Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birth of daughter's first baby

(64 Posts)
mutti Sat 04-Jun-16 12:52:41

Would you go abroad on a holiday within three weeks of the due date of a daughter's first baby? I don't want to but DH does. Nothing is booked.

mutti Mon 21-Nov-16 22:31:50

Clementine, I do hope that your daughter & son-in-law's IVF is successful. Good luck to you all.

mutti Mon 21-Nov-16 22:28:41

Thank you very much for your good wishes, everyone. My daughter & her husband are very loving and natural parents to their dear little baby boy. He arrived late in fact, but my husband did agree in the end that it was a good job we hadn't gone away .. just in case. The other members of both families are thrilled with the new arrival too and he's proving a real joy to both sets of grandparents as well as his uncles & aunts & cousins. We all feel very fortunate, and my daughter glows with happiness in spite of the inevitable tiredness which comes with new parenthood.

ElaineI Thu 17-Nov-16 23:05:46

Congratulations Mutti how wonderful for your family xxxxx

clementine Thu 17-Nov-16 11:30:51

Meant to add of course, Congratulations to Mufti and delighted it all worked out x

clementine Thu 17-Nov-16 11:29:50

Im coming to this from a slightly different angle,my daughter and son in law are currently undergoing IVF and we have been thinking of booking a holiday, currently no baby on the horizon so Ive taken a chance and booked a spring break, in the hope that if they manage to conceive, the little one won't be due to put in an appearance until late summer . Obviously we will know before then whether or not she is falls pregnant, but if she does, I will probably still worry even though it wouldn't be due for a few months. Its a mum thing LOL

Iam64 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:03:37

I suspect you've posted without reading the updates and congratulations granny piper.

grannypiper Wed 16-Nov-16 18:06:27

JUST NO, if my DH had even uttered those words there would have been hell to pay. One tip mutti ask your DD and DSIL if you can be told of the babies arrival BRFORE it is posted on fakebook, my poor friend was super excited about the birth of her first Grandchild and was heartbroken when the world knew before her (she doesnt do F/B)

Maggiemaybe Wed 16-Nov-16 17:05:32

Congratulations mutti! wine

Judthepud2 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:29:16

?

Judthepud2 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:28:57

Good news mutti and congratulations. Were you around when the baby was born!

hulahoop Wed 16-Nov-16 12:13:19

Congratulations glad all went well??

harrigran Wed 16-Nov-16 09:50:22

Congratulations mutti flowers

shysal Wed 16-Nov-16 09:14:23

Congratulations mutti. Did the date coincide with your cancelled holiday?

Iam64 Wed 16-Nov-16 08:30:31

Congratulations Mutti, that's such good news for all of you x

Jane10 Wed 16-Nov-16 06:22:29

Lovely news!

cornergran Tue 15-Nov-16 23:34:55

Congratulations to all mutti. Wonderful for you and your family.

Nelliemoser Tue 15-Nov-16 23:32:43

Mutti thanks for letting us know. Congratulations. We will require forenames at least one baby picture. Enjoy your little one.

mutti Tue 15-Nov-16 23:18:40

Just thought that those people who responded so kindly might like to know that my daughter had a gorgeous little boy six weeks ago and all is very well. Thank you all for your support. I have just posted a question on a new thread on the 'Ask a Gran' part of the forum about an issue affecting a different branch of the family, and I'm hoping for some equally enlightening and helpful replies.

hulahoop Thu 09-Jun-16 22:27:31

I would not have gone away hope all goes well Mutti ?

mutti Thu 09-Jun-16 21:27:57

Towards the end of September, Indinana. Thank you for your good wishes; I am indeed really looking forward to the arrival of the new little one, especially as this daughter has previously endured some miscarriages.

silverlining48 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:47:18

Hope all goes well. There's always plenty of time for holidays and you may need them if you are involved in childcare. Congratulations mutti and if by any chance you are German, that mean you will be oma , allies gut.

silverlining48 Thu 09-Jun-16 16:43:12

Hope all goes well mutti. Plenty of time for holidays in future.

MagicWriter2016 Thu 09-Jun-16 15:40:00

Only if the holiday had been booked, otherwise I would probably wait until after the baby was born.

Thingmajig Thu 09-Jun-16 15:30:55

I wouldn't go either, and in fact we won't be booking any holidays after the 6 month stage if DD becomes pregnant again as she developed a severe case of pre-eclampsia at 32 weeks with her first.

We were actually booked on a holiday a few days after the early birth of DGD and cancelled when we saw how things stood in the hospital, even if she wasn't C-sectioned the next day (after admission) she would have been at some point during our 2 weeks away, and Mexico felt toooo far away ... didn't get ourselves organised again for about 9 months as it turned out! smile

chrissyh Thu 09-Jun-16 15:10:16

Not sure what I'd do if it was booked and paid for but definitely wouldn't go if nothing was booked but, then again, nor would my DH.