Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is Gransnet to you?

(68 Posts)
Mistyville Sun 25-Sep-16 13:23:23

My first time on Gransnet. I have spent a couple of hours browsing and generally learning the abbreviations (think I understand them all now). I have joined to meet with people who are going through the same experiences with me. Weddings, GC, DS and DIL's, not to mention issues associated with 'that time of life' What is Gransnet to you?

Nelliemoser Wed 28-Sep-16 23:54:03

I like the friendship and banter that goes on. It can be very supportive. At times lots of good advice. The fun of things like the pantomime.
Political debate can go on too long and gets too heated which too often ends up in nasty rows. You are not going to change anyone's views so just leave the "room".
I have indulged much time in the word games but not recently.

I like the silliness that sometimes goes on when we let our hair down on a thread and it goes off at a humorous tangent. (Apart from serious threads where someone needs emotional support and advice.) I could not cope with having to be serious and earnest all the time.
I mainly seem to post late at night recently. If I start on GN early in the morning I just waste too much of the day.

TerriBull Wed 28-Sep-16 11:36:40

I have joined in the political debates from time to time, but less so recently, I have come to the conclusion that certain topics go on ad infinitum. It's quite understandable that contributors to GN being of a mature age and varying experiences will hold deeply held convictions that shape their political views. There are a few posters however who I regard as non partisan and less entrenched and don't necessarily trot out the predicatable.

I quite enjoy the exchange of information threads everything from "what I'm reading now" films, tv, genealogy, shopping, travel etc. etc. Certain "Health" topics are of interest to me such as Thyroid and Menopause. I don't contribute very often to the "Good Morning" day of the week thread but enjoy reading the various posts, particulary as to the weather which can be quite diverse in our fairly small country. Often saddened by the estrangement situations and realise how difficult life can be for some on GN. Most days I access GN to read rather than post, but I think it's fair to say that I have gained a bit of knowledge on many subjects and am glad whoever it was decided that there should be an offshoot of Mumsnet, where the language is certainly more colourful and the exchanges at times savage, started up a dedicated forum for not only grandparents, but an older demographic. Yes it's part of my on line life smile

Charleygirl Wed 28-Sep-16 10:40:42

DanniRae you need to own a hard hat and have thick skin, neither of which I possess, hence I stay in soop's kitchen the vast majority of the time having "met" so many kind, friendly people there.

DanniRae Wed 28-Sep-16 07:47:52

I love reading contentious threads Grannyknot but would never dare to add my pennyworth! shock.

Grannyknot Wed 28-Sep-16 07:29:43

Gransnet to me is fun, distraction, amusement, entertainment, learning and friendship.

I never get worked up over contentious threads I usually go shock then hmm and then grin (...they're often downright hilarious once they descend into squabbling).

Maisiejo Tue 27-Sep-16 23:01:56

I love to think that I can just log on at any time to have a little chat about things with other people. Nice to feel that you belong and that other people that you do not know personally, are interested in what you have to say and your opinion.
I also love the word games that crop up, amazing what people think up!!
Try them, they are a lot of fun.

pollyperkins Tue 27-Sep-16 18:12:18

I found Gransnet by accident. I was worried about my daughter's pregnancy and googled the problem and found myself reading about similar problems on MUmsnet (which I had vaguely heard of. ) On there there was a link to Gransnet which I thought sounded intriguing so I started reading threads and finally plucked up the courage to join and post myself. I find a lot of the discussions stimulating or fun and avoid the ones I'm not interested in (which you can't really do in real life!). It's also made me realise how lucky I am (so far) compared to many of the problems that people share.
BTW my daughter had a lovely baby girl who is absolutely fine after all the worry.

soop Tue 27-Sep-16 18:11:16

Gransnetters have, for me, offered a sense of "belonging" to a wider world. We all share similar experiences - there is support in times of stress and sadness. And it is a pleasure to share in the happiness of each others family achievements and celebrations.

Elrel Tue 27-Sep-16 17:56:41

A great comfort and a source of genuine kindness. A feeling that whatever physical or emotional problem crops up someone has been there so I'm not alone with it!

wot Tue 27-Sep-16 17:39:38

GN is a lifeline to me and I'm not being over dramatic.

Tizliz Tue 27-Sep-16 13:13:25

I don't post on the controversial threads as I can't just state my opinion, I would have to justify it and that means research and unless I feel very strongly about the subject it is too much effort. I also don't have the time to get drawn into long discussions - I am already finding I am reading less books since getting involved here. Perhaps when I don't have a business to run I can get more involved.

rosesarered Tue 27-Sep-16 12:32:58

Am on a few forums, mostly books or gardening ones,so Gransnet is a bit different.Lots of advice on here and posts about products, as well as politics, lighter threads and games ( always like a few games, which is why I start so many.)
Don't understand the need for posts to be acknowledged, other posters read them, that's enough really.
Wish more posters had the confidence to state their opinions, otherwise it's just the same old few of us on some threads.
Have enjoyed meeting Gnetters in RL, so hope that will continue and expand for everyone.

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 12:15:15

The Evil Barron Hardup in lederhosen, that would be just silly, and we don't want to be silly, do we ??

Falconbird Tue 27-Sep-16 11:42:55

Wobbly - you could wear the Lederhosen in the Panto.

Greyduster Tue 27-Sep-16 11:40:37

Lederhosen?? Oh be still my beating heart! ?

Falconbird Tue 27-Sep-16 11:37:49

You are awful Wobblybits but we like you. grin

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 11:06:56

For anyone offended -- I apologise now for offending.

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 11:03:34

Oh well I've said it now, so I shall just have to don my lederhosen to protect my nether regions.

No offence intended.

Bellanonna Tue 27-Sep-16 11:02:55

I think arse is allowed, if bugger is. (subject of a different - possibly by now deleted - thread).

Bellanonna Tue 27-Sep-16 11:00:52

X posts wobbly. The large majority on here know you're joking and love you for your humour, but there might be a tiny minority with large spoons,
For me, though, carry on joking?

kittylester Tue 27-Sep-16 11:00:24

Er, are you allowed to say arse, Elegran shock

What a lovely post, Harri flowers

Bellanonna Tue 27-Sep-16 10:58:50

Most of us know you're only joking and love your humour, but as Elegran has just hinted, there are always some.....

Wobblybits Tue 27-Sep-16 10:58:18

I was joking, which I'm sure was obvious.

Elegran Tue 27-Sep-16 10:55:35

Oh do be careful, WB That kind of comment can come back in the future and bite you on the arse!

henetha Tue 27-Sep-16 10:36:08

The range of subjects on here is marvellous I think. I do enjoy reading the threads. And often they are helpful too.
I must admit to being a bit scared of some threads and don't want to get caught up in controversy. So I stay silent even when I am longing to comment, for fear of being shot down! But generally GN is just great.