Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Can anyone advise me on Great Lakes colleges/ gelatin

(5 Posts)
Elegran Sat 08-Oct-16 20:58:38

But surely your digestive system just breaks down any collagen you swallow?

Two questions.

1) How digestible is collagen? Can the body break it down or does it just pass straight through the body?

2) Do we not get enough of the amino acids required for collagen synthesis in our normal diets anyway?

grannylyn65 Sat 08-Oct-16 20:31:30

Yet another subject on which I know absolutely nothing, and have never heard of!!

GlamMa52 Sat 08-Oct-16 20:26:01

I'm using this at the moment. I previously used the Bulletproof collagen protein but it's more expensive than Great Lakes. I've not used it long enough to report if there is any difference in performance between the Bulletproof product or Great Lakes but I do know that I haven't been using any at all for a week and I can tell the difference. It not only helps my joints but my skin looks remarkably good too. Nails are much stronger and my hair has had a growth spurt.
The reviews on Amazon say the taste is awful but I don't find it any different to the Bulletproof. I put it in my morning coffee and don't notice the taste at all. It's completely soluble.

Nelliemoser Fri 07-Oct-16 23:55:47

The wording on this product from the manufacturers is decidely vague.
How about just boiling up s few meat bones and using the jelly that comes off. I would like to know exactly what the producers of this product mean by the words I have hightlighted all the claims for the product that seem rather vague to me.

"Hot or Cold Liquid Soluble Pure Unflavored Protein Kosher Collagen Dietary Supplement Gluten Free. No MSG.
Non-GMOCollagen ProteinHydrolyzed collagen can help regulate the body's metabolism by providing protein of low molecular weight that is quickly absorbed in the digestive tract.
The rapid absorption and distinctive amino acid groups in this formula will impact a large number of metabolic pathways. The body's natural ability to repair supporting connective tissue (bone, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, skin, hair, and nails) diminishes in one's mid-twenties.
Collagen contains amino acids such as glycine, lysine, and proline, which are important amino acids and can be used by the body to build connective tissue structures to support the functions of the cells. Hydrolyzed collagen is the same collagen found naturally in bones, skin, and cartilage. It is a bioactive product containing 90% protein and is easily assimilated by the body. Hydrolyzed collagen is the unique combination of amino acids in concentrated levels. This low molecular weight protein is easily digested which supports the body's natural healing. Collagen Hydrolysate will not congeal because it has been hydrolyzed for quick assimilation into the body. Collagen is important to nitrogen balance, and may prevent age related cartilage damage and collagen loss." « less

Tessa101 Fri 07-Oct-16 23:11:50

Hi, I read somewhere on a previous post about how this had helped ease a few peoples stiff joints and it was recommended. I checked it out on Amazon where it was said the poster purchased it only to find a few bad comments on how it had never been tested and how the packet doesn't give a break down of what is in it. So you could be putting anything in your body.I was ready to buy it until I read this. Could any of you that has used it give me any feed back please.