Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

"Girls"' day out in London

(18 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 03-Sep-16 13:36:45

I think a river trip is a really good idea, we live near the Thames so when we have friends to stay we often take a boat trip from Kingston to Richmond or Kingston to Hampton Court. Eloethan's suggestion of Westminster (being central) to Greenwich sounds a good one I think you get a very different perspective on the river. Other than that you could try and find out whether there are any films on that might appeal to your party. I would reiterate all the suggestions re. National Portrait Gallery and particularly British Museum, where you could maybe do just a couple of galleries and head for their tea rooms, I had a nice cream tea there with a friend a couple of years ago I would suggest a "Duck" tour again on the river, I did this in Boston great fun, but I believe I read about one in London that sunk, so maybe not a good idea hmm October could be glorious if there are signs of an Indian summer, London has such great parks. We had a trip to Hampstead Heath a few weeks ago, also lovely but you will need your walking shoes. I'm told The Shard is worth a visit but I haven't done that.

trisher Fri 02-Sep-16 18:14:05

You could try getting tickets for a TV or radio show recording. They are very popular though and you might find it difficult to get the date you want. Worth a try though-Details- www.freegive.co.uk/get-free-tv-audience-tickets.htm

KatyK Fri 02-Sep-16 13:25:13

The National Portrait Gallery is fascinating

Eloethan Fri 02-Sep-16 13:12:20

River trip from Westminster to Greenwich and back (some companies have hop on/hop off tickets)? There's a good crafts market in Greenwich, the Cutty Sark, the lovely Greenwich Park, the Maritime Museum and the observatory. Also quite a few nice pubs.

suzied Fri 02-Sep-16 12:31:28

skygarden.london/
The Sky Garden has fabulous views and restaurants/ bars etc you can book a visit well worth it
Also how about The Ice Bar www.icebarlondon.com all the seats, glasses etc are ice you dress up in gloves etc and have flavoured vodka you have 40 mins in the ice bar and you can have lunch upstairs. Great fun.
Covent Garden has great shopping and free street entertainment , lots of bars and restaurants.

JackyB Fri 02-Sep-16 11:46:19

If you're going fairly soon and are watching the pennies, just a stroll through one of the parks can be entertaining, watching all the tourists and locals sunbathing in their lunch hour.

There are all sorts of novelty guided tours, such as the ones by the homeless, or instead of actually going to a theatre, maybe you'd like to be shown round behind the scenes.

When I last went to London just for fun with my sister, we visited the Churchill War rooms and went to a musical. I decided that history was more interesting than art.

Some other novelty walking tours (only 10 pounds each) I have found, include a "Jack the Ripper", "Literary London", Beatles-themed, Shakespeare and Dickens-themed, Oscar Wilde-themed, Harry Potter-themed, "Really inside Covent Garden", Sherlock Holmes' London, Undiscovered London, Unexpected London ......

www.walks.com/our-walks/all-walks/

Bellanonna Fri 02-Sep-16 10:10:37

Or a river trip and a tea. Or go to the top of the shard. A drink there would cost you the price of a theatre ticket, but you could go just for the view. I guess your timings will have to coincide with the men and their curryfest trip but there are lots of things you can do without visiting galleries/museums that would take up roughly the time of your usual theatre outing.

Mumsy Fri 02-Sep-16 09:44:56

Visit Buckingham palace then on to an afternoon tea nearby.

joannapiano Fri 02-Sep-16 09:07:42

The Tate Modern is an interesting space, has very good displays at the moment, and the café is nice.
Wonderful views from the top floor.

NonnaW Fri 02-Sep-16 08:49:14

A trip on the Eye?

DaphneBroon Fri 02-Sep-16 08:36:48

foundlingmuseum.org.uk/

How about the Foundling Museum? Near St Pancras/Euston and a fascinating, if moving insight into the "bad old days" of Georgian London.

chelseababy Fri 02-Sep-16 08:28:45

Thanks for suggestions so far. I ' not think my friends would fancy museums/galleries but they did say (as I wanted a change from the theatre) that I should come up with some alternatives!

suzied Thu 01-Sep-16 20:56:49

www.virginlimitededition.com/en/the-roof-gardens/babylon-restaurant/menus/saturday-set-lunch-menu
Or book lunch in the Babylon roof garden restaurant , lovely gardens, flamingoes, great food and drink, then do the exhibitions!

suzied Thu 01-Sep-16 20:51:33

How about the V and A there is an underwear exhibition at the moment and there is a nice cafe there or I would go one stop on the tube or a short walk past some glam shopping streets to Sloane Square where you could eat in Peter Jones. The Saachi Gallery is almost opposite and it's free , usually an interesting exhibition, and in lovely gardens. So many nice things to do.

Riverwalk Thu 01-Sep-16 20:33:13

What about a visit to Borough Market

Market

Great atmosphere, artisan foods, tasting sessions, tours, great places to eat, particularly good are Roast, Fish!,Tapas Brindisa.

It's practically next door to The Shard so you could go up there, or a short walk to the South Bank for a quick visit to the Tate Modern or a tour around the Globe Theatre.

Ilrina Thu 01-Sep-16 20:18:39

I couldn't come as I am too far away but there is a wonderful exhibition on at the British Museum which I believe goes on until middle( ish) of November. It is the hidden underwater Cities they found off Egypt. After the exhibition you would still have time for a bite to eat

Bellanonna Thu 01-Sep-16 19:59:03

Would afternoon tea appeal to any of you? Theyre usually leisurely affairs and you'd have a lot or places to,choose from. You mention a bite to eat, so maybe the tea could take its place.

chelseababy Thu 01-Sep-16 19:30:34

For the past few years a group (5-7) of us aged fifties/early sixties take a trip to London by train while our OHs do a local beer fest and curry. We usually have a few drinks take in a matinee at the theatre grab a bite to eat followed by more drink and train home. Any suggestions for an alternative to the theatre? The date will be 22 October and we live in N Herts and Beds area.