Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Advice please

(18 Posts)
Esspee Sun 11-Sep-16 14:57:40

Waxing, epilating and sugaring pulls the hair out from the roots so when it grows back the hair is staggered in growth and finer. Shaving and emery kit cuts the hair leaving a blunt end so when it grows it seems denser and rougher. When she is older she could try IPL where intense pulsed light zaps the hair follicle making it drop out temporarily or laser which can zap the root killing the hair follicle. Hairy legs to my mind are a problem only if dark and obvious but if she is really upset about it I would buy her an inexpensive epilator in Aldi or Lidl. (Around £15). They work beautifully (though could hurt until you get used to it).

Esspee Sun 11-Sep-16 14:46:04

Sara, you need to start a separate thread if you need advice.

Charleygirl Sun 11-Sep-16 14:28:38

sarah if this is your first post you really need to open your own. You cannot really come barging in on another post which is on a different subject. Anyway, after the lecture, welcome!

sarahellenwhitney Sun 11-Sep-16 14:20:20

Sorry not the same request but has any one experienced what I have. I need new fencing in my garden.Five contractors have responded by email to my request. Only two turned up claimed they would send a quote never to be seen again. So what have I done wrong.This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened in the past.One guy actually brought his wife with him.I live alone I did not know any of the guys and I do not bite ,my dog might but not me.Help please?

Sugarpufffairy Wed 17-Aug-16 21:29:13

I know waxing is a bit much for a young girl especially the first time but I really think waxing makes the hair less course and grows back finer.

Humbertbear Wed 17-Aug-16 21:21:20

If she has hairy legs they are going to have to be waxed or shaved. I can still remember the first time my mother shaved my legs, I was about 11. Shaving never made the hair any thicker. The way to harp doe this is to explain that it means she is growing up.

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-16 20:27:42

I started shaving my legs at about 14. Thick dark hair growing on them before I shaved as well as after.

Hellomonty Wed 17-Aug-16 17:10:20

Be careful with the emery mitts. It really is just sandpaper and if overdone can make the skin very thin. For safety I would get her an electric wet/dry lady shave that she can use herself with no risk of cutting.

kittylester Wed 17-Aug-16 16:37:40

When DD3 was in her teens she had a fixation about her hairy arms so we had them sugared a few times. She is too busy to be fussed about it now.

f77ms Wed 17-Aug-16 15:57:25

mostlymama The mits are good for a youngster . Shaving doesn`t make hair grow back thicker or darker , it just grows back blunt at the ends so feels thicker . It really is an old wives tale but look it up on Google if you are unsure and she prefers to try shaving . It`s no big deal , girls seem to grow up earlier than we did x

mostlymama Wed 17-Aug-16 15:22:39

You see this is why I needed to ask here - I knew I would get sound advice. Off to superdrug, thank you

Mildred Wed 17-Aug-16 15:17:12

Superdrug apparently stock them £1.99 for 3. I too shaved my legs and wish I hadn't but I wouldn't be told would I.

mostlymama Wed 17-Aug-16 15:05:19

I've never come across those. Can I find in Boots?

millymouge Wed 17-Aug-16 14:47:55

I agree with Mildred emery mits would be a good idea. They do work well and I don't think they would encourage any more growth.

harrigran Wed 17-Aug-16 14:42:05

I had thick blonde hair on my legs and shaved it off, I wish I hadn't as it grew back black and even thicker.

Mildred Wed 17-Aug-16 13:50:39

A colleague's daughter had the same problem at about the same age, she bought her emery mitts which just rubbed the hair off. Noticed my 5 year old grandson has lots of fine blond hairs on his legs.

obieone Wed 17-Aug-16 13:25:58

Not experienced this, but personally I would no big deal about it, and buy her, and help her use a ladyshave. I dont think it need be a problem really.

mostlymama Wed 17-Aug-16 12:45:04

I'm not a gran, but I love the site so although i usually read rather than post I thought it was a good place to ask advice.

My 9yo daughter has very hairy legs. I don't and nor did my mum, so I don't really have my own experience to fall back on. The hair is all below the knee and thankfully very blonde but still noticeable. She has already started to notice that her friends don't have this. She is not 'developed' in any other way and the hair is not new (though I think it is thicker) so I think it is one of those things rather than anything hormonal.

It has recently started to bother her and I am not sure how to handle it. I don't want to make it into a thing but nor do I want to ignore her concerns. I think she is far too young to be thinking about shaving and certainly waxing - but if it does reach a stage where it is really making her unhappy clearly we will need to find some solution. Has anyone else experienced this with daughters or granddaughters - I would be grateful for your advice