Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Broken wrist

(128 Posts)
Mildred Thu 04-Aug-16 10:09:20

Playing football with my grandson yesterday I slipped and broke my wrist. It is now in a plaster and I am going to the fracture clinic tomorrow to make sure it is correctly aligned the fact that I have an appointment so quickly makes me think it isn't. I might need an operation to set it. I am asking for tips on coping with a broken right arm also tips for any operation which hopefully I won't need but if I do. I am lucky as do not live alone.

annodomini Thu 22-Sep-16 20:51:11

I had my partial shoulder replacement during a heatwave. The sling was very hot and itchy, but at least I had been advised that I could take it off at night. I rested the arm on a pillow and even now find that comfortable. Like Nellie, I found the physio torturous but it worked. When I had an op on my thumb joint, I was in a large immobilising bandage for six weeks and the physio involved stretching and squeezing. I found 'popping' bubble wrap specially effective. They physios hadn't thought of that. But after 11 years I still can't snap my fingers.

Irma Thu 22-Sep-16 20:38:39

I was just 64 when I did mine, my OH was a treasure! He did everything for me.

Irma Thu 22-Sep-16 20:35:55

Yes Mildred you have to watch where you put your feet. Mind you I still haven't been into the bit of the garden where I fell over, but I have stop reliving it in slow motion in my dreams/nightmares! shock

Nelliemoser Thu 22-Sep-16 19:48:05

When I had my shoulder tendons repaired, six weeks in a sling it was very uncomfortable and I started getting really down and I worried that it would never get better.

It does help to know this is a stage. The physio needed to get it back in use was even more painful but it worked.
You have to trust the physios.

Mildred Thu 22-Sep-16 16:09:35

Irma I too am paying attention to where I put my feet.

Mildred Thu 22-Sep-16 16:07:53

Yes three weeks difference. I didn't expect to be back to normal but was surprised how much movement and muscle I have lost. Part of the problem is I broke my arm when I was about 12 had a metal cast then, padded with cottonwool, it was a very hot summer so very itchy. My Mum was not sympathetic, she probably didn't get paid for the time she had to take off work, also the nurses and doctors I saw then were unsympathetic too. I remember all that but not any struggle to get back the normal use of my hand. Hate putting things down to being older but that appears to be the reason. The doctor said to use it but not to do anything strenuous. I think you should see about physiotherapy.

Irma Thu 22-Sep-16 15:51:04

It does come good, I broke mine on 19/7/2015, had to have plates and screws, writing was painful for few months, now can do anything, but I won't lift anything a bit weighty. I'm right handed, it was my right wrist, I've just helped my husband paint our daughters lounge and kitchen, I did the ceilings and gloss work, no problems

durhamjen Thu 22-Sep-16 15:40:12

Shows how different it is in different areas.
After I had my cast removed, I was told I didn't need physio. I was asked to make a fist and couldn't. Still can't. My thumb and forefinger only bend halfway. If it's still the same next month, I'll go to the physio in the village.
I still can't chop veg, or cut properly with my right hand, and holding a pen or pencil is hard, although my writing is nearly legible. I am still using the mouse on the left as it hurts to do it with my right hand.
Probably after six weeks in a cast you need to build up the muscles in the forearm as well.
My arm still aches, too, but not as much as it did. Am I three weeks on from you, Mildred?
Broke mine 8th July.

seacliff Thu 22-Sep-16 12:18:35

Over 3 years since I fell when walking and broke my wrist (my own stupid fault), had operation as needed pinning. Now fine, but my sympathies to you all. I am much more cautious now, always worried about another fall. I have also broken both feet at times, so they tested my bone density, was all OK.

Mildred Thu 22-Sep-16 11:37:49

Had cast and pins removed yesterday, feel vulnerable without the cast and arm is very achy. After the cast was off the Dr flexed my hand it was very painful when he did. So how are you durhamjen and anya. Go back in 4 weeks to see if I need physio.

durhamjen Sun 11-Sep-16 16:53:09

I was annoyed that it happened over the summer holidays, but thinking about it now, I couldn't have carried on teaching my grandson if it happened now.
My grandkids know about hospital waiting rooms now, having spent at least six hours waiting for me earlier on. The last couple of appointments I was just dropped off, and called for a couple of hours later.
Reminded me of when I used to go to hospital with my husband. I always used to be able to relax then, because if anything happened, he was in the right place for someone else to know what to do.

Mildred Sun 11-Sep-16 11:40:48

Wash dressed going out in the garden dj don't know how you coped you are made of tough stuff just given myself a stern talking too.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Sep-16 11:32:11

You poor things - what a pain it all is. Wishing you all better soon. xxx

Mildred Sun 11-Sep-16 11:12:26

I haven't had an appointment yet, but am due back on 21st. The consultant said if the wires slip it would be in the first 2 weeks as they hadn't he was happy to leave it for 4 weeks. In the wee small hours I wonder if they have slipped etc. Had a glass of wine last night and really enjoyed it, first one 5 weeks. Wrist hurting now would like reassurance that it is OK but have 2 more weeks to go. Anya you might be aware of the greater pain in your elbow rather than your wrist? Keep checking that I do not have an infection where the wires are.

Anya Sat 10-Sep-16 22:02:20

Next visit to fracture clinic on 19th. TBH the broken wrist hasn't been that painful (except when I bop myself on the nose in my sleep hmm) just very limiting. The right elbow's been much worse, possibly because it's not in plaster so prone to more bumps, twists and so on.

I'm right handed and still cannot pick up a full mug and bring it to my mouth. I can just about use a fork now, but find the ones I had for the GC when they were small work best, as they are shorter.

Luckily I don't need glasses, but fed up as I can't drive..

But having said all that things are improving as I hope they are for you Mildred and DJ .....and best of all I'm beginning to get some sleep - apart from aforementioned tendancy to bop myself in the nose with my cast in the wee small hours grin,

Mildred Sat 10-Sep-16 21:19:20

They are cheaper but fortunately I bought a new pair of glasses this year the old ones were about 10 years old. The prescription had changed a lot but my contact lens prescription hasn't changed in a very long time. I had to take them out in the A&E when they said they were going to put a pain killer in my arm while they pulled it. I go back in a fortnight fingers crossed everything is OK. Like you I feel I might cry if it is not. Your posts are encouraging especially at night.

durhamjen Sat 10-Sep-16 17:01:00

Never thought of that, Mildred. Pleased I only wear glasses, although contact lenses would probably be cheaper.

I have this morning stripped my bed on my own for the first time. Now all I have to do is see if I can put the sheet back on by myself. If not, I'll have to ring for help! Get my family over to make my bed.

How are you managing, Anya and Mildred? When do you have your casts off?
You automatically think that when you've had your cast off, it will all miraculously be like it was before.
I will also be pleased when I can carry a mug of coffee in that hand without it shaking all the time.

Anya Sat 10-Sep-16 09:16:35

Progress....well done DJ it's the little things that make such a difference.

Mildred Fri 09-Sep-16 21:04:24

That's progress! The small things in life give the greatest pleasure when you have not been able to do them for a while. I am tired of wearing my glasses can't wait to be able to put my contact lenses in.

durhamjen Fri 09-Sep-16 12:14:46

I have just managed to cut my toenails.
Very pleased with myself. First time for two months.

Cath9 Tue 23-Aug-16 11:16:52

One night, when we had recently moved to a rented property that had a very small upstairs landing.
I had just reached the landing and remembered the toilet was opposite the stairs, so first went there. Then back to where I slept, which was next to the stairs. As I came out of the toilet I thought I was entering the room and couldn't understand why one foot was not feeling the carpet. I became dizzy and woke up at the bottom of the steep stairs with my wrist swollen with pain. Luckily our elder son was in the house, who first heard me call out to my husband.
When at the hospital they found I had broken my wrist so I had an operation with a plate put in to mend it. Luckily now they don't have to remove the plate, so the arm has been fine since

Irma Tue 23-Aug-16 10:55:05

I couldn't cut my toenails either so I went to my local Spa and had them cut and nails polished and feet pampered and I still go every six weeks, I enjoy it so much.

Irma Tue 23-Aug-16 10:37:43

Yes I drove after about 3 months after checking with consultant. My wrist did ache at first, knitting I'm sure helped my recovery enormously

Mildred Tue 23-Aug-16 07:31:31

Had odd dreams when taking the codiene, very vivid but a bit unpleasant. I slept sitting up easier at first. Glad you had some sleep anya.

Anya Tue 23-Aug-16 07:03:46

Back in the land of the living after 3-4 days of the most awful pain across my upper arms, upper back and shoulders. Just had the odd 'remission' which was bliss and then it returned with a vengeance.

Luckily (?) I had an appointment at the fracture clinic yesterday to have the wrist x- rayed again and was able to mention it to the doctor. Apparently it's almost inevitable and all down to muscle strain with both arms being semi out of action and trying to do things awkwardly, the inability to move around naturally during sleep, plus all the extra reading which I'm doing to fill up the days is not going to help.

I've followed his advice and had the first reasonable sleep (one period for 3 whole hours) last night since this accident.

DJ don't know how you, or anyone, copes by themselves.