Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Retiring by the sea

(83 Posts)
Bridgit Thu 12-May-16 14:33:55

I'm due to retire in 3 years time and my partner and I are thinking of moving somewhere more rural, ideally by the sea. Not necessarily to swim in but we do have probably quite romantic ideas of hearing the ocean or at the very least being able to travel to the seaside to walk along the coast. Do any of you live near the sea? We don't really mind where it is.

annodomini Fri 13-May-16 12:52:51

Born and bred by the sea but when I retired I couldn't move even further away from my family so stayed in the middle of England. 50 years since I left Scotland, I still miss the sea

Seasidenana Fri 13-May-16 13:28:48

I live near the sea on the East Coast. My house is about 15 - 20 minutes walk from the beach. I love it because the sea is ever changing, sometimes blue with gentle waves, sometimes a raging crashing storm. I never get tired of watching it. The other lovely thing is it is a community hub for locals and visitors alike. We have some lovely cafes, parks and walks by the sea. People walk and congregate on the seaside walks. My favourite sea front cafe does music nights on Sunday's where we listen to the music while watching the sea in all seasons.

carolmary Fri 13-May-16 13:37:35

MaggieMaybe, I feel for you.

We have lived on the Cleveland coast for 40 years and wouuld not live anywhere else. We live 10 minutes walk from a wide empty beach and it is great in all weathers. There are plenty of activities for seniors, volunteering, clubs, U3a (a fantastic group near here). Lots of terrific walks within easy walking and driving distance. Our Hertfordshire based DD and GCs spend most of their holidays here, even urban- southerner SIL can bear it for a wek at Christmas!
Having said that, it's not for everyone. I'd also suggest renting for a while or a winter holiday. Houses are quite cheap here too. Nowadays, a Londoner could sell a semi and buy a mansion! (Too late for us!)

EllenT Fri 13-May-16 14:59:09

I was also a seaside child and have rarely been happy away from the coast. We currently live in a seaside satellite of Edinburgh. It's lovely at some times of the day and the year. But other people like it too, understandably. On sunny weekends the motorbikes and the crowds roar in, and our trains into town are becoming uncomfortably crowded as more new housing is built to cater for demand to live by the sea. That being said, one of the options when DH retires is to move 'home' to Tynemouth, part of Newcastles's coast, which will likely be even busier! The benefits of both our current home and, more so, Tynemouth, is that they allow walking on the beach alongside local amenities and relatively easy access to more urban pleasures. It's always going to be a compromise....

Maggiemaybe Fri 13-May-16 15:22:50

carolmary, I'm jealous! If I could pick up all my DC and DGC and bring them with me I'd be back up there like a shot! They all love visiting with me, much as they like living where we do. And I count myself very lucky that I have them all close at hand, wherever we live. But how I miss that seaweed smell and good fresh salty air.

Soniah Fri 13-May-16 15:49:05

We moved last year from Northamptonshire, as far from the sea as you can get in the UK, to North Wales, now we are 15 mins from Kinmel bay, Gronant and Talacre and 25 fron Llandudno, fantastic and with mountains to climb, or drive up and walk on to admire the view, Mold Theatre 15 mins away which has an excellent programme, a small town with shop, pharmacy, post office, butcher, hair dresser, two pubs, Town Hall, memorial Hall, school, church and bus service. We also have our son and grandchildren only 25 minutes away in Chester and the train service from London is good so our daughter can easily visit. We don't regret it at all and if you chose the right place (in a rain shadow) it really doesn't often rain. We do have a large conservatory that we live in from April to October which I highly recommend. Wales also seems cheaper and some of the council services more old fashioned in a nice way, you actually get to talk to people!

Luckygirl Fri 13-May-16 15:50:11

Tricia89 - I was brought up near Leigh-on-Sea - we used to cycle to the cocklesheds - I doubt whether they are still there, or at last they are probably subject to all sorts of health and safety regulations that were definitely not there when I was a child!!

We now live in the wilds of the south Wales border - a long way from the sea! I desperately miss it but we are near two of our children and enjoy our role with the care of GC. OH is not well and we would not want top be far from family. And, to make up for no sea, we have the most sublime uninterrupted view south across a Welsh valley from our wonderful south-facing house with balcony. So, even though I miss the sea, this is the right place for us to be.

Ranworth1 Fri 13-May-16 16:10:59

I live in Teignmouth - Great beaches, transport & shops, including an Arts Quarter. Only £2.85 for return train ticket (19 minutes) to Exeter (University & all the shops you need) with Senior Rail Card, or free bus every 20 minutes with Bus Pass. Exeter International Airport just 20 minutes' drive away. Oh & Dartmoor can be seen from my window, only 25 minutes' drive away. Lucky me!

Nibbie Fri 13-May-16 16:19:18

I live in Redcar,no I wouldn't recommend this part of the coast,Northumberland is lovely,why not have a holiday at a couple of different places,just remember it's not always lovely,,winter can be difficult,don't move too far away from the area and friends you know.life may get lonley

mich777 Fri 13-May-16 16:30:16

I think its a lovely goal Bridgett to live by the sea and countryside.

I live along the south east coast of the UK(stretching from Folkestone to Bexhill-on-sea) and I feel so lucky as its always so healing by the sea. I go regularly to many of these coastal gems.

I often go for walks along several sandy beaches here especially when I feel very tired or need to totally relax and unwind. I think the negative ions in the atmosphere rebalance the body really quickly.

My sister used to live in a lovely spacious but very affordable 2 bed flat in a little coastal area in East Sussex and she swears that she had never felt so healthy.

I have many friends who live in Hastings and say they would never live anywhere else.

I used to swim in the sea a lot when there was a full moon at a lovely beach called Camber after my nursing shift in the evening. It was heaven. The moon would spread its silver shimmers across the gently lapping sea...really magical.

Now a days I am very lucky that work in my small property search business that looks for properties for either country or coastal relocators to the south east.

If I can help you Bridgit, please look at my advert listing on mums net and grans net under.. on the high street or household services property search and I may be of service to you?

I would love to hear what attracts you to the sea or indeed the countryside?
Where are you in the UK at the moment?

You could always buy a buy-to-let bungalow by the sea and rent it out until you retire??

Many people come to the South East and retire here.

Hythe is a very popular area.

My next favourite place to be if not here is Nepal. Its very peaceful and calming where I stay.

Legs55 Fri 13-May-16 18:13:13

I have no desire to move to the coast - last year I moved to Devon (edge of Dartmoor National Park) from Somerset, originally from Yorkshire (Dales). Moved to be near my family after my DH sadly passed away. I have the best of both worlds though as I am a country girl but am only 15 mins from coast (without holiday traffic) if I need a "sea fix". Wouldn't swap my home & area for anything all shops, doctors surgery etc accessible by car or bus & 2 large cities only 10mins drive away.

Funnygran Fri 13-May-16 19:16:08

I was brought up in the North East and have happy memories of Saltburn and I still visit when I am up there. But to move would be to leave children and grandchildren a long way away and as others have pointed out, it's not always easy to start afresh after retiring. I live a long way from the coast now but appreciate the city I've lived in for 30 years. I suppose it's all a question of compromise.

Dillonsgranma Fri 13-May-16 19:26:55

I live in Exmouth in a bungalow ten minutes by car from the beach. Best of both worlds, as I am onan estate with s shop and post office, and a main bus route too. I love wal
king my little dogs on the beach.

Jalima Fri 13-May-16 19:42:17

Dillonsgranma so envy
We were there the other week, many happy days spent there!

Jalima Fri 13-May-16 19:43:21

Now, if I can just persuade DS, DIL to move to Devon .....

J52 Fri 13-May-16 19:54:26

funnygran, DH had a great Aunt who had a top floor flat in Britania Mansions on the front at Saltburn. As a young boy he spent many happy week ends there, overlooking the sea. Whenever we are in the area we always go and visit Saltburn.

I've stolen him to our seaside second home on the West Coast of Scotland!

x

vwaves Fri 13-May-16 19:54:36

I live in St Ives Cornwall. Many people retire to this area and it is lovely with loads to do. Property is pricey in St Ives itself but places like hayle are less. But....many people who move down here ,including me, find it too far from family and friends! Something to be aware if wherever you go.

Luckygirl Fri 13-May-16 19:59:42

Ah Exmouth - I spent every holiday in Lympstone as a child as my grandma lived there - and then my parents moved to Exmouth. So that area is very dear to my heart. We went back there last year and Exmouth had changed enormously - I found it hard to get my head round.

Jalima Fri 13-May-16 20:18:36

It had changed when we visited recently but the beach was the same!!

Funnygran Fri 13-May-16 20:54:24

J52, I remember those mansions on the sea front at Saltburn. It's not really changed much in over 50 years. My mum liked to take us there as she thought it was more genteel than Redcar!

chrissyh Fri 13-May-16 22:08:28

How about trying it for a year by taking a year long let - you could always let your home for the same period if money is a problem. I think a year should be long enough to give you an idea of whether you would like to make it permanent or not. You mention about somewhere more rural. Be aware of moving to a rural area as you are getting older - is there public transport if you become unable to drive, are you near to doctors/hospitals, etc. If it's for you then good luck and enjoy your retirement.

cassandra264 Sat 14-May-16 06:28:29

Enforced early retirement forced a rethink for us and we have happily managed b&b in a lovely village close to the sea and countryside for years. However, now that we have health issues it is less easy. We are over 100 miles from the nearest close family members, fifteen minutes drive from shops, forty-five minutes from a hospital ( not wonderful if you need an ambulance) - and, although a train station is ten minutes away, local buses are infrequent and practically non existent outside the tourist season. We love our beautiful area - but these things do matter more and more as you become older, and if you could no longer drive would become very difficult.

Gagagran Sat 14-May-16 07:16:15

My DH always reckons it would be cheaper to take a taxi everywhere locally rather than run a car with all its associated costs and depreciation. Maybe you could consider that cassandra rather than have to move away from somewhere you love? smile

Nansypansy Sat 14-May-16 07:27:07

I live in Torquay where I moved to over 50 years ago from Hertfordshire. I love living by the sea and am sure I appreciate it more than those who were born here. It is close to Dartmoor ....... There are coastal walks and trips to Cornwall and the other adjacent counties are easily accessible. Exeter Airport is within easy reach; the train is great too - I still get a thrill if I've been away when I first sight the sea again and know that I'm home. Finally, the cost of property down here is very reasonable in comparison to many other regions.

Tricia89 Sat 14-May-16 08:39:04

Luckygirl - I'm happy to report that the cockle sheds are still there; not so many but still in demand. Old Leigh is now a conservation area so you'll still be able to have lunch in the Peterboat or other remembered favourite.