Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Principles.

(70 Posts)
rubylady Tue 15-Nov-16 03:18:54

So, you have parcels turning up every so often of things that you have ordered online.

You have a box delivered. You check the name. It is yours. You check the address. It is yours. You check the postmark. You can't read it. You open it. It contains something that you cannot remember ordering. You check your accounts. You cannot find it. You check for an invoice or written note. There is none. There is only newspaper for packaging. There is no record of where it has come from or who from.

What would you do? Would you keep the item?

ladytina42 Tue 15-Nov-16 15:15:39

Must say, I have often had competition wins arrive on several occasions with no sender or why other details apart from my name and address, I tend to just assume they are competition wins (I enter loads and often have no recollection of the prizes involved due to the large number I enter) so that may be the case here?

notanan Tue 15-Nov-16 14:20:22

I ordered a gift for DH a few years ago, it was kinda a joke gift and the gift card text I'ld ordered to be sent with it sort of "explained" the joke

It came without the gift card (from John lewis as it happens) and because it was marked "gift" the invoice wasn't included. It made no sense without the gift card, was just a weird item in a box, the gift card made the "gag" so I was a bit annoyed they'ld left it out, it was definitely on my order!

Bbbface Tue 15-Nov-16 12:39:42

I'd be worrying I was starting to lose my marbles personally

Is it something you want?

Azie09 Tue 15-Nov-16 12:29:50

I have just remembered a You and Yours programme (Radio 4) piece on something like this last year. It did involve items from big companies being ordered and sent to false addresses, then collected and sold on. I seem to remember it included setting up a false website to put the orders through. It may have included using stolen credit cards. The point was that the goods were being shipped off and sold elsewhere. The sums the companies were losing were huge. Clever what these thieves can do now and we all pay the price through increased insurance.

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 12:07:19

FarNorth had I handed over the parcel the scammers would have had a brand new, top of the range, iPhone for free (or was it a brand new Galaxy? I forget) My son valued the phone at £500+

I would have been lumbered with the bill and they presumably would have sold it.

Simples!

nanasam Tue 15-Nov-16 12:01:09

Exactly what happened to me last week but mine was a Royal Mail Signed For package. I order loads of stuff through Ebay so didn't think twice about signing. No delivery note, nothing to say who'd sent it. Best of all, it's one of those wall walker remote cards - my DGSs will love this if it hasn't been claimed by Christmas! wink

FarNorth Tue 15-Nov-16 11:59:32

I still don't understand how the scammer would make money from doing that, unless the parcel is just a 'test purchase' to see if they can buy something with your card/bank details, then they can order lots of expensive stuff for themselves.
Would that be it?

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 11:39:34

The delivery scam

grabba Tue 15-Nov-16 11:39:05

This sounds the same as the post on the scams. They mentioned unsolicited parcels then someone asking for parcel back claiming it shouldn't have been delivered.
Hopefully it's a gift from a forgetful thoughtful friend

Penstemmon Tue 15-Nov-16 11:36:53

I have 3 large plastic trug stryle baskets in the shed. Delivered to nme in error for an order for 3 small palstic containers. The correct order was delivered but no communication re the wrong items. i have emailed but had no eply. I will be using them soon!

ggmarion Tue 15-Nov-16 11:36:20

On Friday I received an email from a delivery company saying sorry we missed you, the driver left the parcel in your porch and a card through the door. I haven't got a porch and there wasn't a card through the door. I have contacted them but they insist upon a consignment number from the sender. As I don't know who was supposed to have sent it I can't do that. Stalemate! I gave them all their references as per their email, Order number and card number.Surely they can check with their driver. Will await further developments.

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 11:34:44

Jamila and Ruby if it was the same scam I wrote about then the 'courier' would have been round sharpish (30-60 mins) to demand you hand it back. But just in case....don't give it back to anyone who comes to the door.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 11:08:54

rubylady I have just read Anya's post on the Scam thread - well worth a read (as are the other posts).

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 11:04:18

Is it something nice?

We had a parcel delivered to us a while ago, long, heavy and with no indication where it was from. When we opened it, it was a piece of metal.
We were completely baffled, neither of us remembered ordering it and had no idea what it was anyway.

Then we remembered we had asked for another radiator bracket because one was missing from the pack (a tiny, round one for a small radiator). This was a tall one for a very large radiator and a completely different shape.
We gave it to the plumber.
confused

goldengirl Tue 15-Nov-16 10:59:50

Be careful. We had a similar delivery addressed to DH ie something he didn't order. I then took a phone call to say it had been misdelivered and the delivery driver would pick it up. I said the recipient wasn't available and would be in touch. The person on the phone was very reluctant to give his number which gave me a hint that all was not well. I contacted the police who opened the package and then gave notification for the item to be returned to the shop - who knew nothing about it but accepted it. Apparently it's not uncommon though how they get their money from it I'm not sure - and quite honestly don't care! DH said he wouldn't have thought twice about returning it but fortunately my legal background - and my general suspicious nature - kicked in!

Judthepud2 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:59:19

I'd be inclined to go along the son route. You could check with him. If not his gift, You can eliminate him from the inquiries and perhaps read Anya's experience in the 'scam' thread.

audreydoc Tue 15-Nov-16 10:59:02

Could it be a prize from a competition that you entered? They sometimes come with no note indicating where they are from.

chrissie13 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:55:51

Have you entered any competitions or prize draws at all? Sometimes prizes will turn up out of the blue with no correspondance whatsoever and no clue as to where they are from.

Legs55 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:55:45

My DD once had a Habitat rug delivered - left on doorstep whilst she was out - no clue as to who it was for only sent to her address!!! She would never order from Habitat - she kept it for several months unopened, in the end she decided to use it. I would just keep it as it is for a while & then make a decision grin

Teddy123 Tue 15-Nov-16 10:52:10

Fascinating! Please do tell WHAT WAS IN THE BOX?

Mumsyface Tue 15-Nov-16 10:50:49

I believe there is law relating to return and/or payment for unrequested items. However, if no one is requesting payment I don't suppose that would apply, and you are hardly able to return something with no return address. I would put it away somewhere safe for a few months, check the law and sleep with a clear conscience. I send quite a few gifts to my grandchildren, ordered online as I work abroad, and I always tell my sons and forward them the delivery and payment details in case there are any issues. I hope it's something nice and you get to keep it!

SunnySusie Tue 15-Nov-16 10:44:38

Beware! Romano Dias who used to live near me died from consuming a mystery package:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cambridgeshire-man-dies-after-accidentally-drinking-crystal-meth-worth-34000-8931181.html

Cosafina Tue 15-Nov-16 10:40:27

It could well be a gift.

A couple of years ago I ordered a printer to give to DD as a Christmas present - and they sent FOUR!!

I spoke to the delivery company who said they had delivered what was requested and it was nothing to do with them so I could do what I liked with them.

I spoke to the company I'd ordered from who said as far as they were concerned they had only sent me one, so I could do what I liked with the other 3.

So I sold two of them, gave one to DD, kept one for me and gave my old one to the cleaner.

Happiness all round!

Lilyflower Tue 15-Nov-16 10:27:04

I had a copy of 'Time Out' delivered along with a subscription number inked to my name and address. In a complete panic that someone was scamming my credit I called the publication and they assured me that no money was being siphoned from my account. I found out that a kind friend had set up the subscription as a thoughtful and welcome present. Your item might well be a gift.

hollystone Tue 15-Nov-16 10:13:38

Have you ordered off ebay and are awaiting a delivery? If so could be the seller has mixed the items up? That has happened to me twice.