Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Request from Grandson Age 6.

(36 Posts)
hildajenniJ Tue 06-Sep-16 17:09:35

It's about yarn really.
My 6 yr. old GS has outgrown his favourite Granny crocheted sweater. He has requested that I make him a new one in red. That's all very well, but he wants it in a gradient from light to dark. I've looked on eBay and Etsy and can only find hand dyed yarn which is ridiculously expensive (he's a tall boy). He won't accept any other colour as he has autism, and is going through a red phase!
Do any of you knitters or crocheters know where I might purchase such yarn at a reasonable price.
Thank you. ?

hildajenniJ Wed 07-Sep-16 19:59:06

Think I've cracked it ladies. I've found some Style craft self striping chunky wool, I think it's called Trinidad. I think he'll like it. He wants me to make a sweater for his teddy bear too. I'm going to email the link to my DD so she can show him. I've also found a really good pattern which I have downloaded. Now I just have to wait for the go ahead.
Thank you everyone.

Kittycat Wed 07-Sep-16 19:12:21

A few years ago my son (now 22 with Aspergers Syndrome) desperately wanted red trainers-like those sonic the hedgehog wears. I managed to get him some ladies ones from Ambrose Wilson mail order. He was really pleased but has never worn them!

Elrel- I have seen them about too! But he will only wear white ones now.

Maywalk Wed 07-Sep-16 17:56:37

Why not go into the website given that shows all the different reds and let your grandson pick his own colours?

Gangang Wed 07-Sep-16 17:27:26

Try www.modernknitting.co.uk

Elrel Wed 07-Sep-16 13:10:41

Recently I've seen several very cool (adult) dudes rocking scarlet trainers!!

Direne3 Wed 07-Sep-16 12:38:44

Can relate to your problem (2x autistic GC). Have you considered dyeing yourself - starting with white wool & deep red mixture and thinning same as you progress through shades (if you see what I mean).

Craftycat Wed 07-Sep-16 12:18:13

Have you tried Hobbycraft? They have a very good range of wool- well our local one does anyway & it's reasonably priced ( unlike a lot of their stuff!)

pollyperkins Wed 07-Sep-16 12:11:13

Ok thanks for advice re shirt tear - will investigate.

angsw Wed 07-Sep-16 11:48:51

Dear HildaJ, what a lovely granny you are.

Having been part of sp needs life for years I know many people, including family, don't take issues related to autism seriously or kindly. Lots,of love to you x

Rabbitgran Wed 07-Sep-16 11:42:42

Kemps Wool Shop (on-line) has some good clearance wools, really good value.

annodomini Wed 07-Sep-16 11:22:02

There's an iron-on tape, very much like Vilene. I used it to hem voile curtains. It eventually came off in the wash but is easy to replace. try this

Alishka Wed 07-Sep-16 11:20:22

I wonder...does your local dry leaning shop offer a repair service? Ours does, farms the garment out to someone who does 'invisible repairs'. The technique (I think) is that they take threads from a seam and weave it across the tear or hole. I had this successfully done when someone's cigarette scorched a dress of mine, but that wasn't a cotton dress...
I remember iron on vilene too (iPad suggested I meant vileness, but I didn't. T'was fabulous stuff. Used it to turn up school trouser hems too.smile
Now then, I've just told my lovely,elderly neighbour it was 11 o'clock, not 12 as he'd thought, we counted the boings the village clock made,
Being helpful ain't arf tiring..
Is it gin time yet?

pollyperkins Wed 07-Sep-16 11:18:32

Thanks! Will look for iron on vilene. Couldnt remember what its called.

Elegran Wed 07-Sep-16 11:08:22

Husbands do expect miracles, don't they? "Invisibly mended"!

Elegran Wed 07-Sep-16 11:07:05

You could try iron-on Vilene. It comes in various thicknesses. It does tend to start to peel off over time, particularly if there are square edges to catch, so round off the corners a bit. It is not as tough as the iron-on denim patches for jeans, but they would be too heavy for a shirt.

pollyperkins Wed 07-Sep-16 10:57:45

Sorry didn't check. Wants it mending. To repair tears! Not rears.

pollyperkins Wed 07-Sep-16 10:56:42

I have a request Alishka. Not really relevant here but DH has torn a new shirt and want sit mending invisibly . I seem to remember that this possible to get iron on backing to repair rears like this. It would look hopeless darned. Does anyone know?

harrigran Wed 07-Sep-16 10:53:17

In the 80s I used to knit jumpers with wool that was several shades of the same colour, TBH they were usually heathery colours but if they could do it then surely they could manage red.
This is probably not a unique problem with autism, try writing to the manufacturers explaining your requirements.

Alishka Wed 07-Sep-16 10:50:34

Actually, Google 'red boys shoes' clarks do a fab dinosaur one, more expensive, tho, but it's great!
(So why am I googling children's shoes? Well, any things better than scrubbing out the bathroom...anyone else got a request?)

Alishka Wed 07-Sep-16 10:46:38

Startrite do a red boys shoe, bout £19? Have a look at their websitesmile

Mumsy Wed 07-Sep-16 09:21:15

www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/

Grannyknot Wed 07-Sep-16 08:54:07

A red rainbow - what a fabulous image that conjures up.

smile

shysal Wed 07-Sep-16 08:47:54

It sounds great hilda, I would think it could only be achieved with different shades as you say. Hope you manage to please him.smile

hildajenniJ Wed 07-Sep-16 08:42:11

Thank you everyone. Some really good suggestions. I think I'll probably buy different shades of the same yarn and graduate it myself. He's a lovely little boy and described the sweater he wants as a red rainbow.

Katek Tue 06-Sep-16 22:18:28

Is this of any use? It's £3 per skein.
www.goodyarnshop.com/multi_1024/4.jpg