Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

leather chairs, help

(21 Posts)
cazzajen Thu 08-Sep-16 16:50:36

I have leather, reclining chairs in my home and I'm noticing that the head rest is turning a paler colour to the rest of the chairs. I think normal chair back covers would just keep slipping off the chairs, any ideas what I could use to protect them Grans?

phoenix Thu 08-Sep-16 20:02:30

Small sheepskin rugs?

Wobblybits Thu 08-Sep-16 20:08:39

Because I am a mucky sod, we have throws over our leather chairs most of the time.

Alishka Thu 08-Sep-16 22:16:14

Natural fading of leather's a b. Isn't it? I wondered, what colour are they? Any chance of you polishing the area with something like a leather colour restorer, the sort of polish you use on shoes?
Alternatively, I suppose, if a chair back cover won't stay in place, get sewing and make your own backed covers, like a sort of half pillowcase??
Or, drastically, you could always glue some tiny Velcro pads to the corners of both the chairs and the covers.....

PamelaJ1 Fri 09-Sep-16 06:09:20

I don't know what they are called but lots of places sell mesh non slip mats. Perhaps you could attach one of these to a throw or something similar?

Alishka Fri 09-Sep-16 08:27:00

I think pamelaJ1's suggestion is excellent! We used these when my husband became increasingly more disabled. From memory, certainly Mobility centres sell this, and you can buy it in rolls to cut to size. It's very thin so won't add unnecessary bulk, too. Can't think offhand about other stores, but Google will be your friend here, I think.wonder if Lakeland or Mothercare do? Hmmm..

cazzajen Fri 09-Sep-16 08:44:48

they're brown. Wouldn't your hair stick to them?

Alishka Fri 09-Sep-16 11:27:36

cj, seems I've still got the end of the roll of the mesh non-slip stuff mentioned upthread. It might work underneath the head covers you're thinking of. The piece I have is 2' X 3'length. Want to try it? Send me a PM if you do and I can post it off to you next Thursday when I can get to a postbox. 1st class, so spect you'd get it next Friday, Saturday at the latest.

Alishka Fri 09-Sep-16 11:30:29

Hair would certainly stick to the Velcro pads if the covers weren't in place -hence my remark that this would be a 'drastic' measure grin

cazthebookworm Fri 09-Sep-16 15:26:53

You can buy a small roll of thin, white, plastic mesh which is supposed to be used under mats to stop them slipping........I bought a roll very, very cheaply at about £1.50 I think, in a chain of shops called Homestores. I use it on my draining board to stop the washing up scratching the stainless steel sink top.
Hope that helps smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 09-Sep-16 17:23:18

We have folded throws over the backs of our leather chairs. They slip down, we pick 'em up again. I only put them there because it softens the look and makes the room look cosier.

Cherrytree59 Fri 09-Sep-16 19:13:42

We use DFS cherish.
Cleaning wipes and leather polish.
2 yrs down the line so far so good.
Colour has not faded

cazthebookworm Fri 09-Sep-16 22:34:08

Ooops slight mistake....I should have said Home Bargainsblush

Alishka Sat 10-Sep-16 11:01:44

Thinking some more...like*jingle*, now that we're into cooler evenings, I've brought out a couple of throws and they're permanently folded over the back of the sofa and chair, handy to wrap round yourself if you're getting chilly late evenings. Had there been any fading (there's not) it would cover it during the day and in the evenings, who'd notice when the lamps are on?

Those chair back covers, tho. The only people I know who have them (plus armrest covers,plus a couple of cushions,plus a teddy bear or something in the middle) are my gardening clients. Average age, 85.

So, for me, artfully thrown throws are the way to go.smile

Alishka Sat 10-Sep-16 11:05:37

cherrytree, I use precisely the same regime. Think my buttoned down burgandy Chesterfield must be, oh, 25+ years old, and still looks great. and no fading.

cazzajen Sat 10-Sep-16 19:59:20

Thank you so much Alishka for your kind offer but I think I'll go down the throw route.

Alishka Sat 10-Sep-16 22:55:17

Pleased to hear it, cj, I'm sure that's the best solution smile

LittleSewing Thu 27-Jun-19 20:35:23

I use Original Gorilla Glue silicone adhesive sealant in the auto shop. from the famous American office Don Deal. comfortable tube with a thin spout. most likely it looks like contact cement in properties. Dear, true, but convenient)))
leather-toolkits.com/reviews/best-glue-for-leather/

101leather Wed 19-Jul-23 10:03:30

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

AreWeThereYet Wed 19-Jul-23 12:45:12

jinglbellsfrocks

We have folded throws over the backs of our leather chairs. They slip down, we pick 'em up again. I only put them there because it softens the look and makes the room look cosier.

We do too on the two seats we sit on a lot. We have cream leather, and fold the throws so they fit over the back and seat. Stops stains from jeans on the seats and stains where heads rest. Teal on one side of the room, gold on the other. They're quite thin but cosy.

Esmay Wed 19-Jul-23 12:55:11

In a naughty mood , I'm tempted to suggest anti - macassars !
They were my grandma's pride and joy .
I had to embroider blue flowers on one set .
Otherwise, it's throws.
I bought mine from IKEA .
Whatever you choose velcro would keep them in place .