Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much do you spend each week on food?

(188 Posts)
ariana6 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:54:14

I find I'm spending more than usual on the weekly shop, there's only two of us but I can get through anything between 90 to 120 pounds a week on food shopping - no wine or 'extras', just food!
In fairness, we do eat well, everything home cooked, balanced, nutritious but very little is spent on meat as we both prefer fish or veggie based recipes. And I don't shop at Waitrose or Marks and Sparks either!
Interested to find out what is other peoples 'normal'.

jusnoneed Thu 28-Jul-16 22:27:04

I spend around £50/60 in Morrisons or Asda and then another £20 or so in
Lidl. That's for three adults plus the cat. Usually some drink included, beer or wine. I shop once a week. Don't eat out, takeaway once in a blue moon.

MamaCaz Thu 28-Jul-16 22:36:44

We average £60 to £70 for the weekly supermarket shop (two of us, no pets, rarely eat out or have takeaways). There are usually a couple of bottles of wine in the trolley too. My first thought was how on earth do you all manage to spend so much, but then I remembered that I buy hardly any vegetables, and not a lot of fruit either at this time of year, because I grow my own. All I can think is that it saves us a lot more money than I had realized!

Nelliemoser Thu 28-Jul-16 23:05:58

That would take me a bit of time to work out as I tend to buy stuff in batches and my food bills vary quite a lot. I really ought to do it once in a while though. Perhaps by by saving supermarket shopping reciepts for a month or two.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 28-Jul-16 23:36:42

Our weekly shop is about £35 for the 2 of us. I'm veggie, but we both eat veggie except once a week when DH eats meat. It probably increases to about £45-£50 if we need toiletries or something like dishwasher tablets, but we usually buy these when they're on offer e.g. 3 for £10 toothpaste or shampoo.

Some years ago when we had financial problems, we started shopping from a list and now we only have one wage coming in, are still pretty good at sticking to it. I'm not able to physically manage a full supermarket shop, so DH does the shopping and he's not interested in browsing, especially when he's trying to eat a healthy diet. We very rarely throw food away. I can't stand for long in the kitchen but do most of the cooking, so we eat simple meals and try new things fairly often. We do splurge at the weekend if we feel like it, but it doesn't happen that often.

When my Mum and Step-Dad come to stay our shopping bill goes through the roof because they're 3 meals a day people who eat meat. Even if we eat out a lot, our food bill is easily 3 times higher. We are usually left with unused food, but it gets used up.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 28-Jul-16 23:41:49

PS We shop at Lidl with a few things from Tesco (only because it's on the road to Lidl). We used to have our shopping delivered from ASDA until the minimum order value went from £25 to £40.

harrigran Thu 28-Jul-16 23:55:08

I went shopping today and spent £150 between Sainsbury's and Aldi. I buy a lot of fruit and vegetables and things like cartons of smoothies from the chill cabinet, meat is usually fillet steak or lamb.

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Jul-16 01:12:09

Not so much these days with just the two of us, but we eat really well. About £70 a fortnight "big shop", including household stuff, usually Tesco online. Meat we buy from a free range supplier, much less than we used to, probably averages another £20 a fortnight. Wine separate, by the case. Lots of our fruit and nearly all our veg from the allotment. Fish and chips usually once a week, eat out on average once a week, but curries or similar, or on the Clubcard vouchers grin In all probably £60 a week on food.

But we do spend two full days a week sitting for DGS2, when DD2 makes sure we're fed and I'm on my 5:2 fast days anyway.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Jul-16 04:52:26

Only me, I m going to guess about £30 the reason I m guessing I don't do a weekly shop I go with my daughter to Aldi or Lldl if and when she's going and it's convenient for us both, otherwise I just buy when I notice the fridge looks bare it's really hit and miss if I m going near the market I ll buy some fresh fruit and veg if not I won't

I ll have to set some money aside and give it a try one week

f77ms Fri 29-Jul-16 05:47:41

3 adults in our house ,oh and 5 cats ! I shop mainly in Aldi and spend around £70/£80 plus cat food but I get that on line as it is so much cheaper. Not much red meat but my son does like the Aldi sirloin steaks at £3.40 for a huge one . I would spend twice that anywhere else . I avoid Sainsburys because it is so expensive and has lots of nice ready meals which may tempt me . I am known for my careful shopping and rarely buy new clothes , charity shops have everything you could ever need for the house and all the latest books come in after they have been read once . Where I live is quite an affluent area which shows in all the designer clothes which get donated. I prefer to spend any spare money on other things like days out and holidays .

rubylady Fri 29-Jul-16 06:17:16

Mine's probably about £50.00 for us both plus pets. I do have to supply him upstairs with umpteen boxes of cereal and milk a week, not to mention Oreo's and Haribos, just for some peace! grin I do buy steak now, used to do veggie but diagnosed anaemic so lots of meat now. Ordered liver this week with some fava beans and a nice bottle of Chianti. grin

f77ms Fri 29-Jul-16 06:41:36

Ruby lol

whitewave Fri 29-Jul-16 07:45:22

I am interested in the grans who have emoty fridges. Do you mean literally or just empty of suitable stuff for a meal. Mine is always stuffed of opened jars of pesto, mustard, jam, sundries tomatoes in oil, roasted peppers etc etc. The shelves are half full of that sort of stuff which is a pain.

Lillie Fri 29-Jul-16 07:54:31

My fridge is empty of proper food because I shop daily, but I do have the jars you mention whitewave in the door compartment.

I have a real problem with my dog who can open the fridge door and help himself to anything, including packets of butter, to eat!! grin grin So another reason for me not to leave too much on the shelves.

Greyduster Fri 29-Jul-16 08:01:54

I will spend thirty to forty pounds a week at Aldi and then do a subsidiary shop at Morrisons for the things I can't get at Aldi. So about sixty to seventy pounds for two of us including a bottle of wine. If I could keep DH handcuffed to the trolley and not allow him to wander off on his own "browsing" it would probably be less! The only place I find it difficult to exercise any kind of shopping discipline is Sainsburys so I don't shop there very often!

Mumsy Fri 29-Jul-16 08:02:46

My fridge is always empty I space things out to make it look fuller! my freezer however is always full! Due to poor health I buy Wiltshire foods for my main meals, I do a fortnightly shop on line for basics which includes cat food wet and dry and cat litter. It works out at roughly £50 a week.

Gononsuch Fri 29-Jul-16 08:08:38

We only shop at Sainsbury or M&S and we drive there because of the parking, we also go 3 times a week and usually spend around £150.

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Jul-16 08:30:08

We had a (small) cat once who would open the fridge and scatter the contents, finishing off any fish bits he fancied. We put a doorstop in front of the fridge door and he somehow managed to drag it away. Comes to something when you've to put a child lock on the fridge when your children are up and grown grin

Anya Fri 29-Jul-16 08:34:44

I shop most days. It's a 10-15 minutes walk to my local Sainsbury's and the same back so I use it as a form of exercise. It varies how much I spend on food but on average £10 a day.

annsixty Fri 29-Jul-16 08:35:37

What a wide variation in the amount people spend. We have quite small appetites now and breakfast and lunch are small meals but a good evening meal. Everything is fresh and we don't do takeaways. Eating out is a rarity although it was not always so. I spend £50/60 pounds once a week in Aldi but this includes all cleaning, washing products and 3 bottles of wine and £20/30 every 2 weeks in M&S. So actual food is probably£50 a week.

Anya Fri 29-Jul-16 08:37:35

I don't buy bread, pasta, potatoes or rice but lots of vegetables. This time of the year it's cheaper because of the allotment. We have a market every Saturday and you can pick up some bargains from mid afternoon eg two punnets of strawberries for £1.

lionpops Fri 29-Jul-16 08:58:46

Wow that would be enough for a family of four on a budget. I used to do budgeting with families and the allowance was 25 per person per week for those on income support. Out of that would come clothes shoes etc.
You need to check your cupboards/freezer /fridge and compile recipes from ingredients you already have. Them make a shopping list. Stick to the list rigidly. If you can't send hubby in as I find mine will never deviate.
Where do you shop. I shop at Aldi and top up at Morrisons. I will then just shop for yellow labels.

grannylyn65 Fri 29-Jul-16 09:01:46

Anyone else single and surviving on a pension ?
My food bill is not very big!

whitewave Fri 29-Jul-16 09:22:04

Yes granny that has occurred to me if someone only has the state pension to survive on. Good cheap nourishing meals would be an idea to start a thread on with ideas of cost.

Perhaps menus for a week or more with ideas where the cheapest but good quality ingredients can be found.

shysal Fri 29-Jul-16 09:35:23

There is just me and two cats plus wildlife to feed, and I can spend anything upwards of £60 a week, even though I usually cook from scratch. That doesn't include the odd top-up at Lidl, M&S or local Co-op.
I am afraid if I fancy something I buy it regardless of cost.

littlefierce Fri 29-Jul-16 09:41:56

Anywhere between £50-£90 per week from Tesco, who own my soul because, points. That includes toiletries, cleaning materials & buying bits in the sale for my granddaughter. Buy my meat & chicken from the farmer's market once a month where I spend about £30. Just the two of us plus my son who comes round for a few meals a week. I hadn't thought of myself as particularly frugal but seeing some of the figs I guess I must be! Only buy a few 'brands' - Heinz & Hellmans for instance - buy basics range if there's no difference in ingredients. We have treats like Jaffa cakes & crisps but don't go overboard, wine never more than £5 a bottle & my weakness, pale cream sherry, £7 a litre (Tesco finest)