Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost a useful thread

(12 Posts)
Elegran Wed 16-Nov-16 10:12:46

Statistically, he is likely to go first. Count the widows among your friends and acquaintances.

If she goes first, her DH (or DW for Dear Widower in that case) can read up all the things that HE doesn't know - how to use the washing machine, cook tasty and nourishing meals every day without slaving over a hot stove, remember family birthdays, choose clothes that go reasonably well together and sew on buttons when they fall off - all those little unimportant details that have kept his life running smoothly while he deals with the "important" things.

Im68Now Wed 16-Nov-16 09:55:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanKate Tue 15-Nov-16 22:39:51

That's exactly what I want Chelsea I will get the Age UK booklet.

Thanks all, I shall now get on with living my life to the full. grin

chelseababy Tue 15-Nov-16 17:41:48

There is a DWP leaflet "what to do after a death" and the Age UK has some useful info as well as a booklet you can write info in for your partner e.g. about bank accounts,energy suppliers and what you want at your funeral. Not sure if that's what you mean?

NanKate Tue 15-Nov-16 07:06:41

I can understand why you think I am being morbid Shanma however I am one of those women who have, rather stupidly IMO, left my DH to do ALL the paperwork in our 45 year marriage. I just feel if I had some idea of what to do if I am left first then at least I wouldn't completely go to pieces.

We make the most of our life together and have started booking 3 hols for next year. I am out most days either with DH or friends. I agree Shanma how important it is to enjoy life. smile

Shanma Mon 14-Nov-16 23:49:40

This sounds a little morbid to me. You may both live to be 100, why not enjoy it while you can, and take care of the rest when you have to?

NanKate Mon 14-Nov-16 20:14:18

Thanks Ana I shall check it out.

I have just found a useful webste ts-p.co.uk
Thomson Snell & Passmore
Bereavement Guide

I just hope I don't have to use any of this information soon, or I may go first, but since I turned 70 in September I realise time is moving on.

Ana Mon 14-Nov-16 20:05:30

There is this, NanKate, although it isn't a thread as such.

www.gransnet.com/legal-and-money/practical-advice-after-the-death-of-a-partner-or-spouse

NanKate Mon 14-Nov-16 19:56:15

Thanks Loopylou I actually found Being Prepared but I believe I had started another thread as I could remember a number of people suggesting books and leaflets and things they had done when being widowed. I may be mistaken or I could be remembering a thread someone else started. I checked in my notebook of Things To Do and I had called it Practical Matters.

Thanks Chelseababy I will now try the Google method.

I need to write out 50 times I must not let my To Do List get too long [ hmm]

chelseababy Mon 14-Nov-16 18:29:58

Otherwise Google gransnet + whatever the topic is. I find this better than searching gransnet itself.

loopylou Mon 14-Nov-16 17:14:28

NanKate it's called 'Being prepared', I put 'When someone dies' in the search and it came up.
Hope that helps ?

NanKate Mon 14-Nov-16 16:51:59

A year to 18 months ago I started a thread called 'Practical Matters' where I was asking what one does when the other half dies. Fingers crossed my DH is hail and hearty but I do realise life changes in a instant.

I got some really good advice on what to do, where to go, how to organise everything. I had every intention of printing all the useful replies but as ever I didn't get round to it, I am so cross with myself.

I have put 'Practical Matters' in to the Search above and can't find it. I have gone through the Bereavement forum, where I think I posted it. So far I have found nothing, but that only goes back to the beginning of the year.

Do any of you know how to access old posts please ?