granjura Fri 06-May-16 18:53:03

In my case, as I was allowed to weight-bear- the physiotherapist's short version of basic stair technique was 'down to hell on bad leg, up to heaven on the good one'- easy to remember.

granjura Fri 06-May-16 18:21:47

You poor thing- you really need one to one professional advice here, or your risk seriously hurting yourself. Because you are probably not allowed to weight bear and your shoulder problem, etc- its impossible to give general advice on a Forum like this. So please- ask for a visit and individual advice for your own circumstances.

Just about th put the crutches away and switch to one stick or my nordic sticks for longer walks, after knee replacement. I was allowed to weight bear from the start, increasingly, don't have shoulder or wrist problems, am strong, got shallow stairs and a DH who was able to help from the minute I came home (after 9 days)- so just can't imagine how you can cope without professional one to one help.

All the very best, stay safe.

Humbertbear Fri 06-May-16 17:56:35

My husband broke his foot and we moved the microwave and kettle into the dining room so he could make a cup of tea and warm the lunch I left for him.

aggie Fri 06-May-16 17:44:36

I was a Physiotherapist and taught hundreds of people to go up and down stairs with crutches ......... fast forward ......... retired , fell , broken ankle , full leg plaster ..... the stairs were a NIGHTMARE , I did manage but came down in the am and went back up pm