Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Light diffusing blinds

(20 Posts)
kittylester Tue 24-May-16 10:26:43

Our kitchen is south facing with a large picture window and therefore the sun can be very bright. I'd rather cope but dh pulls rhe blinds down which makes the kitchen dark.

Does anyone have any experience of blinds that filter the glare whilst still allowing a view of the garden? Thank you

Alea Tue 24-May-16 10:28:32


Elegran Tue 24-May-16 10:45:39

Horizontal Venetian blinds angled so that you can look down onto the garden but the sun can't look down into the kitchen? You get a horizontally striped view, but it is still a view.

I used to have those, but since I replaced them with vertical blinds, I now angle the vertical slats to deflect the sun and get vertical stripes of garden - it works most of the time, but then the sun moves sideways and still sneaks in.

GandTea Tue 24-May-16 10:51:17

We chose vertical blinds, The sun streams in to our lounge and blinds us part of the day. The supplier bought samples along on a sunny day for us to choose the one that gave us the level of sun block that we wanted without blocking the light.

kittylester Tue 24-May-16 11:52:30

The hotel we are staying in has light diffusing roller blinds in the bedrooms which are very good at stopping the glare from the sun on the sea but still allowing us to see out. I wondered if they worked a domestic setting and thought I remembered some one mentioning them sometime.

annodomini Tue 24-May-16 12:52:00

This aroused my curiosity so I Googled it and came up with this

Nandalot Tue 24-May-16 13:48:56

Exactly our problem. I too googled it and found some on Blinds 2go called optic linen magic that sounds like the ones you mean.

We were just about to order a patterned roller blind but will think again. At the moment int the late afternoon/ evening we are in the kitchen with sun hat and sunglasses on. ( both DH and I are light sensitive and can get a migraine from glare) .
So thanks for your question!

kittylester Tue 24-May-16 13:51:43

You obviously asked Google a better question than I did anno. Thank you!

GandTea Tue 24-May-16 13:53:21

Our supplier, had a pattern book with dozens of designs, each one had a diffusion rating so once you had decided the level of diffusion wanted, you could choose your pattern. I doubt we could have chosen on-line, needed to see and compare.

annodomini Tue 24-May-16 14:13:39

I think this kind of blind would be ideal for my bathroom but I'd prefer to see it before I committed myself. I see that the web site I found offers a free sample.

kittylester Tue 24-May-16 14:32:21

Sounds as though they are easy to come across - I've just never spotted them. Thank you all!

Grannyknot Tue 24-May-16 14:46:12

These are the blinds I mentioned on another thread. They have changed my life! They are continuous and you pull them to let as much or as little light in as you wish (by lining up either the solid or transparent strips).

"The latest in window fashion innovation, Day Night Blinds use 2 sliding layers of fabric with transparent horizontal strips. This unique approach to light control is simple but amazingly effective and allows you to strike the perfect balance between incoming light and privacy".

Lillie Tue 24-May-16 15:41:03

We have those too Grannyknot in one of front rooms and I agree they really are brilliant. It is so easy to to line up the strips and they looks smart inside and out.

kittylester Tue 24-May-16 15:46:13

Do you leave them down all the time? Xx

Newquay Tue 24-May-16 16:30:47

We need something new at our bedroom window which is east facing and, despite having curtains with blackout blinds, light still seeps round edges.
We have nets at the mo which afford privacy but thinking of shutters which can be angled so I don't give neighbour's a fright when emerging from shower.

Lillie Tue 24-May-16 16:50:59

Up/Down/Partly Open - the choice is yours. We live on a busy London street, so we normally have the blinds down and the slats partly open. I can assure you no one can see in even when the lights are on, they're very clever! Ours work well for us because they are in five separate panels round the bay, so we can adjust them individually as we like.

Newquay Tue 24-May-16 17:22:55

Thanks Lillie. That's the sort of thing we were looking at. Our window frames are mahogany so would probably get the same for the shutters.

Lillie Tue 24-May-16 17:34:40

They are called duorol and we first saw them in John Lewis. They come in different colours.

Grannyknot Wed 25-May-16 16:01:00

Apologies only just got back to this thread. I agree with every word of Lillie 's post...

abdulmughal Thu 11-Jun-20 09:54:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.