Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oh! this great fat belly.

(107 Posts)
chicken Wed 08-Jun-16 12:40:25

I'm 5ft 5ins and under 10 stone, having lost one and a half stone on a diet, but I still look about six months pregnant even in shapewear. It's not that I'm inactive; I've put in three hours digging in the veg garden this morning and that's quite normal for me, but I just can't shift this great flabby belly! Has anyone got any ideas that might work---as long as it doesn't involve floor exercises? I'd never be able to get up again without a hoist.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Jul-17 19:01:23

Scientists say all sorts of things we 'should' or shouldn't have, do, think.
I wouldn't mind, but it changes too, sometimes. If I lose or put on weight, I stay the same shape, just a bigger or smaller version.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Jul-17 18:31:18

oh dear hmm

BBbevan Sun 02-Jul-17 18:27:56

Scientists and doctors say that your waist measurement should be half your height. So a 6ft tall man should have a waist of no more than 36 ins, A 5ft. 4 ins woman 32ins. Any more and you are courting trouble , diabetes for example.

wot Sun 02-Jul-17 18:10:42

Cheeky cow!!! Not a friend at all, I suspect. We tend to forgive the men in our lives/sightlines for their huge bellies, but still worry about our own!

MissAdventure Sun 02-Jul-17 16:03:55

Same for me, wot. Years ago, my friend told me I look like Clare Rayner on Twiggy's legs!

wot Sun 02-Jul-17 15:30:49

I often give it a good, spiteful pinch! It couldn't even carry a child so it's always been useless.

wot Sun 02-Jul-17 15:27:43

I despise my fats stomach, crisscrossed with scars just looks so siy with old lady skinny legs. The only thing it's good for is if I need abreast reconstruction.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Jul-17 14:46:02

I have a fat tummy; I always have, since I was a skinny child.

BBbevan Sun 02-Jul-17 14:31:56

Exactly Anya my downfall is fruit. But I limit myself to berries and full fat yogurt for breakfast, and now and again a fig or a peach.

Anya Sun 02-Jul-17 10:00:44

Not altogether. There's carbs in nearly everything, e.g. Milk. But the simple way is to cut out sugars (i.e. cakes, biscuits, fruit juices) bread, potatoes, rice, pasta.

Cut back on fruit and carby vegetables.

hulahoop Sun 02-Jul-17 09:28:28

Well done BBevan on your weight loss my problem is carbs I love bread and potatoes how did you do it did you cut out carbs altogether.

Anya Sun 02-Jul-17 06:28:18

Wonderful BB

BBbevan Sun 02-Jul-17 06:11:17

Not much belly fat at all now. I even have hip bones. I am on the Low carb high fat way of eating. Reversed my diabetes and gone from a size 18 to a 14. Very easy to do and no calorie counting

pilatescertificationsonline Sat 01-Jul-17 08:08:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nanakate Sun 12-Jun-16 11:03:30

I have been told by an expert on human biology, nutrition and body shape that after the menopause we need our belly fat. That's because we still need oestrogen, and once our ovaries have packed up production, some types of body fat will produce oestrogen for us. So it's natural, don't worry about it! What is unnatural and unfair is expecting older women to have the same body shape as younger women.

annie61 Fri 10-Jun-16 14:12:26

My problem, too. I don't mind having put on some weight over the years,except for my huge, wobbly belly, out of proportion to everything else - making dress wearing impossible. Just look eternally pregnant.

Gononsuch Fri 10-Jun-16 08:13:25

Surgery, don't mess about, "if it affends you cut it off", just don't tell anyone.shock

cavaliermum Fri 10-Jun-16 07:59:23

Bella ... The day we stop caring about how we look is the day we may as well die ....
I see some stunning Grans out and about ( myself included on a good day)
Why let ourselves go
And me too am struggling with the dreaded muffin top ....

Kiley7 Fri 10-Jun-16 07:56:11

Don't forget about Water Retention? And look at Lifestyle eating, I have recently done this and found Souper foods help a lot.

Mythbirtthedragon Fri 10-Jun-16 06:49:20

My fitness mad step daughter (her body is her profession) who knows how much exercise I get has told me I need to get more sleep. Apparently I don't get enough and a body that's sleep deprived reacts by storing fat on the stomach.

Grandmama Thu 09-Jun-16 21:09:09

I've always had a biggish tummy, at the start of my first pregnancy my GP asked if I'd ever had an op because there seemed to be a bit of a gap in my tummy muscles. I'm 5ft 1in and weigh between 8st and 8st 7lb and I walk miles. Over Christmas DH was in hospital so with no-one around knowing what I was up to I ate very little (on purpose) and my tummy went down. Michael Mosely's latest Blood Sugar Diet claims that visceral fat decreases with low or non carb food.

Elegran Thu 09-Jun-16 21:07:13

diddy Put smaller helpings in front of him, and hide anything left in the pan so that he can't go for seconds. Stop buying peanuts and when he looks for them, tell him there are none left in the cupboard.

Buy him underwear and T-shirts one size too small that will feel too tight.

Talk to him, say you are worried about his heart and you don't want to be a widow.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 09-Jun-16 20:41:31

I've always done loads of exercise. Walking, bike riding, gardening. Still thickened post menopause. My stomach is exactly as it was when I was five months pregnant with DS. At 39.

gettingonabit Thu 09-Jun-16 20:36:54

jessm my observation too, about exercise. I'm lazy, and make a real effort, even I I don't like exercise much.

Well done you for getting into those trousers.

JessM Thu 09-Jun-16 20:30:12

In my observation most middle aged women, and older ones too, take spectacularly little exercise.There are quite a lot of retired people in my area. There is only one other woman that I see out regularly exercising by walking.
I have some trousers I bought 14 years ago (I remember that it was my sister's 50th when I got them) and they still fit fine. I'm sure they would not if i did not try to get at least 3/4 of an hour energetic walking in most days.